Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 01-18-2015, 10:37 AM

*looks at developer's apps*

What.

You have... another seperate "free" version that also has a "full game unlock"?

Um. What. Seriously.

Makes no sense on a level beyond the not making sense of stealing our purchases.

What were they thinking?

The only conclusion to all this is that eventually the "Free" edition would be removed from the store... stealing it from people who bought that one, too! The full version IAP would be unavailable to restore, and no more updates for it either!

We should get an apology for this stupidity!
And reverting the full game to the full game!!
People who downloaded it free would get it free, but hey, you took it from people in the first place! So fix it!
This is ridiculous!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (97.4 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by Intendro; 01-18-2015 at 04:52 PM..
Old 01-19-2015, 01:33 PM
iPhone 4S

I have set the IAP to free from now to Jan 21st to give all those who haven't deleted the game another chance to shut of iAds for free, I just switched at 1:30 eastern time, so maybe give it a hour of two before attempted as apple usually takes a bit of time to update.

I'm sorry you guys are so angry, but I don't appreciate being called a thief!

I created a warning for the this change and gave as much time as I could for people to activate the IAP for free. I thought this to be a honest way to make this change
I didn't even want to switch the game to free, but once I learned/saw how heavily iOS games are stolen I didn't know what else I could do (I thought this problem was more of a google store issue prior to releasing this game).
So sadly, order to try to make a small amount of money in order to survive I needed to switch to free to play, a model which I don't much like, but if I ever make any other games this is how they will have to be from the get go.

just to give you a clear picture of this, I'm not laughing my way to the bank here.
this game took 6 months to make, it has been in the app store for 7 months. so 1 year and 1 month spent,
in this time it grossed less then $1,200.
it was stolen over 5X the amount of honest DL's

now don't get me wrong, I don't think this entitles me to do whatever I want or take advantage of people who paid for a product. but I didn't/don't think thats what I am doing.
I want in no way to punish people who already bought the game as I appreciate those sales, but if for every 1 paid download 20 are stolen there is no way I as a indie dev can continue making games.
I thought created a way for everyone who downloaded the game still have the game ads free while at the same time taking care of the pirating issue.

And at the end of the day I can't afford health insurance or pay for oil to heat my home, so I have to try to come up with earning more money each month.
Again, this is not your problem as customers, but thats why I tried to switch over to free to play, not out of a mad love for money, just a love for being warm

Anyway, I'm really trying here guys, so sorry if you think I'm a big son of a B

@Intendro I have no intention of removing the other FREE version.

Thanks
-Ash Jackson
Old 01-19-2015, 01:59 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Anyone caught stealing games should get their device detonated and hand chopped off. A simple kill switch from Apple to disable their iPad from functioning should be made available. There should be a mandatory monthly verification check to see if the apps on their device match their purchased history. I'm all down for this. I spend over $300 in a few months supporting developers and in the end I get screwed because of a disease called piracy
Old 01-19-2015, 03:48 PM

Quote:

I created a warning for the this change and gave as much time as I could for people to activate the IAP for free. I thought this to be a honest way to make this change
As I said, you didn't warn anyone in the update notes.

You can't expect everyone to start up a game every time it's updated. There's no real reason to start a game unless you plan on playing it that moment.

For example, people who beat it probably aren't going to be thinking "bug fixes?! I'm gonna go play it again right now!"

People who have a ton of other games to play probably wouldn't start it up right then either. They'd continue playing whenever they wanted to- and suddenly it turns out the purchase was revoked out of nowhere. You see the problem here...

Oh come on, now I'm annoyed again. Ha ha...
Where is the IAP so I can re-claim it free?
*waits at title screen instead of skipping, but it just goes to the character select anyway*
Not there...
*looks everywhere*
GC settings brings up some more settings. IAP... Wait, that's just a Restore IAP button! *presses*
Does nothing anyway.
*clears a level* Nope.

Where is it?

*heads northeast on stage select, past locked gate requiring first stage clear, finds a gate that says to click it for full game*
*purchases for free, removing the gate*
*ads still pop up*

😑 ".................."

*does the same in "Free except not free" edition, is stopped by $1 gate, does not buy*

Why are they both the same...? Kind of expected the "Free" one to be "Free but with ads and a purchase to remove them."

Why do I still have ads in the "not-Free but exactly the same" edition...?

Why?

Last edited by Intendro; 01-19-2015 at 06:46 PM..
Old 01-19-2015, 04:04 PM
iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtmj View Post
I have set the IAP to free from now to Jan 21st to give all those who haven't deleted the game another chance to shut of iAds for free, I just switched at 1:30 eastern time, so maybe give it a hour of two before attempted as apple usually takes a bit of time to update.

I didn't even want to switch the game to free, but once I learned/saw how heavily iOS games are stolen I didn't know what else I could do (I thought this problem was more of a google store issue prior to releasing this game).
So sadly, order to try to make a small amount of money in order to survive I needed to switch to free to play, a model which I don't much like, but if I ever make any other games this is how they will have to be from the get go.

just to give you a clear picture of this, I'm not laughing my way to the bank here.
this game took 6 months to make, it has been in the app store for 7 months. so 1 year and 1 month spent,
in this time it grossed less then $1,200.
it was stolen over 5X the amount of honest DL's

now don't get me wrong, I don't think this entitles me to do whatever I want or take advantage of people who paid for a product. but I didn't/don't think thats what I am doing.
I want in no way to punish people who already bought the game as I appreciate those sales, but if for every 1 paid download 20 are stolen there is no way I as a indie dev can continue making games.
I thought created a way for everyone who downloaded the game still have the game ads free while at the same time taking care of the pirating issue.

And at the end of the day I can't afford health insurance or pay for oil to heat my home, so I have to try to come up with earning more money each month.
Again, this is not your problem as customers, but thats why I tried to switch over to free to play, not out of a mad love for money, just a love for being warm

Anyway, I'm really trying here guys, so sorry if you think I'm a big son of a B

Thanks
-Ash Jackson
That is sad man especially since I pay for my games but other people feel entitled to steal them.
Old 01-19-2015, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amenbrother View Post
That is sad man especially since I pay for my games but other people feel entitled to steal them.
Absolutely the truth. I think a lot of us developers would love to be able to create games and sell them for a fair price. Sadly, the market doesn't seem to support that, making freemium the only real choice.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:35 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 8.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intendro View Post
As I said, you didn't warn anyone in the update notes.

You can't expect everyone to start up a game every time it's updated. There's no real reason to start a game unless you plan on playing it that moment.

For example, people who beat it probably aren't going to be thinking "bug fixes?! I'm gonna go play it again right now!"

People who have a ton of other games to play probably wouldn't start it up right then either. They'd continue playing whenever they wanted to- and suddenly it turns out the purchase was revoked out of nowhere. You see the problem here...

Oh come on, now I'm annoyed again. Ha ha...
Where is the IAP so I can re-claim it free?
*waits at title screen instead of skipping, but it just goes to the character select anyway*
Not there...
*looks everywhere*
GC settings brings up some more settings. IAP... Wait, that's just a Restore IAP button! *presses*
Does nothing anyway.
*clears a level* Nope.

Where is it?

*heads northeast on stage select, past locked gate requiring first stage clear, finds a gate that says to click it for full game*
*purchases for free, removing the gate*
*ads still pop up*

😑 ".................."

*does the same in "Free except not free" edition, is stopped by $1 gate, does not buy*

Why are they both the same...? Kind of expected the "Free" one to be "Free but with ads and a purchase to remove them."

Why do I still have ads in the "not-Free but exactly the same" edition...?

Why?
I seriously laughed out loud when I read this because the same thing happened to me. I just wanted to load the game up, hit the "Unlock Full Game" IAP button, and shut it down. I spent over 15 minutes looking around for the IAP. Then, the game kept crashing because there were so many ads popping up I'm guessing because I was clicking around so much looking for the thing. I ended up giving up after about the 5th crash. It's a shame because I love Ash's games.