Monsters Ate My Birthday Cake Accused of Stealing Art

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by karios, Jun 26, 2014.

1. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    What a ridiculous^9th power this "controversy" is LOL

While the art styles are similar, that's about as much of a "claim" as there is. There's no such thing as copyright or trademark for art styles and has been pointed out ad nauseam this style of art is everywhere as aren't all the game elements. And thank goodness there isn't any sort of protection against such an "egregious lifting" of 100% generic elements else we wouldn't have 99.9% of comic books or video games or movies or anything else.

Skymuffin sums up any specific points I could make here well enough: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=3270230&postcount=45

Coincidence, inspired, or even intentionally paraphrased by the MAMBC artist, it doesn't amount to anything of note beyond a bunch of cries for attention to the accusing artist's work.

Only thing of benefit I got from reading this thread is adding karios to my ignore list and making sure I never get any of his games. He doth protest way too freaking much about nothing of consequence at all.

2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

This was actually my main hesitation of scoring the game so highly when we posted our review on TouchArcade. When I first saw screenshots of it, it was hard to get excited because it literally looked like everything else. This only makes this art plagiarism drama that much more crazy.

3. epik5

epik5 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2013
    #63 epik5, Jun 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
    Its cartoon network, what to expect. Those guys copy ideas from people some times. Before i started playing ios games, i was always playing flash games on kongregate. So one day i come to the cartoon network site and i find games that were ripped off. Like i forgot every name of the flash games but there were many identical to the ones i played on kongregate. Like sure theres a character like johnny test in that game but the level design is the same. They do have some games that are original but the games i played a year back were totally stolen

4. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    Epik5: perhaps, except for the fact that this game was already developed before Cartoon Network got involved.

5. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Most (all?) of Cartoon Network and Adult Swim's iOS games are developed by outside developers and published by those two brands.

6. kmacleod

kmacleod Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    Artist / Writer / Designer
    California
    I actually think Cartoon Network and Adult Swim have a ridiculously good batting average when it comes to the quality of their games.

What I'm not sure of is how their publishing actually works. Are they creating the ideas for their non-liscenced games and simply outsourcing development, or are they selectively publishing games that fit their identity?

7. truechicken

truechicken Active Member

Mar 20, 2014
    The plagiarism accusations are absurd. If there is not a CLEAR copy-paste then its just inspiration, even if its heavy inspired. Everybody copy some ideas, something from somewhere (not necessarily another game).

the art is not the problem :D this game just need another set of stick-based controls :D

8. epik5

epik5 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Do you guys even know that they even have a MOBA now?

9. karios

karios Member

Feb 6, 2013
    Casual Games Development
    Switzerland
    Oh well, since I am blocked you will not read this, but it's probably for the best. All I did was present my personal opinion, on a public forum, in favor of someone else's claims, because I happen to agree with them. If this is "protesting way too freaking much about nothing of consequence at all" then keep me blocked please. Also, the 9th power LOLs probably indicate you are 12.

10. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

...Aaaand this thread has come full circle.

11. karios

karios Member

Feb 6, 2013
    Casual Games Development
    Switzerland
    Well, I was trying to express my opinion and he made it personal. I may overreacted with this one :)

12. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    [​IMG]