Just bought iPad Air...tips and suggestions please

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by ChrisToscano, Aug 3, 2014.

1. ChrisToscano

ChrisToscano New Member

Jun 30, 2014
    hi everyone,

long time iPhone gamer here. Just bought myself my first tablet, the iPad Air. still not sure if I even like it. So big and weird to use after using nothing but phones and laptops for so many years anyway. I have a few questions:

1. What iPad exclusive games are there? I have hearthstone and fates forever... I also know I need to get FTL
    2. What games do you guys prefer to play on an iPad instead of an iPhone? I'm finding it difficult since I am used to laying in bed with my iPhone and being able to easily access all of the phones screen space with two fingers
    3. What position do you play iPad games? Do you sit at a desk? Do you hold the iPad? Does it lay on the desk? Do us have a stand for it?

Any help would be appreciated. Right now I'm still unsure if I should just return it and stick with my iPhone

Thanks!

2. Rennerd

Rennerd Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2014
    There's Hearthstone. :p

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Battleheart and Battleheart Legacy are awesome on the wider screen.

So are the Anomaly games.

Strategy games, be they turn-based or real-time, also play soooo much better on the ipads. XCom, Autumn Dynasty, Warhammer Quest and Final Fantasy Tactics to name a few.

Rhythm games are pretty much made for ipads too. Cytus, Demons Score, Deemo and Theatrhythm are some great examples.

Shmups like Danmaku Unlimited 2, Phoenix HD, and Sky Force are a natural fit for the ipads.

And you'll want to have Zen Pinball and its tables.

And since you are rocking the ipad air, tis great to get the games that look so darn spiffy on it: Infinity Blade 3, EPOCH.2, Anomaly 2, Star Horizon, Sky Force, Asphalt 8 and Oceanhorn are divine.

4. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Shadowrun Returns, Panzer Corps, Blood Bowl, Battle Academy, Space Hulk, Commander: Great War are top tier iPad only games.

5. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    If you just bought it, I would return it because they are releasing new ones within two months. That's what I would do if I were you.

6. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    If you like Hidden Object Games - they are much better on the bigger screen just because of size.

Many of the puzzlers and word games are nicer due to size - also I do a ton of web surfing that is so much nicer on the larger screen - also streaming content, books, photos, etc.

Get ICab browser for other browser emulates so you can get the desktop experience on a portable.

Oh, lastly a lot of tilt racing games are much easier for me to control on the iPad then the phone.

I used to almost exclusively use my iPhone until I got an iPad, and now I almost never use my iPhone for gaming.

Enjoy it! And, it is something to consider waiting a couple months to get the new version if you are not needing or sold on the current version.

7. Pheebers

Pheebers Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    You can't go wrong with KOTOR & XCOM. Absolutely amazing games, perfect on the iPad Air.

8. Pheebers

Apr 27, 2013
    Also -- I had an adjustment period too. I frequently use my iPad while lying down, and I kept dropping it on my lip. Ouch. For a few weeks I considered switching to the mini because the Air seemed so big and heavy compared to my phone (I know, I know...) but it really wasn't long before I realized I loved it.

9. ChrisToscano

ChrisToscano New Member

Jun 30, 2014
    Thanks for all the advice and input everyone! Pluto, I know what you mean about never using your iphone for gaming again. The screen is so small now that I know what playing on an ipad is like.

However, I find it hard to access the entire screen. How do you guys hold the ipad or which fingers do you use when playing? I was trying to play Fates Forever yesterday and you have to use the entire screen to move your character AND you have all your skills that you need to access along the left hand side. Finding it difficult to maneuver.

Anybody have tips for playing with the larger ipad screen?

Thanks again.

10. Pheebers

Apr 27, 2013
    I do play differently with the iPad. Where I used my thumbs for a d-pad on my phone, I tend to use my pointer fingers on my iPad. I also tend to make my d-pads as small as possible when the game allows adjustments. Also, I prop up my iPad to a comfy angle so I'm not using any strength to support the iPad. It makes a big difference.

11. Geertyy

Geertyy Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2013
    I play Fates forever by holding the iPad with my left hand, accessing the skills with my left thumb and I use the pointing finger of my right hand to walk around. Hope this helps. I'm using a mini though, so I don't know about the Air.

12. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    I cannot hold my Air up for long, thanks to RSI pain in my hands.
    Even if you don't have RSI, I think what I pay attention to makes for a more comfortable experience for everyone.
    Important note: I have large hands (covering the screen completely when I put them on it) . For someone with small hands things will be different.

Holding it in my lap is okay, then I mostly play with my thumbs.
    In bed, I put it down and play lying down, or read.
    Non-realtime games are the best for me, then I can take all the time I want.
    Games like Revolution 60 or the Infinity Blades, where I need to access the whole screen in wide moves, are less comfy to play than e.g. XCOM or the Kingturns.
    And I use a stylus quite frequently, that also makes a difference. Make sure to chance between pen and fingers now and then, to avoid cramping.

What you have to be careful with is that you do not curl/bend your hands into an uncomfortable position. I still tend to do that for controls in the bottom right corner.
    And don't put your weight on the arm you use primarily, that is a sure recipe for pain.

If you write on the iPad, don't only use two-finger hunt&peck. Because the glass does not give, each tap sends a small jolt up your fingers, which you will likely feel after a while.
    I still need to give the split keyboard a try, how that works for me, typing mainly with the thumbs.

Oh, almost forgot: for me it doesn't matter what I play, everything is so much better on the large retina screen.
    I could never go back to my old iPod Touch 2 or my iPad2. And I find my wife's iPhone5's screen tiny in comparison.

13. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Although in general I don't like covers and cases, for holding the iPad a case, or even the cover makes a huge difference. For me the length / width is not what makes holding it (particularly lying down in bed) like a book difficult - it is the thickness - it is so thin that I have to pinch my fingers and after a short time it gets old - having a cover / case increases the thickness and make it easier to hold, even though the weight is increased - also the edges don't dig into your hands.

I am guessing you are starting to lean toward keeping it - it really is one of those things that once you start using the larger screen, you wonder how you spent so many hours on a smaller screen...

There are individual games that the iPad is not suited for - and it maybe the game you mentioned is one of them. The better games will have sizable and virtual controls so one can adjust both to iPad or other iDevice.

Nullzone mentioned a stylus, and while I have used them, and own several, I have never had consistent feedback with them - sometimes it works, sometimes you bang the screen for an hour before it registers... I use the stylus for taking notes, but important things like gaming I only rely on my fingers. :D They work 100% of the time.

14. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
  15. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    One more iPad game to add I just discovered: Astro Duel. It's an excellent arcade game with 2-4 player MP all on the same iPad using iDevices as controllers or the iPad itself. A ton of fun with friends!