Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 07-29-2013, 10:09 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandoze View Post
I hope to push another update in the near future and add some player suggestions but am holding off until iOS 7 stabilizes so I can see what sort of performance hit I'm going to be dealing with on 'legacy' devices (iPad 2/3!).

I also take pull request for changes @https://github.com/sethhoward/Brogue-iPad

Thanks for your feedback.
Seth
It kills me that my $600 iPad is now considered a "legacy" device. Anyway . . . any word on when 1.7.3 is expected to drop?

In unrelated news, after about a thousand games, I finally made it to the top of the leaderboard with a completely unconventional setup inspired by one of the weekly contests.

I stumbled on a seed with an early (lvl 2) +3 regen ring and +2 teleport charm. I decided to go full teleport build and enchanted the teleport charm to +10 (recharge in 1 turn) and the regen ring to +8. I eventually added a +3 stealth ring, +2 plate and a warhammer (the perfect stealth weapon). By the time I got the Amulet, I had excellent consumables (multiple life potions, descent potions, invis potions) and multiple useful staves and wands, so I decided to try for Mastery of the Dungeon.

It was touch and go the whole way down and I only ended up with 8 lumenstones (only grabbing the ones I teleported right next to and always choosing safety over any kind of risk). I bypassed a number of levels completely by jumping into various holes and using descent potions. The primary risk was getting blasted by Dragon or Lich fire before I knew what hit me, but when it happened (and it did) I always managed to teleport out and regenerate. It took me several hours of "very" careful play over two days to get from 26 to 40.

It was certainly an odd way to play, given that my usual play style is to explore every inch of each floor, and it relied a great deal on luck with regard to finding enchant scrolls and strength potions on the way down to 26. It would be very easy to play this same seed and have a completely different result due to the RNG.

My next goal is to actually figure out how to keep a group of allies alive into lumen territory. Discord is a bitch.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:50 AM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Look at this game size, amazing!
Old 08-22-2013, 09:14 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by etonblue View Post
It kills me that my $600 iPad is now considered a "legacy" device. Anyway . . . any word on when 1.7.3 is expected to drop?

In unrelated news, after about a thousand games, I finally made it to the top of the leaderboard with a completely unconventional setup inspired by one of the weekly contests.

I stumbled on a seed with an early (lvl 2) +3 regen ring and +2 teleport charm. I decided to go full teleport build and enchanted the teleport charm to +10 (recharge in 1 turn) and the regen ring to +8. I eventually added a +3 stealth ring, +2 plate and a warhammer (the perfect stealth weapon). By the time I got the Amulet, I had excellent consumables (multiple life potions, descent potions, invis potions) and multiple useful staves and wands, so I decided to try for Mastery of the Dungeon.

It was touch and go the whole way down and I only ended up with 8 lumenstones (only grabbing the ones I teleported right next to and always choosing safety over any kind of risk). I bypassed a number of levels completely by jumping into various holes and using descent potions. The primary risk was getting blasted by Dragon or Lich fire before I knew what hit me, but when it happened (and it did) I always managed to teleport out and regenerate. It took me several hours of "very" careful play over two days to get from 26 to 40.

It was certainly an odd way to play, given that my usual play style is to explore every inch of each floor, and it relied a great deal on luck with regard to finding enchant scrolls and strength potions on the way down to 26. It would be very easy to play this same seed and have a completely different result due to the RNG.

My next goal is to actually figure out how to keep a group of allies alive into lumen territory. Discord is a bitch.
Very interesting way to play! I'm probably going to have to give this a shot.

Oh, our poor legacy devices. The good news is speed has been improved in this last update but (and a bit more in the one just submitted) but you'll only notice it running a certain iOS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynuyt View Post
Look at this game size, amazing!
It is isn't it! and I just shaved another half a meg in the next update. Honestly the entire size is the pretty much the splash title page. After that it's all procedurally generated.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:23 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

So Sandoze, 1.7.3 dropped like over 48 hours ago. I can only assume that everything has ported over nicely and we are just waiting for Apple's approval?

Just kidding of course, we all appreciate all of the effort you've put into this and will patiently wait until you have time (so, Monday?)
Old 09-14-2013, 09:20 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by etonblue View Post
So Sandoze, 1.7.3 dropped like over 48 hours ago. I can only assume that everything has ported over nicely and we are just waiting for Apple's approval?

Just kidding of course, we all appreciate all of the effort you've put into this and will patiently wait until you have time (so, Monday?)
No joke, I submitted the 1.7.3 update last Sunday! Sadly Apple started taking iOS 7 apps/updates on Tues and I have no doubt I was kicked to the back of the queue as it's been a 3-4 day turn around in the past.

Super bummed it didn't hit for the weekend but hopefully Monday.

Just a heads up. This version also adds 11 insanely difficult achievements!
Old 09-18-2013, 05:54 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

Update is now available. Liking it so far, although I still haven't figured out how to reliably use wands of empowerment.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:47 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Are there any plans to make this universal? I realize it's much better suited to the larger iPad screen but I'd love to be able to play this on my iPhone.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:22 PM
iPad, OS 4.x

Default Player question

I'm a long time Nethack fan, so when I saw this I had to download it. It's really awesome! I can't figure out what part of the player info means, where it says I'm lit or dark. It doesn't seem to be related to light in the cave because I've stepped into dark places where the game says it might be a good place to hide and my info still says I'm lit. to I'm standing in a bright area. And my info says I'm dark. Can anybody explain?
Old 01-25-2014, 07:08 PM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

Amazing port of an amazing game. Thanks!
Old 01-26-2014, 10:47 PM

Thanks to Joeschmoe for bumping this old thread. Love RLs, but suck at them. Won't hold that against you, Sandoze - 5 stars!