Quality over Quantity

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Jdragoon19, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    I have been looking at the iPhone and iPod Touch Games section and I see that there are a lot of Chillingo games in the first 1 or 2 pages or so. I don't know about you guys, but I would like 1 quality game to be released than 10 so-so games that most people probably won't even buy because they're releasing too many games at once.

I think that Chillingo would make more money by releasing a quality game with a lot of effort put into it rather than a lot of games released with probably half of them not getting that many sales.

2. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #2 backtothis, Jul 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
    Same, I have a much easier buying "premium" priced games from EA, Gameloft, Capcom, etc. than the mass amounts of $0.99 games that release regularly. It's actually quite hard for me to dish out even a dollar on boring casual games that I know will be deleted in 15 minutes or less (aka nearly everything in the top 200 besides Angry Birds, Words with Friends, and Fruit Ninja that can be considered a casual game). Swords and Soldiers was a really good Chillingo game though. D.A.R.K. wasn't too bad either. There's also Feed me Oil, Storm in a Teacup. Orions 2, etc. They've released a few pretty decent ones lately. It's just that they release a lot of trash as well.

3. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I buy 59p/99c games when I'm almost out of credit and after I've bought the titles I actually wanted the credit for.
    I'm probably my own worst enemy though I should just keep the credit on my account for the next game I really want but have to spend spend spend.

4. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #4 backtothis, Jul 13, 2011
    I know just what you mean man. When I used to buy weekly gift cards instead of using my credit card, it was terrible. They were always $15 cards, but often, there really weren't that many good games to add up that amount. However, I just can't seem to let iTunes credit sit there and not be spent. But yeah, it's been a lot better since I started using my card instead. Don't pull the trigger on dollar games anymore unless I know it's something I know that I want. I still have a hard time not buying Gameloft games on debut day though (aka I've never been able to take advantage of one Gameloft sale since I started iOS gaming December 2008). 9mm tonight! Quality over quantity any day. I hate it when I see things like "I can get 7 games instead of picking up Real Racing 2. Is it worth it?" on the forums.

5. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I agree with the whole quality over quantity ethos in general, but it's the total lack of quantity in so many "quality" games from the likes of EA and Gameloft that stop me from buying them. You can have all the quality in the world, but you still need to keep the consumer playing for a set length of time, so why would I go for a 3 hour game over a 10+ hour game on a console which includes both quality and quantity?

6. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #6 backtothis, Jul 13, 2011
    Lol, I guess that's really the whole argument on Gameloft games right there. The thing is that many of us don't want to play a console or spend the amount new console games cost. I'm not a fan of Gameloft's single-player games either, which do generally last about 5 hours, but their multiplayer engine is awesome and makes the price of admission well worth it at $6.99. I've spent a LOT longer than 3 hours on Uno, Asphalt 6, Dungeon Hunter 2, Nova, Nova 2, MC, MC 2, and Starfront online. The number would probably be closer to 300 hours, most likely more. With the impressions on 9mm so far, it's looking like it'll be Gameloft's best mutliplayer game so far. Really looking forward to that. While quality might appear to be lacking at times when compared to Gameloft's console counterparts, there's more than enough other reasons to get them for some of us.

7. yemi

yemi Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2011
    Because your paying less money , obviously no developer will commit that many resources for 3-10 games then they would for a $60 game. Was this statement serious or said in jest?

8. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    I agree, I mean I have saved a buck for 2 weeks cause there has been nothing mind-blowing to me... Especially Chillingo has the urge to release new game every week and usually it's $.99 which I don't mind, but why always so casual? SiaT was latest game I liked by them and Rocket Bunnies.

9. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    Out of all the top games that Chillingo has released, many of them are not nearly as good (IMO) as some of Gameloft's games, such as the Modern Combat series, NOVA series, Gangstar series, Dungeon Hunter 2 and a couple of their racing games. I would rather buy a great $10 game from Gameloft than 10 good $0.99 games from Chillingo.

@MidianGTX I understand what you're saying but what does Chillingo have to offer that is better than what Gameloft has to offer?
    Btw, even if a game that Gameloft makes, has fantastic quality and little quantity, they still make money right? I don't think they really care what people have to say. (I am not bashing Gameloft) They listen a little but not much. If their game is good, it is good. If it's bad, it's bad.