★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Cat Quest - Isometric open world RPG(Looking for feedback :3)

03-21-2017, 05:41 AM
I agree, you just want to do like super mario run but its a bad way imo. Most people thinks its free and they are downloading, after playing some they see it has a full unlock price and they are rating 1* and bad reviews. I don't suggest you to do that but its your call ofc.
03-21-2017, 01:55 PM
I'm glad for a premium sales model, but the difference between an upfront purchase and a one time unlock can be pretty significant. I imagine the many fans of premium games here at TA (which represents a relative minority in the bigger industry) who are interested in the game will purchase with either model based on the pedigree, involvement of the company in the community, and recommendations on the forums.

That said, a premium price point (versus a single unlock - not comparing to F2P) will end up creating an accessibility issue if the game doesn't get well marketed and promoted. On the flip side, startn g as F2P with a single unlock will remove the initial barrier of entry and allow for a potential broader audience of conversions to the paid game. I agree with other posters that given how limited in use the paid unlock function is used, some individuals may provide low ratings as a result of misunderstanding the commercial model when finding and downloading from the App Store without any background.

It is hard to say which option is better or worse within the current App Store ecosystem, but no matter what choice I think the game will have some great success from the folks here at TA and I'm very excited to purchase when it launches!
03-21-2017, 03:42 PM
I still see no problem offering two versions at the same time.
One a "lite" version and the other a "full" version.
We used to call lite versions "demo's" back in the old days and most games had them.

This marketing stragety seems to be coming more common at Steam. It has actually caused me to purchase more games than I would have otherwise.

The "lite" version should have a limited amount of early content available as the restriction, such as only being able to reach level 5 or something, and that should be well documented in the games information.
That way the potential customer can see how the game plays on their device and if in fact it is the type of game they are interested in.

So long as the game is labled "Lite" and not "Free" I don't understand where the negative reactions for this are coming from. 😕
03-21-2017, 04:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubbieoz View Post
I still see no problem offering two versions at the same time.
One a "lite" version and the other a "full" version.
We used to call lite versions "demo's" back in the old days and most games had them.

This marketing stragety seems to be coming more common at Steam. It has actually caused me to purchase more games than I would have otherwise.

The "lite" version should have a limited amount of early content available as the restriction, such as only being able to reach level 5 or something, and that should be well documented in the games information.
That way the potential customer can see how the game plays on their device and if in fact it is the type of game they are interested in.

So long as the game is labled "Lite" and not "Free" I don't understand where the negative reactions for this are coming from. ��
Apple discourages having lite versions of games. I also think you run into the same problem of letting people experience the game before paying any money, which takes out the curiosity factor. Attention spans on mobile are too short, and prices (even the "high" end) are too cheap to do that, I think it's better to make someone pay if they want to see what your game is like. Either fully paid, or fully free to play, I don't think there's any room in-between.

Fondle me on Twitter:@JaredTA
03-21-2017, 09:39 PM
Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions everyone.
We'll discuss it among ourselves and see what the best solution is. Seems overwhelmingly that you guys suggest we just go straight premium, which is interesting!

On a side note, Unwinnable just wrote a glowing article about Cat Quest too!
http://www.unwinnable.com/2017/03/21...runtled-tabby/

Our award winning game, Slashy Hero, is out now on iOS and Android! Try it!
Be a Bro and follow us on Twitter @TheGentlebros!
03-22-2017, 12:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardumb View Post
Either fully paid, or fully free to play, I don't think there's any room in-between.
I guess we can agree to disagree. 😉

Last edited by stubbieoz; 03-22-2017 at 11:28 AM.