Anyone know why Wooden Labyrinth 3D exploded?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by eVp, Jul 16, 2009.

1. eVp

eVp Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    #1 eVp, Jul 16, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
    It's not that I'm complaining as the developer, but I'm just wondering.. why? On June 16th the free version sales, which surprise surprise were slowly headed downwards, started to double in the US. After reaching another plateau where they were stuck for over week the sales exploded. In the last couple of days WL3D has become the #1 free game on the store!

I was earlier contacted by Apple to clarify that I owned the rights to the music of the free version. They said it "could be used for marketing", but never told if or where. I haven't found anything online, but I'm now seeing the results?

It just strikes me as strange that Apple would use WL3D for marketing, since it still hasn't been featured once (paid or free) on the App Store. And if not on the store, then where?

So, if anyone has seen it promoted by Apple somewhere, please share where. Any photos or such would be cool and worth a promo code.

Oh, check out the sale too, the full version is still sold at $1.99 for the rest of the day and at $2.99 tomorrow. :)

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=303881859&mt=8

Thanks,

Elias

PS Craziest/funniest explanation also wins a promo code! :D

2. Tavoss

Tavoss Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    I'll keep an eye out for you, but congrats man!

3. eggzbacon

eggzbacon Well-Known Member

May 17, 2009
    The Golden State
    People must've wanted a 3D version

Picture 1.png

4. monk666

monk666 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Maybe Steve Jobs in his sleep, uttered "oohhh oooh 3d, 3d, threeee-deee wooden labyrinth" and his Apple handlers followed his decree and did something for you.

5. eVp

eVp Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Ok, I just decided that the craziest explanation also wins a promo code! (you are winning at the moment!) :D

6. eggzbacon

May 17, 2009
    The Golden State
    It exploded because the US marines found out that the game was the game Iraq people play so they bombed the game.
    People are now flocking to get the game before it explodes

7. monk666

monk666 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2008
    i'm winning... at the moment?? Whatttt... wat do u mean by at the moment?!?! :confused: giveme my promo code already!!!! I'll be check my PM!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I already brought the game, but i wouldn't mind having a code to give to a nephew who just got a new ipod.

8. eggzbacon

May 17, 2009
    The Golden State
    Maybe Steve Job's thing between the legs was made out of wood and it got bigger and taller and he got all his henchmen to buy Wooden Labyrinth 3D, instead of the 2D version because he thought 3D looked more realistic

9. iReview

iReview Well-Known Member

May 25, 2009
    I thought the application opened a virus onto all computers, forcing people to buy it, and forcing all the apple computers and itunes computers to change the page however needed?

10. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Downloaded by all those people upgrading to iPhone 3GS's refusing to have any non-3D games on their iPhone...

Side comment: Does anybody see 3GS and think Apple 2GS? :confused:

11. eggzbacon

May 17, 2009
    The Golden State
    Hey eVp, whos winning in the most reasonable post?

12. eVp

eVp Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    It seems WL3D free just passed Assassin's Creed to become the #1 Free game at the moment. I just passed out three times in a row.

13. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    While I much prefer WL3D, just to be correct, Labyrinth also was updated to include a 3D option.

14. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Congrats!

Though I currently see Mirror Free at the top of the list, how does such a pointless (and negatively reviewed!) app reach the top of the list?!? :confused:

15. themendoz

themendoz Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Well Congrats Elias, this is the game I bought a while ago since I thought it offered the best quality.

As for the explination; it's quite simple: given the current planetary alignment, Saturn's influence on orphan baby seals near the artic has diminished their appetite, increasing the world squid population at alarming rates; the resulting price decline augmented world seafood consumption, along with salmonella poisoning. These sick masses who have missed their jobs or classes, have had a strong urge to reminisce back to happier days when wooden labyrinths were the utmost loved board game. So as you can see, Steve Jobs had no option but to quench masses' desires with your game. It all makes perfect sense when you think about it.

16. GaiaIllusion

GaiaIllusion Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Student
    加拿大
    Probably because I just finished my infinite flux capacitor and it "accidentally" set off a time loop for the game downloads on WL3D while I was looking at the page for it. Thus, the download number exploded.
    On a similar note, "Are you a Moron" also rose to the top free apps around the same time I finished my device.

17. bboyken

bboyken New Member

Jul 3, 2009
    It's my fault

I got an iPhone 3GS and gave my wife my old iPhone. WL3D was the very first game I installed on my wife's iPhone because she has always loved the old fashioned wooden labyrinth games I knew of no better way to introduce her to iPhone gaming.

Frankly, that explains everything regarding the recent success of WL3D. If you knew my wife, you would totally understand! ;)

18. Oh, you know how it goes. I told two friends, and they told two friends, and so on, and so on, and so on.

Curiously, we all now have great smelling hair.

(Let's see how many fogeys get that reference.)

19. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
  20. eVp

eVp Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    #20 eVp, Jul 17, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2009
    I wonder how I didn't think of that myself? It rather makes sense now.

Oh, please PM me if you find the real reason.. This lil devil made me smile, so you get a code.