Universal Glitchskier (By Shelly Alon)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Feb 2, 2017.

1. xjaff

xjaff Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    Haha yea those camera shaped ones are the most dangerous, they stop shooting once you are past them so I typically just dodge and try to get my ship past them as quick as possible. I only shoot them if I have the laser, even then I sometimes just dodge and move on.

2. xjaff

xjaff Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    Awesome :)

Keep going! You'll take over number 1 soon, not far now.

3. shellyalon

shellyalon Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2014
    hamburg
    In celebration of Glitchskier's release and featuring I'm doing a weekend 50% sale for my two other games:

Sputnik Eyes (www.sputnikeyes.com / https://itunes.apple.com/app/sputnik-eyes/id1011987577?mt=8)
    and Partyrs (www.partyrsgame.com / https://itunes.apple.com/app/partyrs/id908308532?mt=8).
    (Should refresh soon)

Neat puzzle games, very different from Glitchskier!
    Additionally, I've heard you, and Glitchskier should recieve an Update in the next couple days that will allow playing it on iOS 9. Just be sure to check that your device is supported!

I can't express how happy I am that you're all having fun. I was very insecure about Glitchskier and it changed a lot during the one year development. At one point it even had a Match-3 mechanic to it. I'll post some pictures of how it looked during the development in the next days <3

Thank you all <3

4. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Holy crap, that sounds awesome. I'd love to see those pictures. :)

Unrelated: iOS 9 compatible now, folks! GO, GO, GO!

5. retrogamOR

retrogamOR Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2013
    Oops.

Purchased this,now that it's IOS 9 compatible,without reading the description.My bad.

I'm on the original iPad AIR.Good news is,it seems to work fine so far.......Much more responsive when i turn distortion & static off though.

6. Remote_

Remote_ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 26, 2011
    UK
    Hooray! Finally got it now it's been updated.

As expected from all the comments by regulars I trust, it's fantastic.

Gameplay, concept, execution and presentation are superb.

Bravo!

7. xjaff

xjaff Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    Glad you guys also had the chance to play this little gem. I just gave it another go tonight after a couple of weeks break, so much fun. This one won't leave my device for a long time.

8. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Glitchskier

[​IMG]

Has been nominated for the TouchArcade Forums' Game of the Month

VOTE HERE!

***If you could write a few words in the Game of the Month thread telling us which game you voted for and why, that'd be super cool. There's a chance that your words could end up in a front page article on TouchArcade, so come on guys, immortality awaits!***

9. 9x16

9x16 Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    EST/EDT
    I just picked this up myself, after considering the itch.io option long enough for the game to fall off my radar. I assume folks are still playing, since the endless mode is a nice instantly hectic experience that's perfect for mobile, unless you get sucked into multiple attempts, which itself is also a mobile hallmark.

However, in referencing Downwell, I think a few qualifiers are in order. Yes there are four procedurally generated stages and pallete unlocks, but this game is much easier to clear. I managed it on my third run, although I will admit that I was familiar with the mechanics
    (e.g., only red elements are destructible),
    having watched a number of YouTube videos. I suppose I expected more of a challenge after the second stage, since none of the videos went past its boss. Despite purchasing Downwell at release, and then getting it for the PC, I still haven't cleared it; I understand it has a hard mode as well. Maybe it's a matter of expectations, but it seems that the procedurally generated games I've been drawn to – Super Hexagon (beyond the first few levels), Dungeon of the Endless (on easy rather than too easy), FTL (even on easy), Steredenn, Nuclear Throne, and GoNNER to name a few – are all tough to clear. 868-HACK is an exception
    , but it loops, providing additional mechanics and distinct end points that an endless mode doesn't
    . Now, playing the campaign mode doesn't result in a clear on every run, but each starts out slowly, and due to the lack of RNG, the bosses end up being less interesting than the balance of the campaign.

I don't mean to sound critical. I'm enjoying the game and think it's one of the best STGs on iOS. I also think it's the best example of a procedurally generated STG on any platform. It's a unique, cohesive package. While I don't know whether the dev is willing to invest additional – potentially significant – effort into addressing the game's difficulty, I think doing so could make it a classic.

10. Jean pierre

Jean pierre Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2017
    IOS 9.3 as a minimum requirement.
    I cannot try this game. Please make it compatible IOS 8 also

11. sebgo

sebgo Well-Known Member

My iPh6 gets hot and eventually makes it awkward to play.

12. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Holy crap how did I miss this lol

This game kicks ass!!

Billy

13. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    This game is just done so well. I have been playing it since last night and it's addicting. It's definitely one of the better shoot'em ups to come out recently. The art style is absolutely fantastic. The relative controls work perfectly. I love the different enemies and bosses. The enemies come at you from everywhere and it gets pretty intense.

You can't go wrong here for only $1. I hope they add some more content such as different cursors and colors. Hell maybe they could add some DLC I'd be willing to actually pay for. I think $1 was too cheap to charge in the first place.

5 star review left on the AppStore.

Billy

14. Troid

Troid Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2018
    #115 Troid, Mar 20, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    Bump.

Picked up this little nugget a few days ago. As previously stated in the thread, a solid effort here with a noteworthy theme and cool music. A nice variety of weaponry that allows for different combinations. Awarding points for shooting certain objects places a nice emphasis on a destructible environment—an often underused motif in shmups. Having certain enemies that can’t be destroyed mixed in with those that can adds variable to the gameplay. Nice selection of color palette changes as well, although I found the mix of red and white in the original to be best. The relative touch is excellent. The game is fullly Premium. Endless mode is a nice challenge.

The game can be knocked for gameplay that is overall too basic, for a campaign that is slightly too short, and for minimal replay value due to the above two reasons. The player will be left wanting more, which is both good and bad. However, despite its shortcomings, Glitchskier is still a solid title.

EDIT: Put the game on my iPad. Contrary to what has been said here already, I feel that it plays far better here than on the iPhone. Not just mechanically, but the gameplay itself. Instead of just having a border that separates the field of play from the dead space (a la Downwell), the border serves as an overlap for objects to pass between both the dead space and the field of play. Effectively, the dead space is actually part of the gameplay, yet, at the same time, it’s not. This is a smart use of landscape mode for a game that would otherwise be automatically set in portrait. Moreover, the dead space allows the player to see enemies entering the field of play in advance, whereas on the iPhone they fly in with no warning whatsoever. The extra screen space of the iPad also cuts down on finger obstruction by a large degree.

As with the majority of iOS games, I recommend playing on iPad, but with a game like Glitchskier that offers such a different perspective, even more so.