★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
04-18-2017, 06:41 AM
Wow! Vandgels looks even MORE incredible! So is this going to be a separate game altogether?
04-20-2017, 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by macatron View Post
Wow! Vandgels looks even MORE incredible! So is this going to be a separate game altogether?
Thanks! Yes, it'll be a separate game, but linked storywise in the overall world.

04-20-2017, 06:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nullzone View Post
Awh, so no inquisition, crusades, and fun communal activities for the whole family like witchburnings?

Jokes aside, this sounds really interesting.
From the technical side, procedurally generating stuff like the citadel sounds awesome. Repeating myself here, but you really should wrap all your stuff up in a game engine expansion for Unity and offer it on their store.

Also, I am curious if newer iThingies could handle both the Brightridge and Vangdels world in one game. With an area transition between the two, it shouldn't be a problem at all. But having them both as one huge area would be great.

Thinking ahead: If that's manageable, it should earn you an Apple feature for "biggest open world available on iOS". Heck, if the rumours are true that Apple will present a new iPad Pro in May, you should contact them right away: show off how you can push even the newest devices to (and past) their limits, and fingers crossed for a keynote feature. I still remember the "whoa, AWESOME!" jaw-dropper effect the Infinity Blade demo had during that keynote. And compared to Nimian Legends today IB looks pretty crappy.

Sidenote: Maybe someone from TA staff can even help you with getting a foot in the door at Apple. Definitely worth a try.

As for the screenshots:
Well, awesome as always
These specifically stand out, and I'd use them for advertising / in the Appstore:
#4 - Giska in front of the window: the lighting is just great.
#2 and #6: They show off the hilly nature of Vangdels pretty well. #2 looks a bit better in my opinion, mostly because in #6 the vegetation suddenly stopping at that ridge on the right looks a bit odd. Sidenote: That what would be a very minor detail in all other games immediately draws attention here shows again how amazing your stuff is
#7: Epic view. I wonder if the gorge is even deeper than suggested by the screenshot (I can see treetops at the bottom already). If yes, adjusting the view a little downwards to show that better could further improve it.

P.S.: Sorry I didn't reply to your last email yet, bunny-hunting and work kept me pretty busy the last week or so.
Youre always filled with great ideas! the background story does touch on Crusades and inquisitions actually - and i love the witch burning part. Im not afraid to add something thats violent if it suports the story - i guess what i mean is i dont run for the gun off the bat, but things like crusades are actually high o my list, becasue i think anything that is socially relevant today makes a good adventure - universal themse like oppresion, greed etc...

I think the new I devices could handle it - the plan is to build all 5 worlds as seperate games, and then at the end if i have resources to publish a full version like you said that would have all 5 worlds connected by those roads that currently just have invisible walls I would add in some extra content and call it Nimian Nations.

That window shot is one of my favorite - and it is 99% going to be the opening shot for Vandgels. the entire tower is generated from procedural seeds and objects and its pretty cool.

The gorge is deeper - she is standing about 3/4 of the way up, and the ground where you see the trees below is another plateau about 1/3 above sea level - ive made it about as vertical as it can handle
04-21-2017, 05:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protopop View Post
Youre always filled with great ideas! the background story does touch on Crusades and inquisitions actually - and i love the witch burning part. Im not afraid to add something thats violent if it suports the story - i guess what i mean is i dont run for the gun off the bat, but things like crusades are actually high o my list, becasue i think anything that is socially relevant today makes a good adventure - universal themse like oppresion, greed etc...

I think the new I devices could handle it - the plan is to build all 5 worlds as seperate games, and then at the end if i have resources to publish a full version like you said that would have all 5 worlds connected by those roads that currently just have invisible walls I would add in some extra content and call it Nimian Nations.

That window shot is one of my favorite - and it is 99% going to be the opening shot for Vandgels. the entire tower is generated from procedural seeds and objects and its pretty cool.

The gorge is deeper - she is standing about 3/4 of the way up, and the ground where you see the trees below is another plateau about 1/3 above sea level - ive made it about as vertical as it can handle
Wow. It is looking fantastic! I've been so busy lately, but whenever you're ready to test it, I'll drop all my other gameplay so I can help. If you need it. Also, it's so encouraging seeing this much progress so quickly.
04-21-2017, 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisrshideler View Post
Wow. It is looking fantastic! I've been so busy lately, but whenever you're ready to test it, I'll drop all my other gameplay so I can help. If you need it. Also, it's so encouraging seeing this much progress so quickly.
Thanks Curtis - i love the support

In the next update there are not as many forward facing changes as before, but the focus was to rebuild the game code so i could build new games faster, make new stories faster. Its been a lot of somewhat tedious work, but it is paying off - with the new system im able to make terrain, buildings and stories in a fraction of the time. more importantly, the new system lets me change things simply. Im able to change an entire landscape in moments literally, same with buildings, and the story engine is now completely modular - before it was very very hard to even move or add a single chapter. Now i can drag chapters around at will, add and delete them, and the system will just scan and handle it, so im really looking forward to it. That will be update 7 which is almost ready. Then update 8 will be the last main update, and it will be the version that i use as the base for the other worlds - whcih are already under construction in a side project

04-21-2017, 11:48 AM
And now, for something completely different:
Just had this idea out of the blue, that a few recurring themes and elements would be nice.
Like those smaller statues that are scattered through Brightridge: Vangdels doesn't look that different, it still has trees and such, so they'd fit right in. And I can see them in the desert of Doonpillar just as well.

But the real idea was to have a Gnome house everywhere: obviously, in the desert it won't be a mushroom, but a hollowed out cactus

Ah, just learned that the low round ones are called barrel cactus.
Lo behold, gnome villages

Last edited by Nullzone; 04-21-2017 at 11:54 AM.