Rolando has sold over 700,000 copies

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Vende, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Vende

Vende Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    That makes it's creator Simon Oliver a millionaire.

And I think a lot of credit should go to this site. And I mean a LOT.

http://www.tuaw.com/2009/03/14/rolandos-simon-oliver-in-the-daily-mail/

The Daily Mail has reported the story of our friend Simon Oliver, creator of Rolando (whom we interviewed quite a while ago when the game originally came out). Apparently things have worked out very well for him -- the game has sold 700,000 copies so far, Oliver's set to be a millionaire, and he's now, as he says, the head of a game studio that already has a hit under its belt. Very impressive (too bad they still call him a geek).

It's stories like this that are pushing the little App Store bubble we've got going nowadays -- every investor with money to spare (not as many as usual, given the current economy) is happy to sink it into releases for the iPhone, and while there is plenty of money being made, not every developer ends up like Oliver (let's not forget he had a quality product in the first place).

But there is some good news here: without the App Store and the iPhone platform, this never would have happened. Say what you want about Apple's release policies or their initial "no SDK" choice, but with the iPhone, they've brought development and distribution down to anyone who can dream it.

2. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    wow!! 700K thats alot. Hanoi has sold over 1million ny Ian Marsh I think and he is on the forums here at TA

3. AndyL

AndyL Well-Known Member

Those downloads include the lite version right??

4. stargazer513

stargazer513 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    oh wow 700K and..hanoi sold over1M>?? wow interesting facts lol

5. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Not at all surprising, Rolando is a phenomenal game that everyone should own. :)

6. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    yeah. big difference between lite and also $0.99 app. vs Rolando ($9.99 at launch)

arn

7. yourofl10

Dec 11, 2008
    yea thats the free Hanoi I think tho.

8. Vende

Vende Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    That and Bounce On really are original iphone games, that's probably what I like best about them

9. stargazer513

stargazer513 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    ohh including lite. scared me haha

10. yourofl10

Dec 11, 2008
    Yea seems lioke Bounce On is it own orginal idea.