Icon inspiration±

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by suksmo, Jan 30, 2011.

1. suksmo

suksmo Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2010
  2. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    Bigger problem is that judging from user reviews, your app isn't very stable.
    But if you're looking for suggestions for the icon, I'd recommend getting a girl to model for the source of the video. I'd consider doing a 3x4 grid, with square tiles. And I'd use a background that pops better, rather than plain blue.

3. Syndicated Puzzles

Syndicated Puzzles Well-Known Member

#3 Syndicated Puzzles, Jan 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
    Hello Samuel,

I don't want to give you a hard time but originality would help you more than a great icon.

THE APP STORE DOESN'T NEED ANYMORE SLIDER PUZZLES. The video aspect is nice but you should have dug deeper in your execution of the puzzle to separate it from all the other thousand sliders.

Use your creative juices to come up with something better than a slider like this. The app store is polluted with these puzzles. Not sure why Apple keeps approving these?

If you want to see a slider puzzle that is unique check out Zarte.

Imagination is a beautiful thing.

4. u2elan

u2elan Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2010
    iOS Developer
    Portland, OR
    Wow dude, why the hate?

5. Syndicated Puzzles

U2elan where to you read hate in my comments?

No hate just want to light a fire.

6. suksmo

suksmo Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2010
    It appears Zarte is one of yours! - touche!

7. suksmo

suksmo Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2010
    I'm really up for the girl model idea but don't know where I'd get one cheap! either that or a copyright picture of a girl (if you are reading this and are hot please please send me your pics).

3x4 grid is a good idea - I might even go down to a 2x2 grid as I'm bringing out a free version giving out lots of basic levels with in app purchase.

What color/style of background pops better?

8. u2elan

u2elan Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2010
    iOS Developer
    Portland, OR
    The comment about the App Store not needing anymore slider puzzlers in all caps. I think the dude has a neat idea, it just needs some polish.

Personally, I've never even played a slider puzzler on the App Store, so I guess I just don't understand the motivation behind that comment.

9. suksmo

suksmo Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2010

I can fully understand there being too many slider puzzle games on the store. There's 1000s. However mines does go somewhere different and I'm out to work out the polish I need as hey its pretty neat and especially with the iPad 2 likely to come with a front facing camera should stand a decent chance.

If my app was basic in any way it would have been cloned. Working out if that app would work took a considerable amount of effort and expertise.

I don't want to put any clones into the app store myself. I would love to continually make really unique and different apps. Scrambleface was a cool jumping point into working out what can be done with those cameras. It stands up as something that isn't just another tower defence or angry birds clone.

10. Fleabag323

Fleabag323 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    Maybe a picture of a camera (I'm thinking like the stock Camera icon or Camera+) that's scrambled into four pieces like in the game? (or maybe 9 pieces)

11. Syndicated Puzzles

Suksmo,

Good. The first stand is defending your product the second stand is going deeper into what makes your slider unique. You have the answer in the back of your head and it isn't a pretty face. Stick to the concept not the fluff. The answer is right in front of you.
    Think about the 3 dimensionality of video versus that of a still picture use that to your advantage. Turn ordinary video into geometry and layers that allows users to recognize patterns making your app that much better. A video of a person looking into a camera is too close to a still picture used as the content of a slider. Your success depends solely on the processing of the video image before it gets turned into a slider.

And yes Zarte is mine and it is like no slider on the store.