Advice or reviews on working with 3rd party Iphone app developers on a simple game.

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Riley26, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Riley26

Riley26 New Member

Apr 6, 2010
    Hey all,

I am looking to create my own Iphone app but I have limited Objective C knoledge. I have been shopping around to farm out the work to a outside developement service but I have been running into a lot of issues.

I live in new york city and would prefer to work with a local developer buy so far I have found mostly companies in California, Texas, and overseas. The one company I found in New York wants 10-20 k. That is a little more than I was looking to spend and doing buisness overseas feels very risky.

Any advice on where to look or what to do?

Also if anyone has any experence working with a company like this good bad or indifferent it would be a great help.

Thanks

2. mobile1up

mobile1up Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    what type of numbers were you looking at?

any reasons why you dont want to do business overseas? there are great tools in place that means you can actually work more efficiently with people overseas. i did pizookie challenge from sweden with a los angeles base company; when i slept, they worked and vice versa.. we had meetings daily. was great.

you need to evaluate risk based on what the developer has done before. check references as a start - if you want another developer to check out what you are working on; send me a PM and i can take a look. i've been doing this for years; but depending on the scale of your project; that 10-20K could be about right..

3. steelfires

steelfires Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2010
    Candy Mountain, Charlie!
    He's saying a simple game. Most indie's probably won't be looking to spend 10-20k on a game that might not even make 1k.

4. mobile1up

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    if you were to ask different developers what a simple game was; you could get differences in your answers :) i'd be happy to look at what he wants to do and give him a quote on doing the development.. pizookie challenge was a simple game.

5. steelfires

steelfires Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2010
    Candy Mountain, Charlie!
    true. I've only been programming for about 2 years, so what I would think is complicated, you would probably think simple.

6. Mr Jack

Mr Jack Well-Known Member

Aye, but we Indie's are working on games that we want to make. Quoting to make a game for someone else is a different matter.

7. Riley26

Riley26 New Member

Apr 6, 2010
    Wow

Hey,
    thanks for all the replys and advice this site is great.
    To answer a few of your questions ...
    I feel it's risky to contract over seas because I off all the scams that populate the Internet and I would feel incomfortable wiring money overseas.

Yes you are correct though I have great confidence in my product I feel it is a big risk to sink 10k, not counting advertising- promo, into a project that may or may not leverage amy ROI.

To explain it in basic terms the game would be a bit like checkers. With some animation, custom art work, and sound effects.

I would be eager to talk to you all some more in detail one on one.

Thanks for all your help
    Riley

8. mobile1up

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    some of us "foreigners" also have US bank accounts :) in fact i also frequently visit the US - mostly on business.

i have popped you an email - with what you are explaining at a very high level, it should not be 10-20K project. have you thought about integration with facebook, twitter, openfeint et al? some are easy, some are harder :)

9. MexicanJesus

MexicanJesus Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Mobile1up is on a hustle

10. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    #10 Flickitty, Apr 6, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
    Mobile1Up has been around for a while, with knowledge of various platforms. I would trust them to do my work as they have built up quite a portfolio over the years.

I cannot think of a single benefit to keeping development 'local', within NYC. We are rapidly approaching a world economy and decentralization of project management. The last two games that I have on iPhone, I never met the programmers (two different people) in person.

11. What are your other games? I only know about Flickitty.

12. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    Snails was ported to iPhone. I worked on this title for Palm/Windows Mobile back in 2002 and it became a top seller in the world, and won numerous international awards. It is a clone of the Worms/Scorched Earth/Gorillas type of game (turn-based destructable terrain).

I didn't actually work on the iPhone version, but the art is mine. IMHO, the controls aren't very good, nor intuitive; they (the controls) are extremely dated and harken back to an era of early mobile gaming. Flickitty actually came about, because Flickitty contains the controls that I suggested for Snails.

Fullscreen art can be seen at my site: http://devastation3.com/index.php?c=snails_all

The official site is through PDA Mill: http://www.pdamill.com/prod_sn.shtml

It is still a decent and viable game, and contains a lot of entertainment value, especially if you like to blow stuff up and play against another person (on same device). I'm not sure what it costs these days.