IPhone only titles.... So why....

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Papa Deuce, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Papa Deuce

Papa Deuce Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    #1 Papa Deuce, Mar 8, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
    Can I DL some of them, and they play just fine on my mini?

Like Game Dev Story is supposed to be iPhone only, but it plays just fine.... In fact, there is a button on screed that says "pad on".

Why are they not listed as universal? I have at least 1 other app that is listed as iPhone only.

Are there other games I can play that are supposedly iPhone only? Especially RPGs.

2. Topherunhinged

Topherunhinged Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2014
    #2 Topherunhinged, Mar 8, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
    I'm only hazarding a guess but to my understanding in order to be considered a 'universal app' the art assets, among other things, need to be re-crafted for iPad resolutions and functionality. Such titles are compatible but not optimized when considering iPhone to iPad; the inverse not being true.

3. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Because your iPad is automatically putting them in 2X zoom. The "Pad On" option is not that it is recognizing you have an iPad, it is an option to turn on the virtual D-Pad near the bottom to emulate playing the game on an old phone. If you tap in the bottom right corner of your iPhone only games you will see it minimize the magnification to the original aspect size.

True universal builds will not be as grainy and blurry as those iPhone only games on your mini, though you may not notice it as much. Trust me, on a regular iPad, you will notice the difference!

4. Papa Deuce

Papa Deuce Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    @ Bool....

OK, that makes sense...... but I am OK with not having great clarity for certain games..... like game Dev Story..... I guess I never knew what was happening... I just thought that the game didn't look great since it was around for a while.

But I would want clarity on new(er) RPGs....... Though, I also don't mind playing Spiderweb's games, and they look like what they are.... ports of games made many years ago.

TY both. :)