GTA 3 Graphics modding guide (must see)!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Dan007, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Barcâ

Barcâ Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2010
    #101 Barcâ, Jan 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
    Anyone have the MAX PC settings gta.set file? I have the iPad 2 and iPhone 4s and wanna push the envelop with those devices. apart from the 10 or so modded cars i have.

I am also working on getting the RealGTA3 mod working. so far I am having a bit of trouble but thats due to certain device restrictions, and polygon counts for some models are way too high for the device to cope with.

Got the game to load the mod, but then it gets stuck on the loading screen (after the loading bar reaches the end). So I know that its a model issue/poly issue. Working on individually placing replacing realgta3 textures now.

OH before I forget. Be careful when altering default.ide handling.cfg files. If you mess with the handling of the cars too much the game will crash very often. It runs, but crashes like every 7 minutes. When I altered the default.ide file the game crashed the millisecond I opened the app. Like the very next millisecond it crashed.

Video: http://yfrog.com/jo3qtjz

2. tomi676

tomi676 New Member

Jan 4, 2012
    Thanks for answer dude, I'm going to try this on my i4, and with this low-res (with extra light, blood etc.) game works better than "original" setup by R*? (better frame-rate)

3. moebius_23

moebius_23 Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Buttons almost outside screen

Hi there

Downloaded the MAX file and the BEST file afterwards, but all with the same result. The Buttons were almost outside the screen, which made it difficult to drive the car and do about everything else. Is there a solution to this problem?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Greets
    Daniel

4. tomi676

tomi676 New Member

Jan 4, 2012
    reset control setting and this should restore to default :)

5. moebius_23

moebius_23 Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Thanks a lot

6. Marck527

Marck527 Active Member

Dec 28, 2011
    Damn, when my ipod 4g wasnt jailbroken i changed the graphics to LBG's graphic mod and it never crashed but now i am jailbroken it always crash even with the default graphics. i am now restoring my ipod and rejailbreaking to see if this fixes it. (I think one of the packages i installed caused this to happen.

7. ge0c31t

ge0c31t Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Changed a couple of cars but what im really happy about is i switched all the radio stations to the ones i liked from Vice City/Stories and some GTA IV ones.
    Had to re-encode the mp3s though but it works :)

8. Marck527

Marck527 Active Member

Dec 28, 2011
    Mind telling us how? :)

9. ge0c31t

Sep 17, 2009
    #109 ge0c31t, Jan 5, 2012
    In the gta.app folder you will find the files....
    CLASS
    CHAT
    MSX
    LIPS
    RISE
    FLASH
    GAME
    HEAD
    KJAH all with an .mp3 extension

Copy these files somewhere safe before proceeding! :)

These are the files of all the radio stations.
    At first i just copied over a 320kbps file but that didnt work so i opened up one of the files from the app to see the settings and just copied the settings from that onto my new files.

I re-encoded my other GTA music files to these settings.......
    Sample rate - 32000
    Bitrate 96k and they all worked.
    Just rename your mp3 file to one of the above stations eg HEAD.mp3 and copy it back onto your device using iexplorer or equivalent.

If you have an mp3 joiner program you can make up your own playlist and just re-encode to these settings and it should work.
    Never tried any higher settings yet so im not sure if thats a go or not.

GTA3 with the Drive soundtrack is kind of interesting!

10. Jusdef

Jusdef New Member

Jan 5, 2012
    NEWBIE: I've DL'd GT3 for iPad 1 & I can not drive for more than one block without the app closing. Will using this tweak to disable some of the features allow me to play the game or do I need to take my iPad to the apple store for repair ? I've had similar closing/freezing issues with other apps over 300MBs. Im currently running iOS 5.01.
    Thanks

11. Marck527

Marck527 Active Member

Dec 28, 2011
    Alright thanks ge03c1t , I might try that later and jusdef reinstall thaw game if it still crashes do a full restore and also make sure you have atleast 1gb of free space ( I find games don't crash that often if you have free space idk why)

12. writingsama

writingsama Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008

Hm, there are 2 reasons:
    1) This is an old PS2 game. This means it was designed for TV resolution which is well below any A4 resolution game.
    2) Shadows, traffic lights, blood, etc. are all part of the same thing because they are implemented as a second rendering pass and alpha transparency. A tile-based deferred rendering chip with the bandwidth the A4 provides generally chokes and strangles and dies on these things. But it manages to pull it off anyway. It would have been entirely possible to enable the features independently so that it could strike a better balance, but that would require probably extensive code changes on top of translating from the Emotion Engine architecture to an ARM processor.
    3) Newer devices with shinier graphics! Ooh! My iPad 1 is obsolete for games, I'mma go out and buy an iPad 2! (it may sound preposterous, but as more and more games do things like this, it snowballs inside your head)

13. writingsama

writingsama Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    I also would like to respectfully request an optimized iPad 1 file. Draw distance is not an issue for me as long as I can see far enough to drive well. Thanks!

14. mcwaller123

mcwaller123 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Student
    Montreal
    #114 mcwaller123, Jan 5, 2012
    Works ! THXXXX For that! Now I need Cars Mods lol!

15. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    #115 sid187, Jan 5, 2012
    with the holidays and imame i have not had much time to mess with gta.. can i just add other .mp3 files to that same directory? also, can you use online radio stations that load up as a .mp3 in your mp3 player of choice...

for some reason iv been listening to http://bootliquor.com/ ( it downloaded to winamp in a mp3.. so i just put this file in the folder up above right? its down roots American/rock/blues/blue grass pretty much they play all the good USA/LOCAL music from east to west coat and even in the that farm land people always forget till it come s to corn whiskey..best of all no stupid commercials i have no interest in.. anyhow, im hoping i can just drop that mp3 file into that folder and it will play. with no commercials etc.. its located from some bedroom in cali, Frisisco i think.. think country/rock/blues/jaz/etc etcwith a bunch of adult swear words, sex, etc..t.. im not one for new country but i do not mind old country music.. with story telling type song writing, rock on.

one last thing since im running a ipad2 to with the a5 (my guess the iphone 5 will get this same chip, or maybe they will give the ipad a a5 over clocked with the ipod touch getting the same over clocked a5 as im assuming apple would not want to piss off its already annoyed customers who were where expecting a iphone 5 .. i guess it all comes down to what kind of supply they have left over when it comes to release the new iphone/ipod/ipad...they could do what hey did with the ipod touch 3 8gig... use the ipod 2 hardware not be very vocal about what was inside it... i know i figure it was the latest hardware wheni t came out.. but i did not buy one so at least i did not feel likei got burnt for not reading the fine print... thinking it was the latest hardware to later find out it was not.. i thought was rather chicken crap move... read the fine print people. anyhow im rambling. . chris.

16. O__o

O__o Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2010
    There are many trees missing compared to the iPad 2 :D but looks much better than the original version for A4 devices!

17. K0N3

K0N3 Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2012
    #117 K0N3, Jan 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
    Mod GTA 3 For iOS With Custom Cars!!
    (No Jailbreak Required)

Now that Grand Theft Auto 3 has been released for iOS and other platforms, we can now dig inside of the file structure to see what's what. It turns out that this basically a direct port of the PC version with some obvious changes for touch support. This is great news because now we can use the standard GTA 3 modding tools for Windows to add some cool mods. The best part is that you don’t even need to be jailbroken to do this!!

VEHICLES
    Below are some files for you to download and add to GTA 3 to change the stock cars to real world cars (all tested by myself, iPhone4S, iPhone4). Some of these new cars have custom wheel rims, so to get the custom rims to show correctly, you'll have to install the dmagic1wheel Mod first!! If you want use a custom car, you'll have to rename the .dff and .txd files (that you've downloaded) to the correct car that it will replace...for example:

Download the Mini Cooper S... this will come with a BANSHEE.TXD file and a banshee.dff file (and a read me file for handling and colours). These files are great if you want to use it instead of the banshee, but to use it for say the Stallion, you'll have to rename them STALLION.TXD and stallion.dff respectively.

Custom Wheel Rims:
    dmagic1wheel

If you're struggling installing the Wheel Mod, then download WheelModInstalled and just add to gta3.app and replace the original files, easy. There are three files to replace, default.dat, default.ide and NOWHEEL.dff :thumb:

To use the Wheel Mod you have to tell the car to use it.

For example, open the default.ide and find the kuruma and change the wheel to use the nowheel.dff, number 89, like below...

[​IMG]

To check that this has worked, start a new game and you should now see this...
    [​IMG]

The Wheels are invisible because SOME of the custom cars have custom wheels, this mod will make the stock wheels transparent (for that model) so you can see the custom wheels in all their glory

Once you have the cars installed correctly, you can add the car colours (not all cars come with custom colours), you'll find them in the readme that came with the downloaded car, these colours need to be added to the carcol.dat file. Most of the cars also come with how that particular custom car should handle (also found in the readme), you'll add this to the handling.cfg

IMPORTANT
    To add custom cars you'll need to be editing the right .img file for your device. GTA3 Mobile comes packaged with two different sets of cars, first the iPhone4S and the iPad2 are treated to the xbox cars textures (Hi-Res, 3D engines etc) and the iPhone4 and below use the PC textures. The image file you'll be editing will be:

gta3_pvr.img for iPhone4S & iPad2
    oldveh_pvr.img For iPhone4, iPhone3Gs & iPad

[Tutorial] How To Mod GTA 3 Mobile With Custom Cars

Sports Cars
    Banshee can be replaced with:
    Mini Cooper S / Porsche Carrera GT / Aston Martin Vanquish / Lamborghini Diablo / Ferrari 360 Spider / Dodge Viper

Cheetah can be replaced with:
    Mini Cooper S / Porsche Carrera GT / Aston Martin Vanquish / Lamborghini Diablo / Ferrari 360 Spider / Dodge Viper

Infernus can be replaced with:

Stinger can be replaced with:

Two-Door Cars
    Esperanto can be replaced with:
    Mini Cooper S / Alfa Romeo 156 / Mazda MX5 / Fiat Panda

Idaho can be replaced with:

Manana can be replaced with:

Stallion can be replaced with:
    Mini Cooper S / Alfa Romeo 156 / Ferrari 360 Spider / Mazda MX5

Four-Door Cars
    Kuruma can be replaced with:
    Alfa Romeo 156 / Audi S8 RS / VW Ventro VR6 / Chrysler 300C SRT-8

Perennial can be replaced with:
    Mercedes 320 / Fiat 600 / Dacia 1300

Sentinel can be replaced with:
    Alfa Romeo 156 / Audi S8 RS / VW Ventro VR6 / Chrysler 300C SRT-8 / BMW 760i

Vans
    Blista can be replaced with:
    Audi A2 / Mazda Demio GTR

Moonbeam can be replaced with:
    Audi A2 / Mazda Demio GTR

Industrial Trucks
    Linerunner can be replaced with:
    DAF XF 530

Mule can be replaced with:
    Mercedes Splinter

Yankee can be replaced with:
    Coca-Cola Truck

Public Service
    Ambulance can be replaced with:
    Mercedes S

Borgnine can be replaced with:
    DeLorean DMC12 / Nissan Skyline

Bus can be replaced with:
    School Bus

Cabbie can be replaced with:
    Mercedes A Class CL

Miscellaneous
    Dodo can be replaced with:
    Full Winged Dodo

To Be Continued...

18. K0N3

K0N3 Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2012
    #118 K0N3, Jan 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
    ...Continued

Government
    Enforcer can be replaced with:
    Beta Enforcer

Police Car can be replaced with:
    97' NYPD Crown Victoria / Lamborghini Diablo Pursuit / Lancer Evo

Gang Cars
    Cartel Cruiser can be replaced with:
    COMING SOON!!

Diablo Stallion can be replaced with:
    Mini Cooper S / Alfa Romeo 156 / Ferrari 360 Spider / Mazda MX5

Mafia Sentinel can be replaced with:
    Alfa Romeo 156 / Audi S8 RS / VW Ventro VR6 / Chrysler 300C SRT-8 / BMW 760i

Yakuza Stinger can be replaced with:

MODDED IMG FILE WITH THE CUSTOM WHEEL MOD ADDED, CUSTOM COLOURS & CUSTOM HANDLING!!
    I've finally added 9 custom cars with custom wheels, colours and handling. I've packaged all the files together in one download it make it easier for you, just exact the Modded IMG file and then drag and drop ALL 7 files into gta3.app in iExplorer, that's it!! You'll will have the Wheel Mod installed aswell as the cars listed below.

iPhone4S & iPad2 ONLY!!
    4SModdedIMGfile

iPhone4, iPhone3GS & iPad
    iP4ModdedIMGfile

The 10 Cars That I have Replaced Are: *UPDATED*
    Cheetah - Porsche Carrera GT With Custom Wheels & Handling
    Stinger - Aston Martin Vanquish With Custom Wheels & Handling
    Esperanto - Mini Cooper S With Custom Wheels, Colours & Handling
    Idaho - Audi TT Coupe With Custom Wheels, Colours & Handling
    Kuruma - BMW 760i With Custom Wheels, Colours & Handling
    Manana - Mazda MX5 With Custom Wheels
    Sentinel - Alfa Romeo 156 With Custom Wheels
    Perennial - Mercedes 320
    Infernus - Lamborghini Diablo
    Banshee - Dodge Viper

19. ge0c31t

Sep 17, 2009
    #119 ge0c31t, Jan 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
    Thanks KON3 :)
    used your iphone4 pack and looks awesome ;)

[​IMG]

20. K0N3

K0N3 Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2012
    You're welcome...

I'm currently in the process of modding the buildings (Mcdonalds, Burger king etc) aswell as Claude (main character) and some total conversions... Hopefully I can add Vice City Story missions plus all side missions :D