Games you're perpetually on the fence about buying.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Patton, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Patton

Patton Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Grad Student
    Denver
    I don't know about you guys... but with all the games in the App store, there are games that are perpetually on my to list to buy, but for whatever reason, I pass on them to buy other titles. Flight Control was one of those, even at .99, I ignored it until just a couple weeks ago. I finally got Hero of Sparta when it dropped to .99, and recently jumped into Myst.

Anyways... I was hoping you guys could get me off the fence one way or the other on these titles, and share what titles you can't decide whether to buy or not:

SimCity: I loved Sim City 2000 back in the day, but the reviews of this game are mixed. Instability seems to be a huge problem.

Rolando: This one I've been interested in since the beginning, but with R2 following up so quickly, I feel like spending $6 on a game with a sequel being released today is foolish.

Zenonia: Never much of an RPG fan, but I loved the Golden Sun series on the GBA. The time involved puts me off... which is why I held off on Myst. 40 hrs+ of playtime is a big commitment.

Tornado Mania: Great reviews, the lite version was fun... but just can't decide.

I'm sure there are more... Doom has been causing quite a fuss the last couple of days. Anyone have any thoughts on Wordfu... for .99, I should just buy it.

Currently getting playtime on my 2G touch: Flight Control, Myst, Hero of Sparta, Peggle.

2. MojoArcanus

MojoArcanus Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Wish I could help...I'm on the fence about some of the same titles.

3. Killquake

Killquake Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Hands down get Zenonia, Rolando was just meh for me, but I know alot of people loved it, Simcity was good if your into that genre, a bit of lag. Not sure about tornado mania

4. Patton

Patton Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Grad Student
    Denver
    #4 Patton, Jul 1, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
    Uhh... ignore this post. Something weird happened with my reply.

5. Mathieu914

Mathieu914 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Student
    Canada, Québec
    I hate Zemonia, it make me remember the time when I was playing Pokemon on my Gameboy...

6. pirkle

pirkle Active Member

May 29, 2009
    Manager - Interactive Marketing
    Dallas, TX
    On the Fence

Games I was on the fence for...and my resulting impressions:

Tiger woods = Happy, should have bought immediately
    FieldRunners = I was not very familiar with tower defense games before this...but it hooked me immediately
    ZenBound = Was unsure of how well I would like the concept. It was fun at first, now I harly ever play it.
    Sentinel = Looked at this game a lot before actually buying. I don't play it much. Not as fun as FieldRunners
    RealRacing = Cost made me delay a few days, positive reviews pushed me to do it. Great game.

7. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Touchgrind and Sway come to mind for me. I wish I could recommend some of those games to you, but they were all "meh" to me. Well at least the ones I tried.(Zenonia, Rolando, Tornado Mania)

I've been wanting Word Fu as well, but I think to myself. "How many f*cking word games do I need really?" :p

8. legowiz

legowiz Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Behind you!
    zenonia isn't like most RPGs, it is a fun, polished action RPG and is worth the price, you should definitely get it, wordfu is fun for awhile but gets old quickly cause' there is hardly anything to do/unlock, and flight control is really fun, if you haven't already gotten it, you should.

9. Alichan76

Alichan76 Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    #9 Alichan76, Jul 1, 2009
    SimCity if you like frustratingly mini versions of anything, with the odd bug thrown in for good measure.

Rolando if you like moving balls around in treacle

Zenonia if you like whiling away the hours and days grinding your way from level to level.

Everyone should own Wordfu:)

10. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    WordFu - just buy it.

11. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Zenonia - Haven't tried, looks good, I think I might get it sometime.

Rolando - Excellent. Tons of levels with new levels in updates, I keep on coming back to this game. You might want to wait for Rolando 2 though, although you won't be dissapointed with the original Rolando.

SimCity - I bought this a while back. It was alright, but didn't really work on the iPhone. The controls are too fiddly and things always go wrong like transport systems, water problems etc and it is pretty annoying. Not for me, but control freaks seem to like it.

Tornado Mania - played it on my old mobile phone before I bought my iPhone. I thought it was pretty good. Haven't tried it on the iPhone.

I am on the fence with the following games:
    -Zenonia
    - Assassin's creed
    - Warpack grunts (only 59p I know :p)

12. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Get [app]Zenonia[/app].

[app]Rolando[/app] is worth it for the DJ Scruff soundtrack alone, but it's not for everyone.

I waited on [app]Jabeh[/app] forevers, because it was $5, but when I finally did get it, I knew I should have gotten it on day one. It's a really nice logic puzzle.

13. Patton

Patton Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Grad Student
    Denver
    #13 Patton, Jul 1, 2009
    I've held off on RealRacing for the same reason, and Doom to a lesser extent. The thing is, I have the money to buy it... but I've become accustomed to getting GREAT games for .99. And with the near continual price slashing, I'm always waiting for that next price cut -- I'm expecting a price drop tomorrow, so I don't buy today. I know I shouldn't be so cheap when I've spent years spending a minimum of $20, and often more on every other game I've bought.

Edit: I don't want to start a price drop / war discussion. From only being around the forums for a month or so, there have been plenty of those.

14. pfish3

pfish3 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Sim City is a great game and if you liked it on the computer you may or may not enjoy it on the iPhone. Its a small screen with lots of stuff... other than that its great and I have not found any other problems with it. For me 4 stars a good buy.

Rolando is amazing in my opinion. There is a light out so try that first cause its not for everyone. And don't skip to Rolando 2 because as far as I can tell it continues a kind of story and you wouldn't just watch Return of the king before the other two Lord of the Ring movies. For me 5 stars a well put together game.

Tornado Mania never played probably never will.

Im on the edge of buying Doom and F.A.S.T.

15. legowiz

legowiz Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Behind you!
    some other really good hidden gems(not all are hidden, but all are gems) are:

the magic blackboard- a $0.99 arkanoid game with tons of levels powerups and unlockables.

ironsight- I think it is a couple bucks but it is a really fun 3D ishoot like game.

iBomber- a really fun game that is well worth the asking price, drop bombs on ships, buildings, cannons and more.

dropship- this is a very well done game, it has tons of replay value and is really polished.

ciruit strike.one- a very polished and fun zero G shooter.

isotope- a very good geometry wars clone with tons to unlock, very good controls, and lots of replay value.

knights onrush- a very good castle defence game with lots to unlock, fun graphics and addicting gameplay.

stoneloops of jurassica- a very good zuma/luxor clone with tons of levels and very addicting gameplay.

I recommend all of these games very highly and hope that this helps. If you already have most of these then maybe one will suit you that you don't already have. Good luck!:D

16. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Get F.A.S.T. It is excellent. The graphics are amazing and the online multiplayer is awesome.

17. Alichan76

Apr 15, 2009
    You seem to like 2 games that I wasn't fussed about, so I'm not sure if this will help, but you absolutely must get F.A.S.T:)

18. Patton

Patton Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Grad Student
    Denver
    Off the fence on Wordfu: just bought it. At 0.99, it is 1/4th the price of the beer I'm buying at softball tonight that will be drank in 10 minutes and will induce a ground-out at my first at-bat. I don't know how I've not bought it at this price.

19. Alichan76

Apr 15, 2009
    Congrats!:) You are now the owner of perhaps the best fast paced word game on the iDevice. Enjoy!

20. Patton

Patton Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Grad Student
    Denver
    What about ZenBound...?

I first read about it on ign.com... reviews range from awesome to "how is this suppossed to be fun." Seems like it had a lot of hype when it first came out.