Announcing Blitz Breaker - A One Handed Twitch Platformer

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by blekdar, Feb 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blekdar

blekdar Member

Feb 12, 2015
    Cost Analyst
    Vancouver Island
    #1 blekdar, Feb 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
    The new website (with the official PC demo) is now here:
    http://bonchogames.com/blitzbreaker

You can subscribe to the newsletter here:
    http://eepurl.com/bs20_P

Good morning everyone,

So I'm making a touch based platformer. I call it Blitz Breaker. The controls are simple and effective. A tap starts your jump, swiping in the air shoots the player in that direction. Upon colliding with another object (provided it doesn't kill you), you can shoot off again.

A bit more information:

- Over 80 bite sized levels constantly increasing in difficulty
    - Twitch based levels requiring precise timing and skill
    - 4 Bosses to test your limits
    - Secret warp zones to discover and die in!
    - Track your scores and share with your friends
    - A cute little computer bro named Chip, he is totally your friend

I plan on releasing it later this year (tentative date is Q4 2015, but that is subject to change), with iOS being the primary platform. Here is a gameplay video showcasing some gameplay from the alpha build, it properly showcases the main mechanic:

Let me know what you think, I'm going to post the Alpha build of the PC version later this month, and will update you all then. Thanks for stopping by!

Want to know more? The youtube video contains links to the various websites and development blogs. I can't seem to post links to them right now.

2. deadjam

deadjam Well-Known Member

May 9, 2010
    Male
    Digital Designer
    London, UK
    Made me smile, looks like fun. Love the shudder/shake when hitting the sides.

I'm not 100% convinced on the colour palette but thats just personal taste. I like the retro feel but you could increase the contrast, so having darker shades and lighter to make it clearer. As I said, personal taste and it wouldn't stop me from downloading it to be perfectly honest.

3. blekdar

blekdar Member

Feb 12, 2015
    Cost Analyst
    Vancouver Island
    Thanks for the feedback!

It did lose a bit of it's contrast when the video rendered, it comes across crisper on my devices. That being said the colour palette is all on purpose. It's like that so the player can quickly distinguish what is helpful in each area, and what makes you dead.

4. deadjam

deadjam Well-Known Member

May 9, 2010
    Male
    Digital Designer
    London, UK
    That makes sense and yes I'm sure YT's video compression probably didn't help. I'm still behind this all the way and I look forward to reading further updates.

When you're ready to test in a few months I'm here.

5. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Take my money!!! How much?

6. blekdar

blekdar Member

Feb 12, 2015
    Cost Analyst
    Vancouver Island
    Well I won't just TAKE it. Give it a bit of time. I haven't settled on a price, but probably between $2-3. I plan on giving a portion of sales to charity, so I am going to take that into account as well.

Thanks for the positivity!

7. blekdar

blekdar Member

Feb 12, 2015
    Cost Analyst
    Vancouver Island
    Playable alpha!

Hey everyone!

Just thought I'd give you all an update, I have launched a PC alpha demo of the game over on gamejolt.

You can play it here:
    http://gamejolt.com/games/platformer/blitz-breaker-alpha/48677/

It contains the first 25 levels, and would give a good idea of what to expect when the game launches later this year!

You can play it keyboard or mouse. The mouse input mimics the touch, so try that if you want an experience more akin to the iOS version launching later this year.

Let me know what you think and leave come comments / critiques. Thanks for checking it out!

8. blekdar

blekdar Member

Feb 12, 2015
    Cost Analyst
    Vancouver Island
    Quick warning, there seems to be an issue with the splash screen hanging. Refreshing the page seems to fix this.

I'll add a downloadable version to the page later today to get around that. If you would like to play it before then, try refreshing.

9. blekdar

blekdar Member

Feb 12, 2015
    Cost Analyst
    Vancouver Island
    Solution!

Alright, so there are now downloadable builds for Windows, OSX and Linux if the HTML version doesn't work. It's lower down on the page, below the game window.

http://gamejolt.com/games/platformer/blitz-breaker-alpha/48677/

Also! If some of you are interested, I may be doing an alpha for the iOS version, to ensure it works properly on previous generation devices. If you are interested please let me know and we can get in contact with each other.

Have a great evening everyone!

10. blekdar

blekdar Member

Feb 12, 2015
    Cost Analyst
    Vancouver Island
    Hey everyone, stopping by to give an update on how things are going.

There's a new PC build of Blitz Breaker over at itch.io. Check it out here.

It showcases the game up until the end of Area 2-1, as well as various tweeks and performance improvements. I'm currently working on getting a build ready for Indiecade (due June 1) and would love to get the game in the hands of you guys to try out, so stay tuned for that.

I'll also show off a feature I am currently working in, hats/heads/helmets/etc. The main set of unlockables include cosmetic changes to the player's head. They don't change the gameplay, so you don't need to worry about which head does what. Just use the one you like! Here's a skull head as an example.

[​IMG]

I'm planning on adding around 4-5 for the next major build update, I'll let you guys know when it goes live. Until then I am open to suggestions on designs! Lemme know what you'd like to see. Cheers!

11. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Hi Blekdar, I am watching your game for several months now, looks like great fun, can't wait.

12. blekdar

blekdar Member

Feb 12, 2015
    Cost Analyst
    Vancouver Island
    New Trailer - New website - New newsletter - New shots!

Thanks Roger! I appreciate the kind words!

I made up a new gameplay teaser, as the old one was rather out dated.

More good news is that I've uploaded a more official demo up on my itch page! It is now what I consider to be an accurate representation of what the final game will look/play like.
    Get it here: http://bonchogames.com/blitzbreaker

On top of that, there's also a newsletter you can sign up for! Yay me!
    You can sign up here: http://eepurl.com/bs20_P

And to leave you guys with a bit more to look forward to, here's a couple gifs showing off some recent work I've done on, and to show you what the game has in store for you later on =D

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Let me know what you guys think, have a great week!

13. coolpepper43

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    I signed up for the beta. I haven't heard anything for such a long time about this game. So glad its still being made!

14. kripa1415`

kripa1415` Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2012
    this game looks really cool !!

15. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    #15 vectorarchitekt, May 4, 2016
    Last edited: May 4, 2016
    Does signing up for the newsletter also sign you up for the beta?

16. nickthumb

nickthumb Active Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Game Platforms

What are the platforms you plan to release the game on? How do you sign up for the beta?

17. Dropout_Games

Dropout_Games Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 6, 2015
    Looks amazing! Pm'd you. Awaiting response.

18. blekdar

blekdar Member

Feb 12, 2015
    Cost Analyst
    Vancouver Island
    Holy jeez it finally has a release date

Well this has been a long time coming.

Haven't been very active lately, lots has been going on in life (job change, general family stuff, etc etc)

ANYWAYS, I'm here to announce that the iOS version finally has a release date, which is August 1st!!!!!

*fanfare*

Anyways, here's a trailer:

[​IMG]

If you guys wanna help spread the word (and have a chance to win a copy, and I would really appreciate it) you can here: https://twitter.com/blekdar/status/755827644768280576

Also you can help spread the word here: http://bonchogames.tumblr.com/post/147806079429/blitz-breaker-is-coming-to-ios-on-august-1st-i-am

I am super stoked to finally be launching this, and thank you guys for being so patient!

Also, for those curious.

It's gonna cost $2.99 US, no free version (may change in the future depending on reaction).

19. coolpepper43

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Fantastic news! I enjoyed beta testing this.:) How many copies are you giving away?

20. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Looking forward to this ever since it was firstly announced, I love these one screen platform swipe games, it looks hard but the first levels will ease you in and get you used to the controls I hope.

Good luck with your game and launch, in fact I wish everybody good luck in general ha ha.