Games where music influences the gameplay?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Bronxsta, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

#1 Bronxsta, Aug 7, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
    I know of Beat Hazard. Are there any others? Not exactly sure how to search for these on Google or what the genre would be called, so I'm asking here. I have over 400 songs on my device so any kind of music generated game would give me tons of replay value

Edit: And by music, I mean the game uses your own songs, not a rhythm game like Beat Sneak

2. Oceraux

Oceraux Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Philippines
    Synesthetic? Its a psychedelic endless something. Not sure with the spelling, though. You can search all of the games you want in google.

3. Bronxsta

I'm just not sure exactly what to search for. Music influenced games? Is there an overall name for this kind of game that I can search for?

4. Yeah beat hazard is my favorite.

I have others like synthensic (spelling?), supersonic, boost 2, and some others that are pretty good too)

Another really fun one that is really old is a old Chillingo game called CS One, I think it is iphone only, but was a classic in its day and is worth a try. Fun dual stick shooter with itunes music.

5. Oceraux

Oceraux Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Philippines
    Search it like 'musical games'. Google will pretty sure show some resultsmthat are connected to rhythm games but you can still find some 'music influenced games' in there. And yeah, synesthetic got my bet.

6. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Song Summoner from Square Enix. One of the first original games on the appstore i think.

Uses your MP3 files to create your units. Then you battle them tactics style.

7. Bronxsta

Thank's for the recommendations. I didn't know boost 2 did this, I've only played the lite version though

Sounds cool. Thanks

8. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
  9. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Beat Blocks was/is a Match-3 game that uses yr music library to influence gameplay. It looked promising but was promptly removed from the AppStore because it crashed on startup. I think they're working on a fix.

10. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    RADBALLS! I recommend this about twice a year. You can load your own music, scratch it...it's 1 off my all time favorite ios games

11. Bronxsta

So I played Beat Hazard Lite. Now beside the flashing of the bullets and the pulsing screen and lights to the music, I didn't really notice any other effects of the gameplay. Maybe I haven't played it enough? How else does the music influence the gameplay?

12. biokid

biokid Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Wop Wops
    Nice recommendation, will add this to my wishlist.

13. Cadenza

Cadenza Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2013
    That's because it's just a simple dual-stick shooter on 1 screen. I didn't find that it has anything to do with rhythm either, and deleted the game after a few minutes. The enemies generated had absolutely nothing to do with the rhythm of the music I inputted.
    Can't believe no one mentioned the two ultimate music games... o_O
    Dance Dance Revolution S+. Hundreds of purchasable songs.
    JuBeat Plus. Hundreds of purchasable songs.

/facepalm
    There is also a new music game called Reflec Beat, it also has a huge music library but it's also extremely hard. If you found DDR or JuBeat already too hard, then don't bother trying this.
    Beat Rider was one of the first games where you could create beats out of your own music. Try that if that's your thing.
    Go youtube these 4 if you're interested. I have all 4 and no other music game in the Appstore even comes close to them.

14. Bronxsta

Can anyone else confirm these? Any other impressions of Beat Hazard?

15. Bronxsta

So I played more of the lite version. I notice weapon spread changing to the beat and more enemies rushing in when the music picked up. I also read on some reviews that you get more powerful on louder music and that bosses appear on the chorus. But I haven't seen that yet. Any other thoughts on BHU?

16. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Enemy waves / bosses are drawn from the music in Beat Hazard. You will get identical 'levels' playing the same song, and tempo/volume direct the contents of the 'level'

It's a fun game if you like dual-stick shooters.

And I have to post this again - Second Reality makes for fantastic music for this and other games. ;)

17. Cirnol

Cirnol Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2012
    I tried most of these (lite versions) and Id say Radballs is my favorite so far.

I liked Space Invaders but the lite version didnt show much.

Beat Runner is great but its not your own music.

18. Bloko

Bloko Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2012
    *Synesthetic. :)
    Boost 2 doesn't use player's songs, it has their own in-game song (not sure about Supersonic).

And by the way I'm in the team that claims Beat Hazard Ultra to work. All the songs I've played clearly changed the levels (trust me, I played a lot of songs) and to be honest it's pretty fun. I have it for more than a year and still come back to it sometimes.

19. Bronxsta

Supersonic is pretty fun, plays like Boost. What does music change there? I tried Mixtape mode and didnt notice anything

Any IOS games like Audiosurf? Like similar mechanics and gameplay? I'll even take a clone or something. Finally played the PC demo and I love it even more than Beat Hazard