Too many members

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by brewstermax, Feb 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

There are simply too many members on TA. 300 right now, 300 something new record earlier. It is outrageous. I know that it gets arn money from ads, but the new members are about to drive me crazy. They post pointless threads without searching, and just spam and ruin the whole homely feel that TA used to own. What has happened to the old TA? Appearently it died in December, right around the 25th.

50HellsofPain likes this.
  2. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    While I understand what you are driving at, I think you are being just a wee bit overzealous. It's difficult to manage a forum with this much traffic, which is why Arn has been discussing possibilities for reorganization.

3. brewstermax

Reorganization? No, it needs reform. I mean, the strictest rules ever for about a month, and about 100 temp. mods to control it, and get this mess worked out. That would fix it.

4. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    I sense some frustration in your posts...
    But at the same time I do understand your point. That Zen Bound thread has almost given me a nervous breakdown with the spamaholics in there, 1 person in particular.....

Though it's good to have a site expand and gain new members, I do wish there was a way to keep the community feel, including the thoughtful conversations. Seems to be less about talking about games, and more concern over number of posts, and something "greater" than senior status. Whatever happened to just discussing games??

5. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    That scares me. Imagine anyone genuinely interested in joing and contribuiting. Surely there must be another way.

Hmmm, if only there were a rating system. People with -75 would get booted automatically. I honestly don't know what we can do, but I agree. The newbs are a getting a tad bit annoying.

There are times when I want to start talking in a thread, but it's already so off topic but these people with 17 posts that don't know how to work my way in there :p

6. ibelongintheforums

ibelongintheforums Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    By "stupid" new members I'm positive you meant me but I will give my opionon anyways.
    Who would be the 100 temp. mods?
    Can u think of 100?
    I can't

There needs to be a sticky that says best apps and apps to avoid. And when they join it shows the rules automatically and has things that members don't like.

7. brewstermax

Yes, I did. Absolutely. You include in that. In fact, nearly anyone that joined in 2009, and several in 2008 count.

Not literally 100, but a lot. Maybe 50.

8. THEDeliriumTrigger

THEDeliriumTrigger Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Its just what happens to fourms, these spammers become uninterested sooner or later. It happens in waves, the worst of it is over, although there are a few still left. And some people dont think of it as spam, but as a more social kind of thing. In another fourm i was in, they had this problem, so they made a thread for all of this nonsense talk, called The Longest Thread Ever lol, it was just for people to say what they wanted.

9. nickels

nickels Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Male
    Product Designer/Mobile Game Developer
    PA, USA
    I have $1 to spend what should I buy?
    Is xxx better then yyy?
    When is NFS coming out?
    Why do good games cost so much?

Personally, I love answering these questions every day. That is why I love newbies and their inability to use the search function.

10. THEDeliriumTrigger

THEDeliriumTrigger Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Ya, i didnt address that, just the spam lol. But i think that a sticky would be a good thing, i know i wouldnt be annoyed by it if it went towards a good cause

11. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    It could be worse. Imagine TA filled with kids who make threadss saying "Why isn't HOS free?"

12. <Hollister>

<Hollister> Well-Known Member

Am I included brewster?

13. ibelongintheforums

Jan 4, 2009
    i got an ideas

only let juniors posts like 15 posts a day, only let members post 30, and senior 50
    sticky for best games(i already suggested that)
    automatic rule pop-up
    only can sign in once every 30 minutes

14. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    what's funny is that this topic will become a recurring theme over the years. I bet in 6-8 months there will be a post by someone saying that February-March were the "good old days" and that there are too many members.

- I don't think there are "too many" members. I think more people adds a lot of energy and perspective to the discussion.
    - I think people will realize we tend to be rather strict with our rules, but I've had experience moderating large forums and that's really the only way to go.
    - The best that can be done is try to be friendly to the new people, and they will figure it out.
    - Report posts if you feel posts are detracting from the thread. This includes off-topic posts, insults, spam. All of these are against the rules.

arn

15. brewstermax

Probably. Macrumors forums are far too large. I lurk there a lot. But it can add to the discussion, and I'm thinking of making a cool TA members, unofficial IRC, since we won't be getting our own forum.

16. ibelongintheforums

Jan 4, 2009
    i already made a "cool" TA member group.........

im gonna suck up to the mods and invite them.....
    :p

thanks arn for your response but the forums jumped up a hundred today. yesterday the record was 285 or so and now its like 385.

17. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    STFU. You joined in what November whoopty freaking doo!

18. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    yeah, no, that won't work. there'll still be spam. just in small quantities.

sticky threads? not a bad idea. not yours though LOL
    automatic rule pop-up? HELL NO! I'm not seeing that every single time I log in (doubt it's even possible unless you code the forum yourself).
    that makes no sense.

fail IBITF fail

19. ibelongintheforums

Jan 4, 2009
    dont i always fail????

no it only pops up once

this is off subject but there needs to be something more to friends other then just having a extra friend

20. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    It died when our awesome group was shut down by the man. We lost a few brothers that day :(