What do you think about this stage?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by voodooetc, Oct 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. voodooetc

voodooetc Member

Oct 3, 2011
    This will be a game and watch kind of game...

What do you think about my first scene?

[​IMG]

2. MrLeQuack

MrLeQuack Well-Known Member

that first scene could give people diabetes:)

3. voodooetc

voodooetc Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Sugar!!!!:p

4. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

Looks pretty good... and delicious...

5. ChunkoutGames

ChunkoutGames Active Member

May be a little difficult to distinguise the player's characters, enemies, bonuses etc from the background. May require some highlighting of different objects.

6. Kyena

Kyena Active Member

I totally adore the style and design :)
    When it comes to "readability" of your scene: It's always a good idea to change it into grayscale - you will notice that a lot of your elements have very similar values (grayscale differences) which makes it confusing for the eye to make out shapes and distinguish important from less important objects in color.

If that makes any sense. If you work a bit more in contrast and values between your characters, elements and background it would help with the overall readability.

7. ratcatcher

ratcatcher Member

Jul 25, 2011
    Wanderer
    US
    +1 :d

8. ratcatcher

ratcatcher Member

Jul 25, 2011
    Wanderer
    US
    I don't like the too colorful background

9. voodooetc

voodooetc Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Thanks to everyone

Thanks for your comments!

I will post more screenshots with UI.

and more stages!

10. pchukwura

pchukwura Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2010
    Co-Founder/Software Engineer
    Atlanta
    Nice scene. Like others have mentioned though, I'm not sure if the characters match the scene well. The background has softer lines and more pastel colors, while the characters have harder and sharper lines.

11. sureshvs

sureshvs Well-Known Member

Interesting thing you have going here. Just a few comments based on my own experience. I had this exact same problem a few months back and someone helped me out. So my turn to pass it around :D.

1. Like Kyena said earlier, definitely work on the values. Remember that when you're working on such scenes, you should always move from darker value to lighter value. So your FG (Foreground) should have the darkest values, the MG (Midground) should have medium values and your BG should have the lightest values. When I say dark to light, I'm referring to relative values rather than absolute values. It's not a "rule", but if you're not sure how to break this rule, then it's a good rule to follow :).

2. Use Depth of Field on your BG and FG elements. It'll immediately make a perceivable difference.

3. Try to reduce the number of colors you use. You pretty much have the entire color palette in that screenshot - yellow, green, blue, red, violet, brown - they're all there :).

4. Ideally, try not to have attention grabbing elements in your BG. I personally would avoid using red in the BG and FG simply because they tend to attract too much attention, while you want the player to be looking in the MG.

Just a quick mock up to show you what I mean. See how the focus immediately comes to the characters? Sorry that it's a bad mockup - we're one week away from launching our game and I hardly have any extra time. Anyway, hope it helps!

Attached Files:

12. stamasar

stamasar Well-Known Member

Something like this maybe ?
    More blury background, the heroes more front and more saturation and contrast in the general layout ?
    Yours is too bright for my taste.

[​IMG]

13. sureshvs

sureshvs Well-Known Member

Sure, that's true stamasar. I think I was trying to show the 'dark to light as you recede' concept, rather than hand over the exact values. In fact, if I were doing this, I would probably make the values and saturation reduce in multiple layers to give that sense of depth.

14. voodooetc

voodooetc Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Very Great Examples and ideas!!

15. givenstage

givenstage Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2011
    Game Artist
    Singapore