SHMUP fans->anything resembling Einhander on the AppStore?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Greyskull, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    #1 Greyskull, Sep 7, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
    I would spend 20 bucks to have that Playstation game ported. I have only vague memories of the gameplay, but I remember the graphics and atmosphere blowing me away.

Since it was a Square Enix release, I suppose there is a chance they'll port it.

So...any similar SHMUPs on the AppStore? Side-scrolling, semi-isometric, pseudo 3d shooters with Japanese inspired graphics and high production values?

On a side note, I would kill to see Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram 1.5 released as well.

2. Issac

Issac Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    I still have my PSX copy, but I would like to see this in the app store as well. With a windowed view option, virtual joystick and manual fire. Sigh...

3. Looked at some youtube videos of einhandler, and the closest I think would be Dariusburst because of the 3d side scrolling graphics.

The characters kind of remind me of deathsmiles, and the other game that is a good side scroller is Blazing Star.

But none of these are exactly similar, but all are great games if you don't have any of them.

4. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Deathssmiles is great, but it's a bullet hell shmup. Einhander, along with most of the other shooters I remember wistfully, are avoidance shmups. In other words, the difficulty comes more from not crashing into enemies whilst avoiding their fire, and points are racked up by combo or group kills. The type of shooter I'm describing seemed to dominate the market (at least in the USA) before Ikaruga showed up; the first shooter I can remember playing in which you scored by purposefully running into bullets (well, bullets of the correct color.

My favorites are really just descendants of Space Invaders, I guess. Probably started when I posted my second ever #1 arcade high score on a Pheonix machine, followed by my second which was on a Galaga cabinet.

My third was Ms. Pacman, but that's beside the point. Except to brag ;)