iPhone Eufloria HD - (by Omni Systems)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    I'm sure you've done whatever research on the subject you consider necessary, but I would still be willing to bet you aren't aware to what extent iPads turn out to be "shared" devices. I may still pick this game up down the road, but for what it's worth, for the moment this omission has cost you a sale.

2. jakimo

jakimo Active Member

Dec 31, 2009
    How does Eufloria feel on an original iPad?

3. jakimo

jakimo Active Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Has anyone tried to play with both an iPad original and iPad 2? (..hey, how about a prototype iPad HD/3?!)

How does it compare? I have the iPad original - I don't want to grab the game and end up feeling like I can't play it well...

thanks

4. sillytuna

sillytuna Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2012
    Game Developer
    Sheffield, UK
    Regarding multiple profiles - I am aware but on eufloria it really makes little difference. All the levels can be unlocked through an unlock menu and stats wise we have very little in the present build so you don't miss out.

There is no difference in the levels regardless of whether they have been played or not.

Regarding iPad 1 - I developed it on an iPad 1 so it isn't too bad! If you're way of playing is very brute force, ie stack 100s of seedlings all the time (you rarely need to - its a slow way of playing) then some levels can get slow.

However, the fact that I've been using an iPad 1 for endless testing etc should tell you something :)

iPad 2 is better for eufloria though. I'm waiting for the iPad 3 :)

5. sillytuna

Feb 3, 2012
    Game Developer
    Sheffield, UK
    #105 sillytuna, Feb 15, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
    Bug fix guys - we found an issue with relaxed mode which made it, erm, so relaxed it was tough to end sometimes. We're issuing an update accordingly. Please accept our humble apologies.

Also, we've made a (slight) tweak to level 8 as people have struggled with it compared to other levels. It's just a tactical issue really but still not ideal so early in the game.

The update will be submitted shortly and appear in a few days at a guess.

6. sillytuna

Feb 3, 2012
    Game Developer
    Sheffield, UK
    #106 sillytuna, Feb 17, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
    Eufloria HD v1.01 is out on the App Store.

Levels 8 and 18 have been adjusted slightly and Relaxed mode has been changed to deal with some levels being too slow or tricky to play.

Edit: An update removes all previous reviews so if anyone would like to support us with an updated rating/review, please go ahead.

Meanwhile, we'll wait for the Zynga clone where you have to pay for new seedlings.

7. Treefiddy

Treefiddy Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2010

:D:D

8. xStatiCa

xStatiCa Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Purchased and I am on level 6 so far and really like the game. Thanks for porting it to iOS. After playing it I do hope an Eufloria 2 comes out with online multiplayer modes. I see that as being a very fun thing to add to this game and get a following of dedicated users online which can play against each other.

9. sillytuna

Feb 3, 2012
    Game Developer
    Sheffield, UK
    We have some updates and an iPhone build of this version of Eufloria to do yet!

Thanks for the updated reviews - keep them coming.

Seems we're now being swamped by the usual iOS quick, unoriginal clones. I wouldn't mind but it's the same games rehashed over and over again.

10. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    Free bump for a deserving game.

Finally got a chance to try this yesterday. IT BLEW MY MIND.

Great effin game devs.

11. jeanso

jeanso Active Member

Feb 21, 2012
    i like this game..

12. VeroMcLean

VeroMcLean New Member

Feb 24, 2012
    I have completed level 21 but I want to complete it. But I am now in trouble. I want to finish it. Any one can help to to complete the game.

13. Midgetcorrupter

Jun 2, 2009
    Is there any plans for more content to come in the future?
    More levels, randomly generated skirmish maps?

I've just finished the Dark Matter mode and really want more Eufloria.

14. PraetorianX

PraetorianX Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Piece of art. Finally got it for my iPad. Thank you Devs !

15. ZorakZoran

ZorakZoran Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2010
    France
    Hello guys, thank you for the last update, really appreciated. Couple things though :
    The fast forward buttons are hard to press on the iPad 3.
    And I'd like some things improved, if it's possible. First, a beacon to send every seeds to a planet. Press on this beacon, and all the seeds of every planet will go there. That would be nice. Second, it's hard to double click on a planet when you have laser pods around, so you're forced to zoom and dezoom manually. I'd like if it zoomed on a planet when I double click, even if there is laser pods around.

Anyway great game, was happy to go back to it, the changes in difficulty on some levels are really welcomed !

16. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Any word on iPad retina support?

17. ZorakZoran

ZorakZoran Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2010
    France
    It's available since yesterday.

18. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Cool, buying the game right now! :)

19. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Wrong thread :p

20. MrAlbum

MrAlbum Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Student
    Alaska
    Heya everyone, I just picked up the universal version of this game to give it a shot on my iPhone 4s. I had briefly heard about the game before, but I had forgotten about it until I saw the iPhone specific version in the Hot New Games column of the TA app. I have some thoughts on this game, and I will do my best to elucidate them here.

First, I know that art style and aesthetic enjoyment are subjective in perception. What matters most, though, is that these aesthetics are unified under one over-arching theme/vision/style, so that nothing conflicts with other elements on that artistic level. Eufloria succeeds at creating this unified aesthetic, by staying true to the pastel color scheme, simplifying the user interface, and pairing these elements with a VERY ambient soundtrack.

These elements combine to form a VERY calming experience, and are conducive towards relaxing and meditative gameplay. This is re-inforced by the simple and easy-to-understand control scheme. In many ways, the game almost feels TOO simple, but I believe this was deliberate, to allow players of all skill sets a chance to enjoy the game. Many games have a tendency to cater to a specific demographic which, on the one hand, helps focus those games on crafting a highly specific experience; on the other hand, it alienates gamers who don't fit that specific audience. Eufloria is to be commended for bucking this trend by being as accessible as possible to the widest potential audience.

Then again, that often means that true challenge and/or depth ends up sacrificed to reach this broadened goal. And, as far as I can see, Eufloria has this issue to a certain degree. Essentially, all one needs to do to win is to wait for enough seedlings and swarm any opposition. That's the core mechanic for success, with occasional variations in the story levels. Sure, that may be the point, for the reasons I described above; but the trade-off is that the player ends up feeling less involved in the game than they would be otherwise. If there are few stakes, then there is less reason to pay attention.

This supposed trade-off doesn't have to be the reality. I would like to put forth this idea: a player can still FEEL challenged, WITHOUT tailoring the game for the demographic of that player. I think that if Eufloria manages to hit that balance while still maintaining the well-crafted aesthetic the game currently has, then it would become one of the best titles on the App store, IMHO.

Thusly, I would like to make a suggestion: How about an Endless/Survival mode?

Here's how I think such a mode might work: You start with one average seedling on an asteroid surrounded by other unexplored asteroids. You travel between asteroids. When you encounter a new asteroid, a few things could happen:

A. You could get another seedling of that asteroid type. If you collect ten seedlings, a Dyson tree is automatically created, and one (and ONLY one) seedling is created.

B. Nothing happens.

C. An enemy seedling appears. This last possibility depends on whether or not the mode is survival. If the mode is just pure "endless", then something else can happen instead.

This mode is just a bare-bones idea. Many things unique to this mode can be implemented/tweaked/etc....

One oddity I did find was the dialogue of the Mother Tree in the Story mode. It sounds HUMAN. Yet, by all indications, the Mother Tree IS NOT HUMAN. Why should that dialogue have proper grammar/correct punctuation/standard English vocabulary/etc...? Because the Mother Tree sounds so human, I personally feel a little weirded out, because I KNOW that the Mother Tree isn't human. Perhaps this is just a quirk unique to my perception, but it was strange to encounter.

Anyway, that's my $0.02. I did what I could to describe my thoughts in as broad strokes as possible, with a couple exceptions. I certainly hope that things can be learned from it ^_^

Sincerely,

Mr. Album