If you had 5 questions for Rob Hewson? (8Bit Publishing Legend)

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by LCDNinja, Oct 27, 2013.

1. LCDNinja

LCDNinja Member

Oct 27, 2013
    Game Developer
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hi All,

I'm new here - I'm an unknown indydev / retrogamer just getting into the scene. So hello there ;-)

Anyhow - I just backed Rob Hewson's new book aimed at Dev's (Hints and Tips for Videogame Pioneers). I figured I could probably use some info about pioneering in an industry I know next to nothing about - so I backed at a level where you can ask 5 questions and they get published in the book.

Trouble is - I've only got one question.

What would you guys ask?

2. 7lilwhitewolf7

7lilwhitewolf7 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Male
    Not hear on earth
    Georgia,Cleveland Ohio,Texas,New York
    Here, try these

How do i incorporate common sense into my app? Where and how do i find balance with my apps IAP's? What are the best ways to spend on advertising and publishing? Is it nessesary to include a video recorder for game apps? The guidlines for your app to become succesfull are?
    How do you keep harmony for your team when its overwelmed? Will pinball make a big comeback or is it already here?

3. LCDNinja

LCDNinja Member

Oct 27, 2013
    Game Developer
    Brisbane, Australia
    Thanks for this! I LOL'd at "How to incorporate common sense into my app" ;-)

I got some good ideas from twitter as well - what do you guys think?

1. For aspiring gamedevs should they get AAA experience before trying the indydev route?
    2. Do you think the same rules apply in the App world as they did in the 8bit market of yesteryear?
    3. How important was wide play testing to Hewsons hits?
    4. Should you try and satisfy as many of your fans as you can early on ?
    5. Under what situations would you delay a promoted release date? Did you ever have to do this? How would you handle this situation?

Please feel free to comment on these questions. I'm interested not only in compiling the best list for all of us - but also 2 & 3 are especially close to my heart right now.

Thanks all!

4. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    how do handle legal requirements?

5. LCDNinja

LCDNinja Member

Oct 27, 2013
    Game Developer
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hi all,

So… the deadline for these questions is now. If anyone has anything to add - please do!

Thanks so much!

6. LCDNinja

LCDNinja Member

Oct 27, 2013
    Game Developer
    Brisbane, Australia
    Update - I've submitted the questions… this is what I went with:

1) Do you think there is a future in paid apps on mobile?
    2) Marketing, Gameplay, Graphics : Choose two.
    3) How important is it to build relationships with the press?
    4) Do you think game piracy benefits or destroys the industry?
    5) How can an indy dev just starting out best measure success?

I'll keep you posted on the answers in a few months when the book is published.

Thanks for the help! ;-)

7. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    This is a GREAT question.

8. OnlyJoe

OnlyJoe Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Auckland
    Question 1, is a question that is getting asked a lot at the moment. I thought that I would put my answer to it. Would be really interested to hear other peoples answers to any of these questions.

1) Do you think there is a future in paid apps on mobile?
    I really hope there is, because it just seems so much nicer than the free to play model. I know from reading that there has been a steady drop in paid app sales. People credit this to higher quality free apps coming to market. But I would say that it is actually due to people getting burned from paying for apps that suck. The app store has never really given much freedom in this model, basically you are taking a stab in the dark which drives down the prices of apps to reduce the risk of buying them. This means that selling apps has to be about selling large quantities, and as more and more competition enter the same store this because much more difficult to sell enough to break even. This has led the market to come up with new ways to increase revenue from apps.
    For the paid app to survive the app store will need to change, it needs to reduce the risk involved in buying an app to allow higher quality apps to sell for a higher price. I wouldn't be surprised if apple introduces something that allows you to play an app for 10 mins before you buy, some kind of demo method of screening apps.