iPhone Untitled Platform Game

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by VgSlag, Aug 28, 2012.

?

Would you rather pay for an app or have a 1 off In App Purchase to unlock?

1. Buy it outright

9 vote(s)
    81.8%
  2. In App Purchase

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. VgSlag

VgSlag Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    iOS Engineer
    Hertfordshire
    #1 VgSlag, Aug 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2012

Hey guys,

Here is a video of a game I started working on for iOS Game Dock but I have added iCade and Joypad support too.

The game is currently using the Mario tile set at the moment but a new design is currently out for tender to replace these assets.

The finished graphics will have an Indiana Jones theme (think Egyptian or Mayan) but still be pixel art.

It's going to be a 2-4 player (5 or 6 if it plays ok) platform game for the iPad.

The game will need extra hardware to play. You cannot play with just an iPad. It supports up to 4 Joypad (iOS app) controllers AND the 2 from iOS Game Dock OR iCade. As iOS Game Dock and iCade use the same button layout the 2 devices cannot be used together.

Denis Krako (http://soundcloud.com/denis-krako) will be doing the game music, you should check out his page, he has some amazing stuff.

The app currently supports TV Out without mirroring so the iPad can show the score table on it's own screen when it's connected to a TV.

Any feedback much appreciated.

2. VgSlag

VgSlag Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    iOS Engineer
    Hertfordshire
    #2 VgSlag, Aug 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2012
  3. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
  4. VgSlag

VgSlag Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    iOS Engineer
    Hertfordshire
    Ah thanks for embedding the videos. The graphics are currently being redone on Elance and I am also awaiting a quote from http://www.armyoftrolls.co.uk to redo the assets.

You should check out the pixel artwork of armyoftrolls... It's amazing.

Just out of curiosity how did you embed the videos? I've looked how to do so but couldn't find anything obvious.

5. VgSlag

VgSlag Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    iOS Engineer
    Hertfordshire
    #5 VgSlag, Aug 30, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  6. VgSlag

VgSlag Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    iOS Engineer
    Hertfordshire
    Got some potential designs through. Here is a character. The game will have a Mayan theme so I am going for Indiana Jones ish.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Hans Kisaragi

Hans Kisaragi Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2012
    I wish you good luck.. it looks okey for a prototype.. looking forward to see when you get more meat on it.

8. VgSlag

VgSlag Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    iOS Engineer
    Hertfordshire
    Thanks. I'll be adding a single player mode that is similar to Muffin Knight and designing the levels for that style of play. I will have the controls for single player be either on screen, iCade or Joypad.

9. NinthNinja

NinthNinja Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2011
    Will there be an iPhone/iPod version?

Just some advice from one developer to another, unless you get into the top 15 iPad game charts for the US and stay there for a least 3/4 weeks you will not make much money. It maybe wise to go for the largest market just so you can have a chance to make any money and make it worth while.

10. VgSlag

VgSlag Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    iOS Engineer
    Hertfordshire
    #10 VgSlag, Sep 1, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
    Thanks. I won't be making an iPhone version but I don't do my personal programming to make money. I'm a contract developer professionally so I just use my work to sell myself. The game is only being developed in my spare time on the way in to work and designs have only cost a few hundered dollars.

This will be my first iPad only app so thanks for giving me a heads up on the market. I think it will showcase a fair few technologies; Bluetooth communication, Game Center, second screen and optimised code.

I'll upload a screen shot of the beginnings of single player shortly.

11. VgSlag

VgSlag Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    iOS Engineer
    Hertfordshire
    I've got the gfx through for the tiles and players. I'm just waiting on a new background...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. mguniverse

mguniverse Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2009
    This is absolutely not true.

13. NinthNinja

NinthNinja Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2011
    Yes it is. In the case of Mutant Storm which had editors choice the game reached number 15 in the iPad charts. It was a hit for a week and dropped like a stone as soon as the feature ended. It cost $2.99 on launch - now when you consider how many Game Center users are logged on for a rough estimate you will realise it made very little money for the work put in. The money that was made had to be split between 3 companies. At number 15 it was making $3000 a day... This shows the market is pretty small compared to the iPhone market.

Once you start getting out of the top 20 sales drop very quickly to the point of not making much at all. So what makes you think you know better? Any examples to prove otherwise?

Other examples I could give is when Jet Car Stunts went universal which backed up the Mutant Storm figures.

Back on topic. The graphics are looking very cool!!!

14. VgSlag

VgSlag Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    iOS Engineer
    Hertfordshire
    Thanks. In regards to costs, I think the game will come in at around $600 after all gfx, icons and sounds have been put in so it doesn't need to make much.

I think maybe what you and mguniverse consider a good amount of money differs so you're both correct. As its a spare time project ill be happy to cover costs.

I have a new bg now. I'll post shots soon.

15. VgSlag

VgSlag Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    iOS Engineer
    Hertfordshire
    I've added in a new win screen and the correct background now.

The current win condition is 3 coins for the video but it will be 10 - 15 in the actual game.

I'm still waiting on game music but I will be adding sound effects next. Jump, skid, collect gold, stun and un-stun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Hans Kisaragi

Hans Kisaragi Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2012
    I like the new gfx ^_^

17. VgSlag

VgSlag Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    iOS Engineer
    Hertfordshire
    I've attached a possible icon. It's only a rough draft. It's a circular Mayan image and I'm trying to make it square in Photoshop. I've worked out how but need to do a better version.

[​IMG]

18. VgSlag

VgSlag Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    iOS Engineer
    Hertfordshire
    For screenshot Saturday I've actually got a photo of the optimum way to play.

The MBP is acting as an AirPlay device but you can also connect over HDMI.
    When a second screen is present the iPad becomes the score table.
    There are 5 players in this game and when iOS Game Dock comes out it will support 6 players.

[​IMG]

19. VgSlag

VgSlag Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    iOS Engineer
    Hertfordshire
  20. HarryWarden

HarryWarden Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Haven't something like 70 million iPads been sold? It must not be a high percentage of those with the device that buy apps if it's difficult to make money from such an app. Not a good sign for the market either as the iPad is the best device for gaming with its larger screen for showcasing graphics and allocating screen real estate for on-screen buttons. Maybe the much-rumored iPad Mini will change this as it'll still be larger than any phone by over 2 inches at last rumor.