GameClub Mage Gauntlet (by Rocketcat Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Oct 19, 2011.

1. araczynski

araczynski Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2009
    programmer
    omaha, ne
    buying, but only on the note that it is to be made universal sooner or later. not really interested in hunching over a tiny screen anymore. will try it out on the ipad, hopefully it doesn't get even more pixelated than it already looks. i must be one of the few gamers out there that doesn't have a sense of nostalgia for the 80's of gaming... unless perhaps its knights of legend ;)

2. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    It's probably been discussed, but with 46 pages, hopefully I won't get flamed - I bought this first day, but IAP for the hat pack is going to charge me $1.99? I thought this was included? How do I access without getting charged?

3. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    So, if you bought the game before Monday, you get the RocketCat iAP for free. And you have to have WiFi on as well to get the RocketCat.

4. MunkieSuthorn

MunkieSuthorn Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2009
    IT Manager
    Connecticut, USA
    Silly question,

How do I see my inventory? I saw it in the first map but now there is an inventory button while viewing the map but that just brings me back to the spell page.

Thanks!

5. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    Fantastic!!!!

6. Raro

Raro Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Student
    NZ
    That is your inventory :p
    You collect spells to use, there isn't much else to see unless you were hoping to access your Wardrobe from in-game?

7. MunkieSuthorn

MunkieSuthorn Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2009
    IT Manager
    Connecticut, USA
    Yes, I was hoping to see the items that I have collected and be able to swap an item on to the avatar after putting it in the wardrobe. Perhaps the right question is how do I see my wardrobe?

Thanks for the response.

Munkie!

8. SilverCircleCircus

SilverCircleCircus Active Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Openfeint keeps poppin up and giving a bit of a lag, the kinda pixelation thing like SQH had at moments.

9. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    You can only access your wardrobe on the world map between levels.

If you don't get the Rocketcat Pack for free, restart the game when in a wifi hotspot. That should fix it.

@Zaraf: Will see if we can improve the enemies a bit in the spinoff. The enemies that shoot a projectile are really the most interesting to fight. The haste jars are mostly just to get you back on the main path. Originally you were going to get random buffs for breaking spell urns when full, but that was really tricky to balance. Hats are just cosmetic, balancing 110 different hat effects would have been a nightmare.

10. Ashflow

Ashflow Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2011
    MI
    maybe instead of adding infinite lives, you could add a new "mode" that serves as a lower difficulty level and implements the infinite lives.
    so it'd be ***casual mode (different name?) > story mode > master mode***

also, i'd like to add my support for changing the end of level arrows to red if you haven't cleared the level yet. i'm usually fine, but sometimes I miss the sweet, victorious purple words (or think I miss it, which is just as bad).

Currently 3-starred everything up to Undergarden 2. It's been a while since I played a great rpg like this.

Personally, I'd rather keep the difficulty how it is (though I guess the orc level could use a couple more magic urns. it's pretty hard compared to the previous level), but I know that not everyone wants to spend so much time on a single level when there are so many levels. I also don't mind searching for the secrets, since there's almost always a clue on the ground or a visible part of the room on the screen. But I guess I'm weird like that. I just can't seem to bring myself to notice/care about all of the faults that others are seeing.

11. Prhaber

Prhaber Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    I probably can't contribute much more to what's already been said on this game, but I just wanted to say this is probably the most fun I've had with an action rpg since the best of the Zelda games. I love Hook Worlds / Super Hook Champ so I thought this could be good, but I think Rocketcat have got a classic on their hands here. It puts pretty much every other action rpg on ios to shame and shows how it should be done, with Rocketcat's ability to create graphics and gameplay that are both old-school and wonderfully fresh - with a terrific sense of humour as well. And also, as their input into these forums shows, they're a developer that is interested in what the players think and in supporting the game in the future. Fantastic!

12. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    #472 FPE, Oct 22, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
    I am still stuck at orc3 ...honestly I would just tuned the length. This level is somewhat too long.i did nit loose a single heart, but then when I expect the end more show up and I die.

Also I am always restarting the level when I die I never use lives (I assume lives do not reset at the end of a level correct?), I see no need for extra lives except when you decide to remove the option to start from scratch.

Also .... What about adding icade support? This would make the playing experience simply perfect! Great game with great controls!

Ps: I play in iPad and could not care less of universal support

13. Cybertox

Cybertox Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Basketball Player
    Switzerland
    If you use both of your lifes and then you will restart the level you will gain additional 2 lifes.
    As soon as you restart the level you will gain 2 lifes to respawn.

And now Im stuck in the Sealed Tower gold level.Kepa should add some additional spells there as well.

14. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    So basically this means I every level has two lives?
    This is way too easy, Kepa! I am playing assuming I have two lives for the entire story mode, hence when I die I refuse to stand up!!
    If this is the case, then orc3 is easy !

15. Elfanger

Elfanger Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2010
    Does anyone know where to go in the "Someone's" estate stage - area 1. I know that there are hidden walkways through walls, I have found quite a few but do not seem to find any more to progress.

I found an area with two doors/barriers with two humanoid enemies on the other side. Not sure how to make the doors open.

Does anyone know where to go?

Thanks.

16. orinationx2

orinationx2 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2010
    IMO spells should work by a cooldown basis, rather than a collectible one.

What happens is spells become a secondary aspect of the game, when really it's one of the game's most interesting features.

Levelling up also seems to have hardly enough impact- it plays like a skill based action game more than an RPG, which is probably the intention, but there's a lot of potential here.

That said this is still one of my GOTYs for the iPhone, just those things that keep it from being flawless for me = )

17. Cybertox

Cybertox Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Basketball Player
    Switzerland
    Yeah its very easy..
    Especially the Orc boss....
    Will see how you will defeat it.

18. littlezoe

littlezoe Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Lucid Dreamer
    In your dreams
    That's something what's also bothering me... Spells are in a too limited amount on the maps in my opinion... You have to mostly use normal attacks during the level, while spells are much more fun to use..

19. AbKi

AbKi Member

Oct 17, 2011
    UK
    The art, it's so beautiful. *_*

20. littlezoe

littlezoe Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Lucid Dreamer
    In your dreams
    Anyone has an idea that what unlocks the Black Market?