Universal Pocket RPG - (by Tasty Poison / Crescent Moon Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Jul 13, 2011.

1. dannythefool

dannythefool Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Germany
    Think of it as unlocking items as opposed to buying them. You unlock them and after that point, they can appear in the game as loot.

You'll have to find one of these items in the dungeon and equip it. But they don't always appear so you can't take seeking fireballs for granted just because you unlocked items that would make it so.

2. heavy liquid

heavy liquid Well-Known Member

May 17, 2010
    Hope so. Even though I love the game, I'm not going to play it any more until they fix the crashing.

When I spend 30 minutes going through an entire level and it crashes... erasing all the gold and stars I've collected... it kills my desire to play the game by making it impossible to level up.

3. Greg G

Greg G Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    The problem is that the more you unlock the more random your drops become. I would like to be able to turn off certain mastered equipment so I can choose a style. If I only have fire attack items checked then that is all or most of what would drop in the dungeon and I have control of how I want to fight.

4. Evan.Greenwood

Evan.Greenwood Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2010
    Game Programmer
    Cape Town
    Yes. I've been thinking about this too.

What I don't want to happen is to give too much control over what drops in the game, thus making each dungeon run kind of samey...

But because players purchase unlocks (as apposed to them just being unlocked through progress) there is a definite feeling of not being able to guarantee use of the latest and most favouritest weaponry.

What do you guys think about having a load-out screen before each quest choosing the sets of weapons and skills you want to take with you on the quest?

We're planning on redoing some of the map/unlock screens before the iPhone release... for instance we are definitely adding a skills tree rather than a page of skills.

But we also do not want it to become too complicated or too tedious (by having too many screens between combat)...

Also... Josh and I are submitting a bugs update this evening. I hope it helps make the game more enjoyable. Thanks for all the patience and the kind words.

5. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Seems like a good idea but you shouldn't be able to get exactly what you want just by specifying that and only that. There should be a limit for each drop that keeps it from being too likely.

6. Coz

Coz Member

Jul 14, 2011
    Apple
    I really do enjoy this game and think it is well worth the money. With some of the improvements you guys have been talking about I think it will be much better.

It's a very different twist on RPGs that I like, I like how someone said you are more unlocking the potential of your character instead of just improving it, with a skill tree type idea I think it would really polish that off. Along with some type of item "tree" or selection idea...

7. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    The more I read this thread and posts like this, the more I feel like I didn't purchase a game but instead signed on for a paid beta. So many bug fixes, so many core changes to gameplay... Ok, on the one hand it's nice the developers are so active, but on the other I'd hardly want something like this becoming the norm.

8. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    I think you pay $2.99 for a game it's enough if you can enjoy it for a few hours. If they make it into a whole new game, then another, then another, isn't that sort of icing on the cake?

9. Coz

Coz Member

Jul 14, 2011
    Apple
    Yea, this game is very good as is. I haven't even finished it completely with all the games I have to play, but have thoroughly enjoyed the time I have spent on it.

The game would be perfectly fine sitting where it is right now. Just the way the game plays the things they have been talking about would give a bit different control over what goes on

10. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I'm not a big fan of being able to overly customize the drops as I far prefer the variety and could see some optimal strategy would be to really limit the drops to a few favorites which, in turn, I believe would make for much more tedious gameplay (less about exploration and more about configuring tne ideal setup from the beginning).

11. Greg G

Greg G Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    I think the skills should be based on the new tree (awesome by the way!) and not selectable at load up time. The weapons and item masteries would be great as selections. I agree that it should not be absolute but it should slant the odds toward getting what you have selected.

12. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    I like the skill tree, but please do not let us decide the drops! This is supposed to be somewhat random so that we have still some surprise in the game .... Otherwise we end up picking always the loot we like the most and the game gets boring.

To the guys saying this feels like a paid beta .... Well, the game is worth now. Yes it has a few bugs, but honestly I played it all with my Mage Nd did half replay without a single bug!

To the devs .... I am now playing with the moustache guy ... Does it have big two hand swords??? If not, add please!

13. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Evan, I don't really see loot as big an issue as skills. As you move through the game, you start getting gear with more multipliers, so it isn't that big of a deal to get something good. Now if you want to have a thing were you could select a preferred modifier or two to show up more often in a particular dungeon, that might be cool.

In a game like this, I prefer a design where there are always too many choices to make. The biggest issue is running out of choices to make in terms of skills and upgrades to buy.

14. dannythefool

dannythefool Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Germany
    One option, keeping the spirit of the game as it is, could be a simple button that lets us choose a preferred type of attack, e.g. the battle mage could pick one of fire/ice/lightning/poison or something like that. The game would then insert a handful extra items of that chosen type. I don't think it would change the feeling of the game too much, but we could unlock everything and still play one favourite style most of the time...

Another option is, of course, I'm just going to go ahead and say it, keeping the four equipped items between adventures.

15. Rage1776

Rage1776 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010

Pfft, I've gotten a solid 30-40 hours of joy out of this and I haven't even touched the blade master yet. Stop being so picky, it is a steal at $5 and an amazing deal at $3.

16. JCat

JCat Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    CEO E-Commerce
    NY
    Not sure if this was mentioned early in the thread, if so, my apologies, but something really weird happened in my game last night:

Playing as Battle Mage, things went smooth up to the level left of the Dragon's Lair (Snake brothers or something like that). I got to this long lava bridge where two snakes men (not sure if these were the end bosses?) were waiting to crush me as the screen does its cinematic pan out with the usual boss dialogue. After a second, the battle usually commences and the screen returns to player control. Instead, the screen remained zoomed out as the snake dudes set forth to attack. The screen finally dropped back to my character control, but I was already near death!! They were clobbering me while still zoomed out in while I had no on-screen controllers. GRRRrrr!

Oh -- playing it on an iPad 2

17. Evan.Greenwood

Evan.Greenwood Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2010
    Game Programmer
    Cape Town
    #257 Evan.Greenwood, Jul 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
    I feel the same way. I think the game is a lot more enjoyable when it throws all of the items at you and you have to make more interesting decisions as a result... That kind of feels like the spirit of the game.

I might add some special items that require multiple unlocks to drop, which will benefit players who have unlocked everything. I'd prefer to incentivize diversity rather than allow self-censorship.

Another thing I could do... although it's not necessarily a good idea... is add challenge maps. If one map had no healing on level-up but dropped lots of vampiric items that could be interesting. Or a map where all the enemies are really tough but can be knocked off cliffs using knockback effects. These kinds of maps aren't really the point of the game... but for anyone who likes to try for highscores or enjoys particularly focussed builds they could be fun...

There is an update that has been submitted that will fix a bunch of the bugs people have experienced. I agree that I wouldn't want this to be the norm. Our release was a bit of a botch up and for those that had a bad time because of it I'm truly sorry. This is certainly not something I ever intend repeating.

But I wouldn't want the additions to the game to make it feel beta-like. Most of this really will be additions, and not changes to the gameplay. We actually went massively over budget on this game already, but because we're getting a fairly positive reaction, and we like the game ourselves, we're trying to add to it.

I appreciate all of the feedback that all of you are giving. If this forum is not the right place to rebound ideas off the community or to talk about future updates then please let me know. (I'm not certain about the etiquette at TA).

Yikes! I think I've sorted this one out in the update. That's not at all fair. Hope you survived?

18. JCat

JCat Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    CEO E-Commerce
    NY

LOL, nope - already used my ankh (or whatever it's called) and my neck apparel which collected souls for an extra life did not have enough collected. Back to the beginning of the level. I'm the type that would have tossed the game aside for good - particularly with having to start a level over with no fault of my own. This game, however, is worth the bit of pain (and it's always fun to watch lots of baddies exploding all over the place).

Oh, and may I say I can't believe the amount of chaos on screen with no slow down! This is really a show off piece beside being great game.

19. Abi646

Abi646 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    Can't wait for this to come out for iphone!

20. Rage1776

Rage1776 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Just beat it using the ranger. Was great, barely beat it.

Two more suggestions for the ending.

Let me get out of the cubbyhole before the dragon fires off his first shot.

2nd, don't prompt me to tap to continue as soon as the ending starts, I almost missed my trophy moment.