Educational App - Parent Resources?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by raekess, Feb 20, 2013.

1. raekess

raekess Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Product Manager
    Lafayette, CO
    Hello all!

I've been working on an educational app with my boyfriend and we're getting to the stage where we're going to start some pretty intensive kid testing and begin our marketing buzz.

We've got our website, are setting up FB, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+, and Pinterest sites so we can do an official launch of the site soon (it's nearly done - would love your input on that as well. URL is in my signature).

I've started a parent-facing blog (we figured, since that's our audience, we should write to them, not necessarily to developers). We've also got kid testing set up and have everything prepared for that, but my kids haven't been young in a long time so I'm out of the loop as far as parenting websites, the parent blogosphere, etc.

Are any of you parents of younger kids (we're looking at ages 2-4)? If so, would you mind sharing the websites you go to for advice, sanity, news, information, reviews, etc.?

Thanks so much in advance!

2. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    #2 Blackharon, Feb 20, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
    I've got a 1 and a 3 year old but mostly the only site I use is Google. Potty training, bottle weaning and all other tips come from there. I'd suggest Adwords would be the best marketing dollars spent on a parent like myself.

Edit: Or here obviously :p

3. raekess

Feb 3, 2013
    Product Manager
    Lafayette, CO
    Thanks Blackharon! I appreciate it!

4. ColeyWoley

ColeyWoley Active Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Artist, Disparity Games
  5. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Great link! I am always looking for more educational apps for my toddler. :)

6. raekess

Feb 3, 2013
    Product Manager
    Lafayette, CO
    Thanks ColeyWoley! I'll make sure to check this site out!

7. afriday11

afriday11 New Member

Feb 10, 2013
  8. raekess

Feb 3, 2013
    Product Manager
    Lafayette, CO
    Thanks afriday11! I've added the ones I didn't have to my list... it's getting kind of huge. LOL.

What would be the purpose of this group? Sharing of information amongst professionals and game developers? Posting information about educational indie games? Building a community? Making a Facebook page is relatively easy - the hard part is getting the word out so people will join and maintaining the content pace. I looked at your site and John is your marketer (is that you?) Marketing is a more than full-time job (I know, that's what I'm doing for Squink Games). However, based on everything I've read about marketing an indie game, building the community is the most important part (if you don't have a big name behind you and lots of cash), and this group would be a great way to do that if there's a clear vision behind it and well-planned and delivered content. We should talk. :)

9. artcue

artcue Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Gamedeveloper, Co-Founder of Artcue
    Vienna, Austria
    #9 artcue, Feb 28, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  10. Appvism

Appvism Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2013
    UK
  11. raekess

Feb 3, 2013
    Product Manager
    Lafayette, CO
  12. vldstf

vldstf New Member

Mar 4, 2013
    #12 vldstf, Mar 4, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
    Math helper for kids - easy way to learn math

This is a Math game (MagicMath) developed by me and two other friends for the same purpose: how to help kids to learn in an easy way. We are big fans of math and we got very involved in this game and I think we really managed to do something nice!
    It's a game that uses all 4 basic math operations: addition, substitution, multiply and division in a challenging way. There are 3 levels of difficulty: Easy, Medium and Hard and a table with numbers. The purpose is to reach the given number using the boxes from the table.
    It's very easy and the best part is that you can also earn bonuses and unlock new achievements and challenges.
    We have tested the app. We gave it to some children and the result was amazing. They were really into the game! They liked the design and started to play the game. Of course..it was a bit harder for them in the beginning but after a short session of playing they found the game really nice.
    You can find the game here:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Otinsoft
    you can also check the video over here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzF_h_7ZDbY

Let us know what your children thought about it! We will improve if needed to help your kid!

[​IMG]