Universal Angry Birds Star Wars II (Rovio Entertainment Ltd)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by biokid, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Agreed.
    I never really got in to them too much originally but the SW versions have shown me the error of my ways and just addicted now across the board and cursing my lack of dimensional thinking.
    It's just an extremely thoughtful and clever series that gets better with each release.

2. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    #42 y2kmp3, Sep 23, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
    This argument is understandable.

This is because, even though there is strategy involved, especially for some of the more elaborate levels, the game inherently requires MORE PRECISION in your strike than what is affordable by the touch interface control on the iPad and iPhone. This INHERENT IMPRECISION in how the device senses touches make it impossible to RELIABLY REPRODUCE your solution with near perfect accuracy.

To me, this is the Achilles' heel for Angry Birds. Looking from the perspective of a puzzle fan, this inherent imprecision to reproduce a solution is problematic. To be fair, if you relax this condition, then you can enjoy the game knowing that sometimes you fail to beat a level is simply because of the game's imprecision, even when your solution is otherwise workable.

An update:

Early on, I was actually fairly impressed by the level design in this iteration of Angry Birds. There was a lot more thoughts to make each level like a puzzle, so you are less reliant on "random" strikes that just happen to hit or explode at the right place. At least, this is for the main campaign, barring a few levels like P2-17 (Escape to Tatoonie).

Unfortunately, the same (so far) cannot be said for the reward chapter (bonus campaign). The level design here was back to absurd methods and solutions used in the original Angry Birds, whereby whatever strategy you use will ultimately be overridden by whether or not some "random" strikes will happen or not. Often, for a one-bird solution, you need to have a series of 5-10 explosions or bounces all occurring correctly, none of which you have any control from the moment you launch and after (at most) one tap to trigger special ability. This means even if you can already visualize the solution (and know that it works), you will just keep replaying the same strategy over and over again until the game's some "random" elements that just happen to occur in your favor to let you win.

Sigh... Fly so high. Fall so low (again).

3. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Finished the chapters and the bonus round. Cant wait until an update comes out! Awesome!

4. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    #44 y2kmp3, Sep 28, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
    CygnetSeven,

I want to ask you about the reward chapter. I am finding the setups in most of the levels to be insanely ridiculous. The levels are obviously meant (in most, if not all) to be solved with one bird. Yet, whatever strategy you use (even if you know that you are on the right path) is easily overridden by some "random" physics that the game decides to throw at you. Even if you manage to solve a level, you are disheartened by the fact that you are unlikely to be able to reproduce it.

Update: Another example of a sadistic level is PR-9 (Pork, Reward Chapter). To get the box, you need to aim with a margin of error of about 2 pixels (you see what I mean once you figure out the trajectory). Long after you have already figured out what to do, you will still be playing the same level because the game somehow thinks it is reasonable for you to launch a trajectory with such a narrow window with your fat finger. Are you kidding me?! What's next? Playing Limbo or Super Meat Boy to completion without dying?

5. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    i've updated it and lost all characters progress... F**K!!!
    every update on iOS apps is a pain in the ass!!!

6. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

I was never much of a fan of Angry Birds. I had downloaded this game when it was free, but didn't try it till now and I must say, I am very impressed. The various abilities, great level design, and nice visual style really makes this by far the best AB game I've played and maybe one of my favorite physics puzzle games I've played on IOS. The wide range of powers really make it feel more like an action puzzle game than the other AB games I've played. And while there is IAP, it feels very unnecessary to make progress.

7. vii-Lucky

vii-Lucky Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2013
    Way better than the original.

I personally loved the first one over this sequel.

8. That is very true, this one I actually enjoy.

9. brave heart

brave heart Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2015
    so did they stop updating the app ?