A must see for new developers

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Kriio, Aug 24, 2010.

1. racingspider

racingspider Well-Known Member

Very good interview. It's important to note that very few apps sell tons as overnight successes. Angry Birds took 6 months to get where it is, if I remember correctly. So, it can happen for anyone who has a great app - though competition is fierce.

2. kflab

kflab Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
    Italy
    I think that is a great point. After building a great app, you have to go through the marketing thing.
    I mean Doodle Jump is great and it has a really easy approach but what fill the gap between people and selling the app to them? Marketing your app and just telling everyone that your apps is out there just "ready for sale" :)

Nice interview! Thanks for sharing.

3. woodn

woodn Active Member

Aug 24, 2010
    Game Developer & Graphic Designer
    Switzerland
    @Kriio: Thanks a lot for that Video! Just what i needed to get me really going with my own game! It really looks like it's a looong and persistant way to walk until you get anywhere.

4. smuttlegiaco

smuttlegiaco Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    a nice, competent down-to-earth guy. interesting and very motivating. thanks for the link!

5. Kriio

Kriio Active Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Budget and Finance Analyst
    NYC
    You are very welcome

Im glad you guys took smth for it. I agree, the marketing part if vital to any app. I particularly liked the fact that paid advertisement was pretty much useless and word of mouth/reviews got the game going. Their story is particularly motivational for me (kriio interactive) because we too are just like two brothers in NYC, one deals with programming and the other with grafix.

Viva indie developers

6. woody

woody Member

Aug 8, 2010
    Jagimo creator
    Brooklyn, NY
    The tough thing is that developers are not usually good marketers. So you might make a great game, but if no one knows about it, it doesn't matter.

I thought it was interesting that he got someone at Apple to look at his app. It really boils down to contacts in the free-marketing arena.

I wrote an article about my startup, which I posted in the other thread here. We're still earlier stage than these guys, but the hurdles are familiar.