Universal Smash Dude 2 - A New Idle Clicker - Beta Testers Wanted!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by jackeveritt, Apr 10, 2017.

1. jackeveritt

jackeveritt Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Firezoo CEO
    London
    #1 jackeveritt, Apr 10, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    Hi everyone!

Jack here from Firezoo - a two man indie game studio! We have been working on a new version of our game Smash Dude. It's taken ages to get to this point but a beta is ready!

Here is a video clip:

The point of the game is to smash as many dudes as you can and collect all the weapons. You can also unlock businesses which help you earn and unlock weapons faster.

If you like 'idle' and 'clicker' games I need your help. I am looking for beta testers for feedback on any aspect of the game.

If you would like to try the beta please pm me your email address and I can send you the app via test flight. At the moment the beta is only available on iOS 8 or above on iPhone and iPad.

Thanks guys, I'm looking forward to your feedback! :D

Jack

2. alastairtapdaq

Nov 5, 2016
    Head of Partnerships @ Tapdaq
    This is great! The way the body & limbs thrash about as you shoot is great, really addictive tapping and is the difference between this, and the other clicker games that I’ve played so far.

My work in levelling up my bank yesterday bagged me 16m coins in 24 hours. I had a browse around initially to see what I could spend my fortune on, but it felt like that part of the game economy was self-contained, and that I could only spend my fortune on more businesses, that would give me more coins etc. After a while, I did discover I could improve my tap damage, but that wasn’t immediately.

In general, it felt like there was an imbalance towards this part of the economy - I had 16m coins and all other resources were single digit/early double digit.

It was confusing to me why the paintball gun is unlocked after the pistol? It is less powerful, so I probably wouldn’t ever use it. I tested it anyway (!) and got my first fail.

Is there any penalty for failing to properly destroy the Smash Dude? If so, that wasn’t apparent.

Are there any plans to implement some Game Center features? I am not a dev myself so this may be a lot of work, but what I would find cool:
    All-time ranking of users based on level
    All-time ranking based on speed in eliminating specific characters

It would be cool to add in some subtle animations for Smash Dude/other characters. Something like a wink after 30/60 secs of inactivity, or grimace if he gets shot in the nuts or something.

3. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    Message sent

4. gabuas

gabuas New Member

Jul 19, 2013
    How cam i participate on the beta

5. johnkittz

johnkittz Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2017
    Message sent

6. killy billy

killy billy Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2009
    planet iphone/ipad
  7. jackeveritt

jackeveritt Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Firezoo CEO
    London
    I am glad you enjoyed my take of a clicker game. I find tapping and smashing the dude very satisfying :D

I agree about the imbalance of the game towards the businesses. I was thinking I might remove the ‘lock’ on the weapons so they can be unlocked via coins, rather than having to smash X amount of dudes. What do you think? That way you can buy more weapons.

Currently, the weapons are in a mixed up order. Although the Paintball Gun is less powerful than the Pistol as you discovered, the Paintball Gun earns you more coins per tap. Also, each weapon you unlock increases your tap damage as well with a significant boost. But these features are not explained anywhere at the moment. If you tap on the stats button next to each weapon there is some information about the properties of the weapon. I may change the order of the weapon so it is in the order of how powerful the weapons are rather than just my current arbitrary order - good feedback!

There is no penalty for failing to smash the dude. You just don’t get the reward. What you find, the more dudes you destroy, the longer they take to destroy. So the penalty for failing is implicit - it's the time taken to reach the ‘Smash Stage’. If you fail, you have to kill the dude again. It felt to mean to add a penalty, but is there any you can think of that maybe cool?

I definitely think its worth adding in Game Center. I have added your leaderboard ideas to my list! I also like the idea of animating the face. Any animation to do with being hit in the nuts is always a winner!

Thanks for your feedback, it's really great!

:)

8. johnkittz

johnkittz Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2017
    Tutorial is pretty good, explains everything pretty well. I did have a crash that happened when I very first opened the game, I also had some lag during the first couple minutes especially during the "slow-mo" parts.

Info:
    - iPhone 5c
    - iOS 10.2.1

9. jackeveritt

jackeveritt Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Firezoo CEO
    London
    Thanks John! I tested on the iPhone 5c after you posted this and I also get the lag. The 'Slow Mo' parts are not supposed to be slow mo at all - thats just more extreme lag :D ! Hopefully next week some of that lag will be optimised away. Thanks again for trying the game. Did you have any more thoughts?

10. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    #10 Jayg2015, Apr 16, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
    Edit:
    I didn't realize their was a "prestige" in which I sell my tech and receive points to spend in multipliers.
    Do the unused points give you a bonus? do the multipliers carry over to the next "prestige"?

I'm confused about the weapons.
    The further I unlock the worse they get. The gun is my post powerful but after that they get worse.
    I really don't understand that part.
    Also I fly through the first 15 levels but then at a huge increase in difficulty.
    I understand it should get harder but it's like going from a 1 difficulty to a 10.

11. jackeveritt

jackeveritt Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Firezoo CEO
    London
    At the moment, unused Tokens do not give you a bonus. Is that something you enjoy in other idle games? And yes the Tokens carry over. Anything purchased with Tokens carry over as well. So if you purchased a dude character design or powerup that would persist.

Thanks for the feedback about the weapons. Other people have also been confused by the order of the weapons. I don't think the system I have created is clear enough, perhaps I need to re work it. Here is how it works at the moment - You have a Tap Damage which is how powerful your tapping is. Each time you unlock a weapon your tap damage is boosted. You can also upgrade the tap damage as well. But each weapon has some stats. Some weapons will increase the Tap Damage by a certain percentage or reduce it. Weapons that reduce the tap damage tend to increase the amount of coins earnt per tap to compensate. So if you need to earn some coins you can switch to a weapon which earns more coins.

I think I might change the order of weapons so that they get more and more powerful as you progress, otherwise it might be confusing. What do you think about the weapons? Another idea is to not have a global tap damage, but make each weapon have a tap damage which you can upgrade. Or I could have categories of weapons, so you can either buy a powerful tapping weapon or a weapon that will tap more coins out of the dude?

In regards to the difficulty, you are right. I've got the maths wrong there. I am going to fix that in the next beta update.

Thanks for your feedback!