Graphics vs Content

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by thegraywolf, Feb 18, 2014.

1. thegraywolf

thegraywolf Active Member

Feb 3, 2014
    I know we all look for both but which is more important for you? I just want to see the general opinion about these two factors. :)

2. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Content and gameplay always come first IMO.

3. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    gameplay.

Good gameplay and minimal graphics beats great graphics and crappy gameplay every day of the week

4. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Gameplay all day. Graphics are more like cherry on top if it had good graphics.

5. thegraywolf

Feb 3, 2014
    In games I always look for the story. I appreciate good graphics when I see one but what keeps me attached or interested is the development of the story. I guess it's a big challenge for game developers to balance both.

6. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    First gameplay then content for me. Always.

7. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Whatever catches my eye actually. Usually I go for turn based games, but hey there's this Flappy Bird thing eveyone's talking about. And look Any Landing has a progressive freemium model. Then the talk about Threes on almost every website I go to got me downloading it. Meanwhile, I am still waiting for more turn based board wargames to drop, and if Apple comes out with its controller, I will buy every FPS I don't already own.

So in short, I just buy whatever catches my eye...

8. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    I think you'll be hard pressed to find someone who says whey prefer good graphics over good gameplay.

That said, good graphics will make your game look a lot more appealing - and really help the number of downloads you get. They also will make the game more enjoyable. Part of the fun of games like Infinity Blade and Epoch is the spectacle of it - but they have the gameplay to back it up.

9. aikavari

aikavari Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2011
    I'd say, it depends on the genre. That said, having great graphics regardless of the game (as long as gameplay doesn't hurt) is never a bad idea.

10. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    They're both important.
    If a game has terrible gameplay, then I won't want to play it even if it has amazing graphics.
    If a game has terrible graphics, then I won't want to play it even if it has amazing gameplay.

11. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Yeah, for sure.

I find myself playing ASCII games over the likes of crazy stuff like Infinity Blade (not saying its bad, I haven't actually played it).

I'm oldschool. Give me gameplay over everything. I don't care much for story or graphics.

12. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    That is not strictly true. Infinity Blade had great graphics, for its time. I downloaded it. Played it once to take a look, then deleted it. Fruit Ninja has functional graphics with similar gameplay to Infinoty Blade. I played it once or twice then also deleted it. Basically if I am uninterested in that type of game, great graphics or hype may make me take a look, but I usually do not continue plying such games.

13. thegraywolf

Feb 3, 2014
    Thank you for your insights. I'm sorry for the title, I know we are all tired of seeing this question over and over again. But visual or graphical advancements are progressing at a very fast rate that even us can't keep up with, does the world now look upon on beauty of the art or does it still want to feel a good story.

14. _Max_

_Max_ Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2012
    Gameplay go first. Enough to say

15. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Er... Story is NOT gameplay, although it can contribute to an immersive experience.

16. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    He never really specified gameplay, just content

17. Bronxsta

#17 Bronxsta, Feb 19, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
    A game can have amazing artistry but a poor story
    A game can have a fantastic narrative without visuals or graphics (countless text adventure games)
    A game can have finely tuned gameplay with the simplest graphics and no story

It all depends on what kind of game someone wants to play. I wouldn't say there's some overwhelming consensus towards which makes a better experience.

But in isolation, I think gameplay is most imporant.

18. thegraywolf

Feb 3, 2014
    I've read a lot of article about it and the majority always pick gameplay.What you said is true, that at the end of the day, it all depends on what kind of game we want to experience.

19. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    I think graphics reached their apex during the Playstation 1 era, as in those 3D games made me go wow I did not know we could do that. The best example being Metal Gear Solid. A game played from a Third Person Perspective, but could instantly be switched to First Person Perspective, and where the cutscenes were rendered using the game engine. The whole game world felt so coherent and real.

After that graphics just became prettier, but no longer were able to impress me, because they just approached reality, which is what I see everyday in the real world anyway. So big deal...

20. Bronxsta

You need to check out some games like NaissanceE, Mirrormoon EP, Fract, Proteus, etc. (all PC indies) Exploration games in abstract places, that impress by placing you in these atmospheric worlds that could never exist in real life

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]