How do I procure art for my first iOS game?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by pkMinhas, Dec 6, 2011.

1. pkMinhas

pkMinhas Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2011
    Software development
    India
    Hi guys,
    I have started developing my first iOS game using Cocos2D. It is a 2d aerial combat game. I have the placeholder art ready at my disposal and have been developing using the same.
    How should I go about procuring art for my game. What are the going charges for a good 2d artist and how much would it cost per sprite/animation frame. What kind of inputs need to be given to an artist and which is the best site/portal for getting in touch with an artist.

-PK Minhas

2. o-b-o

o-b-o Member

Jul 22, 2011
    development & management
    Europe
    You are at the same stage as we were three weeks ago:
    1. We googled forums/portals for 2D artists (we focused on Polish sites to avoid an issues with time difference) to find the most popular.
    2. We put 3 adverts (on different forums) about hiring a 2D artist as a contractor for a single project (mobile game on iOS). We requested a cartoonish graphics style.
    3. We got around 30 resumes and we choose 15 candidates.
    4. We asked them for a "free test" (a single 2D asset in our style)
    5. After 1 week, when we got tests back, we asked all candidates about their payment - according to the scope of work, so we listed all assets (without detailed description): amount of assets with a particular resolutions (e.g. 4 enemies in 48x48px / 24x24px = iPad/iPhone; 6 backgrounds in 768x1024px / 320x480px, etc..)
    6. Also we asked them how much time they need to finalize all assets.
    7. We chose only one artist - who wasn't expensive and was able to finish her work in 2 weeks.
    8. We signed a contract and right now (after 2 weeks of her work) we have all assets done :)

So we can't tell you what is the price for a single asset but we suggest you to do the same steps as we did - you will see there are different costs and you will be able to choose the best option for you (which fits in your budget)

Good luck! :)

3. John Harrison

John Harrison Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2009
  4. pkMinhas

pkMinhas Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2011
    Software development
    India
    Thanks guys!