Game Scripts (the screenwriting kind)

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Sinecure Industries, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

How many of you are working on stories for your games? How in depth are you making them? I'm writing a fairly robust story and it's quite a lot to work on, here's my thoughts on the matter and how I'm working through it... http://ind.ustri.es/dialogue

2. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    It's always difficult to write for games. In a movie you can devote time to developing characters through the kinds of situations and interactions they have, but when making a game, those situations and interactions are defined first, and the script comes after. It's very challenging to mould stories into games and I admire those who can do it well.

3. Sinecure Industries

I've been working the opposite way, Essential. I'm turning a script I wrote a few years ago into a game - of course totally altering it but it's a base to work from. I notice a lot of games start off really strong but totally lose focus by the end and I really want to avoid that.

4. dansu

dansu Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    San Francisco Bay Area
    It sounds like you have your work cut out for you. At least you have the advantage of being able to work with a script you wrote before instead of starting completely from scratch. I'm starting from scratch and it is already a lot more work than I expected just coming up with a decent linear story so I'm not even going to consider branching storylines and alternate endings.

Anyways, best of luck to you. Since you are an aspiring screenwriter, I already have high expectations for your game :)

5. Sinecure Industries

Thanks! It's kind of a "down the road" project but it's best to start early.

Starting from scratch isn't all bad either, just be sure to build and change that protagonist :D

6. PixelthisMike

PixelthisMike Well-Known Member

I really look forward to the finished game Sinecure! I love games that are really driven by the story and, in a similar way to a good book, you just want to keep playing to see what happens next! I found this with The Longest Journey and its sequel Dreamfall; although the puzzles weren't overly difficult the plot had me totally hooked. Wish the would bring out the next installment!

7. Sinecure Industries

Thanks Pixel. My business partner said he wants to do some concept art and preliminary sketches, so maybe I'll have something fun to post soon. It'll be fun watching the writing come to life - and I'll see what the descriptions I write leads him to draw.