LFGame in the weird IOS RPG landscape

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by speetz, Mar 2, 2016.

1. speetz

speetz Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2013
    So I have a few bucks on my account and have been looking for a good RPG (and that includes rogue likes, ARPGs or any other fusion beside puzzle RPGs like Puzzles and Dragons, which don't do it for me) and am at a sort of impass, especially since I only have my iPhone 4s right now, sadly. Otherwise I would be destroying Crashlands right now, but my memory letting me leave stuff in the rain and my son wetting himself while sitting on my other device (luck sucks) leave me with the 4s for now. Basically I just want something that has great character progression, interesting combat and customization, but otherwise am open to a lot. I would say battle heart legacy is probably an ideal game to me, if that says anything. And although strong story doesn't matter to much to me, the more realistic the world is is important to me; having one- one hundred floor dungeon is always a weird concept to me, though not deal breaker, as Dungeons of Dredmor is a game I wish upon wish would come to mobile, even if I don't have a iPad.

So my question is two prong; firstly, am I the only one who loves RPGs but puta character developoment, progression, and battle mechanics essentially above all else, even if I am varied as to what that might consist of? And also, wtf should I play? I was looking a few different titles, but so many are rogue likes that don't give me the good ol now-my-character-is-badass-after-a-hundred-hours-yet-I'm-still-challenged feeling, though I still do enjoy them to some degree, like DofD and a few iOS titles. I liked to crescent moon games but bugs have screwed me over in those, and Mage gauntlet was great but while wayward souls is fun, it doesn't give me the usual rogue like feelings nor the progression within a world feeling as I have described...

Ok I'll shut up, again just wondering if I'm the only one and what I should play. Thanks in advance! Hope this sparks some interesting discussion about mobile RPGs in general though, really...

2. ashmike3

ashmike3 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    #2 ashmike3, Mar 2, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
    Your far from alone in your tastes. I'm not 100% on compatibility for that device, but if your open to squad based/ turn based rpg's then Treese Brothers, Heroes of Steel (fantasy RPG) or Templar (sci-if RPG ). Both are excellent imo. Not sure on that small screen.
    I also enjoyed Spellfall, it's a matching RPG with pretty good customization for something a little different. Not sure about ompatibility on that one either. Look at The Quest as well. Adventure to Fate launches tomorrow, JRPG style (good progression, pixel graphics)
    There also is a thread called RPG Reload, where the resident expert on RPG's Shaun, has reviewed many, many options ( worth checking it out)
    Others here will probably have a lot of recommends.

3. Bucktroo

Bucktroo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 29, 2011
    Male
    Analyst
    Natural State
    I agree with checking out RPG Reload Thread

He reviews great older mobile RPGs that will likely run on your 4s.

4. speetz

speetz Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Thanks for the responses! Keep me comin!

I have The Quest, though am short on funds to really delve into the expansions, though am open to ones that come reccomended...?

And adventures of fate I have my eye on; I like rogues similar to its style, like Cardinal Quest 1&2. The others you mentioned I will be checking out the next 24 hours for sure, as Quedt being a fav and ADv of Fate being another I really was interested in, so I think I am not one so alone as I may have thought.

Bringing these up and my aforementioned love of BHL, reminds me of that strange unarmed allure of said game, yet it being such a perfect mix (with of course some critics isn't, it's not a messiah or anything) of the factors I enjoy so much, with good map styles (with average to good map development) as opposed to the whole hundred floor dungeon, and it's great progression with great character "uniqueness" for lack of a term. It allows for many different templates to become very high end, and yet still with more than just aesthetics making the character your own.

Here is to hoping some of what you mentioned has at least a couple of these factors, and to hoping we get a bit more of a compilation here.

PS: a random thought, but am I also in agreement that although some party based games are great (Funal Fantady) they are better when either with a main, completely created character (Baldurs Gate and other D&D games) or just withh e single, more personal protagonist? (BHL, the Elder Scrills series, etc)

5. speetz

speetz Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Oh also, thanks for the reload suggestion; I am very familiar with his article, though his taste is great, many of the best (such as Spiderweb Games greats like Avadon and Avernum etc) are either more costly, only on iPad, or less often not what I like as much... Sometimes when I even want a FF like RPG I just don't want to dedicate 3GB to a game that I'll finish in forty hours. However selfish I like some more replay than just one linear story, even if it's less hours but more playthroughs with etc. hence why I was going to get Bards Tale for that much room and only three bucks, but I don't have the room, and it's a total must have besides the character customization, which if it wasn't what I was so looking for right now honestly wouldn't matter.... Wow I sound picky hahaah

6. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Highly recommend picking up Adventure To Fate upon release tomorrow as well.

For a combat-centric turn-based, gesture-controlled RPG with decent character progression and a skill-based combat system, check out Fearless Fantasy.

And for Action RPG, Heroes & Castles 2 runs real well on my 4S on low settings and still looks good. Very heavy on the RPG customization, tons of loot and equip mix and matching, and skills that you also can mix and max between the race classes. Only thing missing is exploration, but all other boxes are checked with a huge marker.

7. speetz

speetz Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2013
    #7 speetz, Mar 2, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
    Whoa! Didn't realize H&C 2 could run on a 4s!! I'll be heading to download that and Adventure of Fate ASAP! Thanks again for the recommendations!!

Edit: is there anyway to avoid HC2 crashing at random intervals on my 4s? Seems like it does whenever it has been running for a bit and is overusing RAM possibly? Just wondering what you may do to keep it from happening; don't like restarting battles :(

8. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Are you on low settings? On the 4S i only crash if i spent time crafting before i start a wave.

9. speetz

speetz Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Yeah I am on the lowest; it's like it runs out of RAM. Only happens when there are a lot of enemies on the battle field (which means right before I finish the battle XD) and for instance after I deleted the Facebook app it started happening less. But it still happens, especially if I don't clear out other apps from the double tap screen thing (totally don't know what that's called lol) I wish Apple had a way to look and see what's causing your device to eat up RAM and processing power. It's like the crash is a fail safe when it gets overloaded but it ends up screwing me over :/