Percentage of games that disappoint you on iOS?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Papa Deuce, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Papa Deuce

Papa Deuce Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    #1 Papa Deuce, Apr 7, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
    Only talking about games that you actually paid for.

I bet my percentage is about 60% or so. I do my homework. I read reviews. I watch videos. I buy the games and am disappointed.

I have been disappointed so often that I am even teetering on FTL. I know $10 is not a lot for a game of that quality. I would happily pay that much if I knew I would enjoy it. But I don't know if I will. By looking at videos on YouTube, I still can't tell. I have read 50 reviews, and still can't tell.

I am not asking whether I should buy FTL, but just using that game as an example.

So, so, so many wasted dollars on games that I thought I would really enjoy.

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I've spent a ton of money on apps, i dont buy as many as i used to (just not as many which i like the look of), but after doing my homework via reviews/youtube videos etc i dont really lose that much money.

Theres quite a few factors, some users here who i seem to have the same interest in games, as you say reviews and youtube videos are so useful as well.

I used to get annoyed if i wasted some money on a game i'll never play again but then i think 'hold on it was a dollar/two dollars' etc. Granted they add up but its not like i've blown £40 on an X-Box game etc

Think 90% of games i buy i like, just 10% i regret. Got 400 installed (did have a lot more !) so theres plenty of games i really like

3. somedumbgamer

somedumbgamer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    I have around 220 game apps and have only felt scammed for 3 games totaling $20.

$5 GOF 2
    $10 GOF 2HD
    $5 Dead Effect

My refund request to apple was denied for the GOF games. Crapple said the purchases occurred too long ago. Not a good way to support good customers but rather supporting devs/publishers that practice bait and switch tactics

4. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    What is GOF and what happened with it that you wanted a refund? Did they go freemium?

5. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

If you like strategic combat, space games, roguelike elements, deep gameplay, tons of "oh shit" story worthy moments and spectacular failures, and hours of content, you'LL probably enjoy FTL.

As for the main question, I tend to do a lot of research first, and rely on forum impressions first before buying a game. Still I was pretty disappointed with Tiny Thief (nice art style, but I didn't enjoy the gameplay) and Dawn of the Plow

6. Papa Deuce

May 15, 2013
    Bronxta:

I think my main problem might be ME. In PC gaming I basically have only played a few games in the last 10 years:

1. World of Warcraft..... 9 years playing
    2. Tropico
    3. Civilization..... any version
    4. Capitalism 2

I have had addictions to those games. I want to be more diverse. but I think I am just too damn old and stuck in my ways. ( 51 years old, and closer to 52 ) I really only started iOS gaming about 18 months ago. Maybe I expect more than I should. Or maybe I don't like how so many iOS games require quick reflexes.

Whatever it is, it is more likely that it is my problem than the game's problem.... but that is why I am so reluctant these days to spend money on new - and probably very good - games.

You know, I checked, and I bet I have downloaded 400+ games.... I probably paid for 150+ of those games. Most of the games I have bought were super highly respected games...... So, I guess I am the problem.

Strangely enough, as I am a mobile DJ business owner, I find that I really enjoy most DJ apps that I buy...... I would think that I would be much more critical of those, especially since the ones that I bought are more expensive than most games.

7. Bronxsta

Maybe you should branch out with freeware PC games. There are hundreds of high-quality free PC indies in every conceivable genre, so you could try different genres without having to spend money, see which you like or interest you

Some personal freeware highlights:
    - Nitronic Rush
    - Outer Wilds
    - Zineth
    - Trilby: The Art of Theft
    - MTB Freeride
    - Perspective
    - Futuridium
    - Warning Forever
    - Facade

8. Papa Deuce

May 15, 2013
    Thanks.... I will start clicking those links... :)

9. Futuridium is free on pc? That was a cool game on ios.

10. Tommet

Tommet Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    I'd say about 90% disappoint. I've gotten to the point that with a few exceptions I've given up on buying apps. So many go free so soon anyway. The lousy has gotten worse with the freemium and IAP push.

Latest exception to my no purchase rule was FTL. I've got this on PC. Picked it up on a sale. Loved it so much I bought another copy to give the Devs more cash. Bought it on ipad to have it ultra mobile.

11. Tommet

Tommet Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Btw, check out North American video game crash of 1983 on Wikipedia. I would not be surprised if history repeated itself here.

Fwiw, there was an earlier crash in 1977 too.

12. somedumbgamer

somedumbgamer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Galaxy on fire. Bought the original and some Iaps for my iPad. Then, the HD version came out so I bought that but my Iaps didn't transfer . Now they've both gone free. DE switched too.

13. Bronxsta

Yeah, it's a free PC game. So is Boson X

14. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    I'm going to say 60% disappoint and rarely meet expectation (forum or developer generated), 20% I feel ripped off with (post release shenanigans), 15% are so-so and about 5% actually offer something fitting for the device and are enjoyable. Also for the OP, the simulation genre you like has unfortunately been gutted on iOS as it's pretty much bread and butter Freemium on the platform (and Facebook).

Thanks to a few developers stiffing supporters with post release ads, switching to a freemium model or locking customers out of content they paid for, I haven't bought an iOS title for close to 6 months. And I was a pretty avid spender. Can't be bothered with the lack of integrity or accountability.