Monster Hunter Freedom Unite any good?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by McTrenton, Feb 24, 2015.

1. McTrenton

McTrenton New Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Unfortunately I impulse bought it when it first came out. Even more unfortunate, I still haven't touched it except for all of 10 minutes. Now, I have one of the MHs for the Wii but.. Yeah. I don't want to whip my arms around trying to kill something.

So my question is this: Is it good and is it worth investing time into? Also, will it run smoothly on my iPhone 6 Plus or is it better suited for an iPad? (I don't have one.)

2. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    I also bought it at launch and just couldn't get into it. Started doing the training missions a couple weeks ago and have finished those. Have done like 8 actual quests now and it is much better than the training missions. It is a really good game with a level of polish rarely seen on mobile. I have been playing on my iPhone 6 and actually like it better than playing on iPad. So I'm sure the 6+ would be great. This is one of those games that you'll be in for the long haul. It's not a pick up and play type game.

3. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    It's a good game without a doubt. I can't however recommend it it you're not a fan of JRPGs, which is why I can't get into this game as well.

Plays just fine on my 5S, so it should be playable on the 6+.

4. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    It's absolutely worth it, but it takes time for it to get its hooks into you.

5. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Let's just say it is more of a console game where you cant just spend an hour on it and decide whether it's for you or not. Like Valkyrie Profile for example, the first 40 minutes is just the intro with zero gameplay.

In here, the first few hours are teaching you the game's basics without hand-holding. MH tells you what to do, but you need to do it to really know what the tutorial means.

There's tons of things to do in MH outside of combat, and the first few hours does that. There's picking herbs/seeds, mining, catching bugs, mixing, planting, fishing, carrying items (like eggs), managing your farm and kitchen, cat companions, etc. There's also pathfinding to know where to run to safety if needed, or knowing your way around when some entrances are blocked. Then there's the basic monster material hunting which introduces you to non-hostile enemies that give out basic pelts and meats. One of the first gathering missions also tell you that you dont have to (or cant) kill everything thrown at you. All these take a few hours to complete split into a few missions that may take longer or shorter depending if you already have experience in the MH world.

Once you complete those and start the Velocidrome and Bulldrome quests, things get serious and a lot more interesting. Especially when you complete the mission and get the carves, and going to the blacksmith and discover things you unlocked by completing the boss hunts.

After a few hunts, you get to face your first real boss, the Kut Ku. He is everyone's first-ever wall. He also determines if you have what it takes to go further into the game. Killing your first Kut Ku will either hook you hard, or turn you off. That part, is totally up to you.

I'd say it's absolutely worth the time invested, and you'd be getting into one of the deepest action RPG games ever made.

Good luck!

6. McTrenton

McTrenton New Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Thanks everybody. Looks like I have to get into it for a few hours today or tomorrow. I haven't played any JRPGs I've particularly been a fan of (I really don't even like Zelda. Queue the murderous mobs of angry fans.) but I'm definitely open to trying them out. I would just feel somewhat guilty if I don't at least try to get into it. You know, after the crazy price tag.

Somewhat unrelated, are there any other JRPGs I should give a whirl to? I hear day and night about how amazing a lot of JRPGs are but being a Western folk, I haven't really met anyone in person that enjoys them so I have had no experience with them. Thoughts?

7. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
    Not trying to come across curt, but it has precious little to do with almost any JRPG I can think of. The action consists of a parade of the most intensive boss battles imaginable, and the upgrade system is almost like a strategy game. There's almost no story to speak of. It's the Seven Samurai of action games: it slowly builds up to a wordless ballet of carnage.

8. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    This is a dealbreaker in my opinion. Don't get Monster Hunter.
    While the division between Japanese and Western RPGs may not be imortant or even apparent to some people, it is to some of us. I am not hating on anything or anyone here, but I just can't delve into JRPGs or even anime cartoons. It hasn't got much to do with mechanics of the game, it just has to do with the style of it (not refering just to art here).

9. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
    This is sounding just a teensy bit... [let's be diplomatic and say] xenophobic. Putting aside the fact that the gulf between Ozu and Otaku is humongous, MHFU is as serious as an orphanage on fire. The only goofy elements are the bumbling cat companions, but they hardly define the game. MHFU is as straight-faced as any Western RPG you can name. I don't see the overt Nipponiness of it at all. It's a game in which you hack or shoot shit up in beautiful environments, then carve up their corpses and leave their bones to gather dust (that is unless those bones are the missing ingredient to some plate armor you've got your eye on). The only vaguely Japanese tell-tale I can think of is I can imagine whale hunters would dig this game...

10. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    It's a game from Japan, but i dont consider this a JRPG. I refer to JRPGs more to the traditional turn-based style used by games like Final Fantasy, Breath of Fire, and Lufia.

Similar to KRPG. The game doesnt have to come from Korea to be called KRPG, but has to do with the gameplay style akin to what Korea made popular which is more of the top-down action-RPG type leaning towards a good number of fetch quests.

11. chaos_envoys

chaos_envoys Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Medical Doctor
    Pokke Village, Indonesia
    Monster hunter nailed it for the presentation... I really love the feeling of accomplishment when beating a super hard monster, and getting its parts to make my weapon.. When i first playing MHF at psp (i was 15 if i'm not mistaken), i remembered that i even scared when facing the three velociprey missions... Now, even teostra and fatalis didn't scare me ;)

12. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Yeah, MH really isn't an RPG at all. It's an action game with some RPG elements, but even in that regard, it has fewer RPG elements than most modern action games. No experience points or leveling up, for example.

It is Japanese, of course, but there are virtually no traces of what Westerners tend to associate with anime in it. The felynes are probably the only giveaway. There are no silly Dragonball-style moves or doe-eyed princesses who look 12 years old but are actually 2000 year old dragons. Just heavily armored warriors versus fierce monsters.

Its gameplay design is very Japanese, though. The camera is unwieldy and there's a lot of grinding involved in getting the best gear. It rewards patient players and it's not afraid to beat you mercilessly until you do things right. It's definitely not for everyone.

Liking or not liking Final Fantasy or Zelda really has little bearing on whether you might like MH. Other than a country of origin and all of them using a broad fantasy theme, they've got little in common. Monster Hunter is more like a bunch of boss fights from games like Devil May Cry or Demon's Souls, just with more preparation and the ability to play co-op.

13. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Definitely stick with one, or both, of the games you've picked up.

I find the MH games infinitely more enjoyable with physical controls. If you can, I would pick up a classic controller to play MH3 on your Wii with, so you don't have to deal with motion controls.

I definitely think MHFU is the superior game, but if you don't have an MFi controller I'd say MH3 will be more enjoyable.

Though that's just me, plenty of people have gotten the hang of the touch controls and love them. And, I must say they are extremely well implemented, but they just don't do it for me with MH.

But I mean you have the game, you know whether you like them or not.

My other mine gripe with MHFU on iOS is how badly it'll kill my phones battery, and I just don't enjoy being tethered to the wall.

All in all, MHFU is gonna be the better game, but I think you'll get a better experience out of using physical controls, especially for a newcomer.

14. Orderhere

Orderhere Active Member

Jan 28, 2015
    It's an extremely deep/long (you're looking at say 500 hours) game, definitely not pick-up and play. Since it's so complex you gotta rely on the monster hunter wiki a lot. You also gotta have immense threshold for frustration because this is hands down the hardest iOS game I've ever played. You're looking at a tendency to throw your device across the room every other battle.
    Unfortunately this game is much better on a console with physical controls. Touch screens simply don't work that well and you're gonna have some control issues.
    If you can get past all that and have the patience of a saint grinding content for crafting materials, then this is one of those apps that you'll never ever delete and will last you years.