Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Old 07-29-2014, 11:28 AM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by masands View Post
That statement makes no sense. I recommend you read on what Metal is first...
I know what Metal is lol. It definitely wont magically optimise a game for SoC's which are running on new GPU architectures like the A7 especially when taking into account that many games have better performance on iPad 4 than on Air or Mini Retina.
FYI, Metal wont speed up gaming performance out of the box. It just works better for specific aspects in processing graphics such as better performing draw calls and lowering CPU usage (though, the CPU architecture remained still the same -or at least don't changed that much as the GPU did- after A7 Upgrade and beside that is mostly used for physics, AI and low level processing only, so this isn't the reason for the laggieness which we have today with the A7. It's the non-optimisation on the GPU part).
By using Metal, Devs still have to optimise their games for the new GPU architecture no matter what PLUS coding their games to utilize Metal at all, which is a completely new API. This isn't "oh, I'll just throw my game at Metal, no need for optimization".
But that's what most ppl think it is.
It's the same as it is with mostly every new generation for pc graphic cards, but seems like iOS devs didn't realised that as of yet.

Last edited by Nekku; 07-29-2014 at 02:23 PM..
Old 07-30-2014, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekku View Post
I know what Metal is lol. It definitely wont magically optimise a game for SoC's which are running on new GPU architectures like the A7 especially when taking into account that many games have better performance on iPad 4 than on Air or Mini Retina.
FYI, Metal wont speed up gaming performance out of the box. It just works better for specific aspects in processing graphics such as better performing draw calls and lowering CPU usage (though, the CPU architecture remained still the same -or at least don't changed that much as the GPU did- after A7 Upgrade and beside that is mostly used for physics, AI and low level processing only, so this isn't the reason for the laggieness which we have today with the A7. It's the non-optimisation on the GPU part).
By using Metal, Devs still have to optimise their games for the new GPU architecture no matter what PLUS coding their games to utilize Metal at all, which is a completely new API. This isn't "oh, I'll just throw my game at Metal, no need for optimization".
But that's what most ppl think it is.
It's the same as it is with mostly every new generation for pc graphic cards, but seems like iOS devs didn't realised that as of yet.
Exactly. Optimising for Metal is hard work and hence your statement about developers being lazy didn't make sense. Very few games will advantage of Metal I.e iOS exclusives.

However my point was that A7 is still very powerful. Due to changes in architecture between the A6X and A7, games that have been development for longer than 6 months have not been optimised for it. I believe MC5 was delayed multiple times?
Old 07-30-2014, 12:48 PM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

The devs which have created Oceanhorn optimised it for A7 devices within 2 weeks.
Before: 20-25fps
After: rocksolid 60fps
Just saying.

The reason why I said this is explained in the last part of my last posting. I meant still lazy on optimizing it for the A7.