Help me pick a new phone?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Balu`, Feb 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    Hey guys! I need some help choosing a new phone, since one I currently have (a SE X10 mini pro) is getting pretty old. The obvious answer would be an iPhone in this community, but a 4s and even a 4 would be way out of my price range... I've been thinking about a WP7 device, maybe the cheaper Lumia.
    Any ideas?

2. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Depends really on where you are in the world and what network you are on. Also if you want to stay on Android or try something new.
    If you want a cheap smart phone I'll throw in the Samsung Galaxy mini it's quite new but is much more like a galaxy S than S2.

I've actually been thinking about buying one of these but I kind of like the rugged indestructable kinda gadget I'm a sucker for G-Shocks etc.

Best bet is probably looking on your networks site for offers in truth though.

3. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    I would. However, while they are cheap in the US, here a 4S 16GB costs ~$700 on an affordable (~$20-25 a month) plan.

I'm in Hungary on T-Mobile. And I'm getting sort of tired of Android, so I'm completely open to something new.
    Galaxy mini is good, but way too small to use without a keyboard, thanks to my huge fingers. Plus, Google isn't known for supporting older or lower-end devices for a long time, it won't even get ICS.
    These reasons are exactly why I've been looking at the Lumia 710 by Nokia. It looks decent, WP7 seems like a good system (and yes, I've tried it already) and there are few Android devices that are good in this price range (LG's Optimus Black, Samsung's Galaxy S Plus or SE's Neo would be options, though only the first two are available).

4. phazer89

phazer89 Well-Known Member

If you want a WP7 a Nokia phone would be good, although the 710's battery life might be somewhat bad IIRC. Maybe the Lumia 610, but that won't be out for some time.

5. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    Yeah, I've heard it's pretty bad, but my current phone's is absolutely horrible, so I'm used to it. :X I'm buying one really soon, so sadly that one is out of the picture.

6. November's Chopin

November's Chopin Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    $50 on a plan? Which country are you from?
    In Canada it's $159 on a plan. o_O

7. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    If you're getting a WP7 the Lumia 800 and 900 are so sexy :cool:! The 710 . . . not so much :(.

Lumia 800
    [​IMG]

8. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    #8 Cilo, Mar 2, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
    Lol it comes in black and white as well.

9. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    My dad has a windows phone 7 for work and he hates it lol. Probably one of the worst operating systems he's seen. He can't stand it haha. Neither can I. It might just be me but the metro UI is terrible and ugly

10. phazer89

phazer89 Well-Known Member

Well you can probably get more juice out of it by turning off the standard battery-draining features (3G, auto-syncing etc.), and it should still last a day if you don't use it that much. Plus I think you can take out the battery?

Metro is probably a love-it-or-hate-it UI, although more people seem to like it than not.

11. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Get the new - Samsung Mega, with a 6.3" screen (16cm) or the smaller variant 5.8" great for mobile gaming.

12. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    Hah, I appreciate the help fellows, but this thread is almost a year and a half old. :D

13. EfratBarTal

EfratBarTal Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    For dual sim, either Samsung Fame or Nokia Asha 501. Fame is more useful IMHO, because it supports SD cards up to 64GB, which means you can have a lot more stuff on it.

14. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010