More Classics

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by TonyR, Aug 26, 2009.

1. TonyR

TonyR Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Apple S/O - Seville Vendor
    Austin
    Call me old skool but I like the classic games
    that I grew up with to come to the iPhone.
    It's awesome that Q-Bert and a few of the
    PAC-MAN games came out. But it would be nice to see other
    easily portable games such as pitfall, tunnel runner, and why oh why won't nintendo get off their high horse and release some games. If they
    can make RE4, Wolfenstein, and Need for Speed then they should be
    more than able to release some of the older games as well, should be more
    than simple. I can't be the only one who would like to see them arrive.
    Frogger could of been done better though. Still nice to have.

2. mrkgoo

mrkgoo Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2008
    You seriously don't see why Nintendo don't release software for the iDevices? Nintendo's sole business is to sell video games and video game hardware. The model is to sell hardware, and make profits off their own software and royalties off third-party publishers and developers on their hardware.

To sell their games on another device would be to undermine their whole model, and thus their whole business. Their exclusives are what drives their sales of hardware, and thus the flocking of developers, and thus more profit.
    Sales on another device is sure to make money, but not as much as they will be inclined to lose indirectly from their core business.

3. Flashbang99

Flashbang99 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2009
    My thoughts exactly.

4. TonyR

TonyR Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Apple S/O - Seville Vendor
    Austin
    Wasn't saying strictly Nintendo games, that's my own thing but I know about the "buyers market" so I see why they don't. Doesn't make it any less lame though.

Thanks for answering though.

5. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Run! has an old school pitfall type feel.

6. Ykcops

Ykcops New Member

Sep 12, 2009
    I don't understand why anyone would want to emulate a far inferior and outdated machine on the iPhone which is clearly capable of much better.

7. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Nostalgia for one.

Preserving history for another.

And, most importantly, a lot of the classic games are classic for a reason: They're great gameplay experiences.

Put it to you this way:

I'd rather watch Fritz Lang's Metropolis in the original aspect ratio, in the original black and white, with the dialogue and action cards popping up periodically onscreen than have the entire thing rebuilt using computers (ala the Fred Astaire Pepsi commercials - or was it Coke?) in IMAX framing, in color, in 3D, and with spoken dialogue. That film is a classic for a reason, and is still enjoyable to watch even now.

Same sort of deal with stuff like Pac-Man and the rest.

That said...a MIX of old classics in emulated form (with optimized emulators, mind you) and new, original iPhone/touch offerings are best. Nothing wrong with wanting BOTH.