Universal [NZ Soft Launch] Glyph Quest Chronicles (by Chorus Worldwide)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Bulk Paint, Feb 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bulk Paint

Bulk Paint Well-Known Member

Questers (in very specific territories) rejoice! Glyph Quest Chronicles is now available in:

• Norway
    • Sweden
    • Finland
    • Denmark
    • Singapore
    • New Zealand

If you're in one of those territories, you can pick the game up now. Right this second. It's even free to download, so what are you waiting for?

If you're not in one of those territories, you'll have to wait a few more weeks. We understand that this may make you sadface and for that we apologise. But not to worry - it won't be long now, then you can Quest with the Rest.

Don't know what Glyph Quest Chronicles is? Well, why not take a looksee at the other thread and get yourself all caught up. (TL:DR - it's a puzzle battle game with a simple interface but a ridiculously deep spell casting system and more cute monsters than you can shake a stick at)

Who's excited? We are!

2. wondroushippo

wondroushippo 👎🏻carter👎🏻
    Patreon Bronze

Jan 4, 2010
    Male
    Ex-TA, now I do PR
    San Antonio, TX
    [NZ][Soft Launch] Glyph Quest Chronicles (by Chorus Worldwide)

[​IMG]
    Glyph Quest Chronicles

Chorus Worldwide
    Genres: Games Role-Playing Puzzle
    Free ​

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Supported Devices:

• iPad2Wifi-iPad2Wifi
    • iPad23G-iPad23G
    • iPhone4S-iPhone4S
    • iPadThirdGen-iPadThirdGen
    • iPadThirdGen4G-iPadThirdGen4G
    • iPhone5-iPhone5
    • iPodTouchFifthGen-iPodTouchFifthGen
    • iPadFourthGen-iPadFourthGen
    • iPadFourthGen4G-iPadFourthGen4G
    • iPadMini-iPadMini
    • iPadMini4G-iPadMini4G
    • iPhone5c-iPhone5c
    • iPhone5s-iPhone5s
    • iPadAir-iPadAir
    • iPadAirCellular-iPadAirCellular
    • iPadMiniRetina-iPadMiniRetina
    • iPadMiniRetinaCellular-iPadMiniRetinaCellular
    • iPhone6-iPhone6
    • iPhone6Plus-iPhone6Plus
    • iPadAir2-iPadAir2
    • iPadAir2Cellular-iPadAir2Cellular
    • iPadMini3-iPadMini3
    • iPadMini3Cellular-iPadMini3Cellular
    • iPodTouchSixthGen-iPodTouchSixthGen
    • iPhone6s-iPhone6s
    • iPhone6sPlus-iPhone6sPlus
    • iPadMini4-iPadMini4
    • iPadMini4Cellular-iPadMini4Cellular
    • iPadPro-iPadPro
    • iPadProCellular-iPadProCellular
    • iPadPro97-iPadPro97
    • iPadPro97Cellular-iPadPro97Cellular
    • iPhoneSE-iPhoneSE
    • iPhone7-iPhone7
    • iPhone7Plus-iPhone7Plus

Minimum iOS Version: iOS 9.1

Download Size: 228.5MB

3. Pagan Fox

Pagan Fox Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2012
    Downloading and will try later on.
    Hard to juggle so many great games, mul.mash and tavern guardians consuming all my time!

4. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    #4 L.Lawliet, Feb 28, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    I'm just going to pop in my NZ account because I want to play it so bad!

Unfortunately the app icon still has a name that doesn't fit (just like the previous one). I hope they can fix it soon. It says "glyph que..." Just not very aesthetically pleasing on the home screen. Making a nice icon / title is all part of making a nice app! :)

5. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    i was very excited to finally play this. The good is that the graphics and art are a step up from SGQ. If you liked the art style, you will love it in this one.

But personally, the F2P system is too much. Gold, gems and materials, ok. It's almost a staple of all GOOD F2P to have limited amounts of those, and permanent doublers purchaseable - like you have in here. And i was gonna buy the whole package. But energy timer? Nope, nuh huh. Not for me. Add in a removal of the energy timer in the package and you have a deal. Even the money-hugriest-candy-crushers don't make you lose a life unless you fail, and you can have it back instantly by friend gifting.
    Going for quests 3 times and having to wait? and that's only the first boss stage, no idea about the energy in later stages mind you, with all the grinding required for materials coins etc. Makes me hesitant to even give it more of my time. If you get similar feedback from most of your users, hopefully you will reconsider the timer. Otherwise, i can always fall back on SGQ. :)

6. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    I would have to agree with Ramza. Good game, seems like it's even more challenging than the old ones (lost early on multiple times). I love it being more challenging but with the energy system it's just not that fun anymore. You start out with 5 so you don't get much play time between losses. I was hoping there to be a remove timer IAP but there wasn't so I guess it's full on f2p now.

7. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    #7 y2kmp3, Feb 28, 2017
    I am surprised to read about the early impressions concerning the game's timer/energy system. I did not expect this at all given the developer's openness and responsiveness on the forum here about the game's development. Very interested to hear the developer's response to the criticisms in previous posts...

Also, I am surprised (and somewhat disappointed) that the game requires iOS 9.1. Seems unnecessary restrictive given that many other recent game releases that do not have advanced graphics requirements are still iOS 8.x or even 7.x compatible.

As well, does the game require online connection to play? Can the game play entirely offline once installed? Or does the game still need to download additional assets and codes after initial installation?

8. Duke12

Duke12 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2013
    #8 Duke12, Feb 28, 2017
    Timer will go away when you spend enough real money so you fill "Patron-meter". I dont know how much though.

9. Bulk Paint

Every time you complete a quest we give you a stamp. Fill up your loyalty card and you get a free quest. Now that doesn't seem like much, but you can also buy a better loyalty card that fills up after only 6 quests instead of 10.

On top of that, every time you spend actual money, we keep track of it and put it towards Patron Mode. Patron Mode does exactly what you want it to do - removes the energy mechanic completely. Instead, whenever you complete your loyalty card, you get Gems. Also, the achievement for unlocking Patron Mode is worth 50 Gems on its own.

Man, we really need to call out Patron Mode a bit better...

10. Bulk Paint

iOS 9 should be the baseline - I think it's a requirement of a couple of the plugins we use. Otherwise yes, I can think of no technical reason why it would need to be so high as the basic game itself could run quite happily on lower spec devices.

The game requires no online connection - unless, of course, you want to buy things with real money ;) There's also going to be a Facebook integration coming soon and possibly the ability to bring your friend's mages along on quests with you - both of which would require some degree of connectivity. But it's not mandatory by any stretch.

11. Bulk Paint

More things regarding the energy system -
    • Each quest only ever costs 1 unit of mana regardless of how far into the game you are. There's no inflation at work there at all. The number of quests you can currently afford is shown in a number to the right of the bar.
    • Your mana bar holds 4 and a full loyalty card will give you a bonus mana even if your mana bar is already full - (the number will turn green to indicate a bonus quest)
    • Your mana bar is always charging up - even if you're in a quest. Hell, if you take long enough in the quest, your mana bar will have replenished itself by the time you come back out.
    • Challenge Mode (unlocked at level 10) doesn't use mana at all. Play it as many times as you like as often as you'd like. We might look into lowering the level requirement for this one.

12. Sash-O

Sash-O Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Germany
    #12 Sash-O, Feb 28, 2017

This is the reason why I buy premium games! I just want to "play" a game, not to study the timers, IAP, energy system, care about (bonus) mana, doublers, stamps, loyalty cards, gems & patron mode.

Man this is way too much for me!

But anyways, good luck with it, I'm sure there will be people who like this.

P.S.

I looked up the upcoming games thread and I can understand you guys, you have to live too. But with all the mechanics you put inside, makes me loose interest in a game immediately. Even if it has good gameplay, graphics or whatever. Seems like I'm too oldschool for all that free to play nonsense.

13. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    I am indeed a bit overwhelmed by the number of energy, timer, card, mana, and other regenerative systems we need to manage. Is there a "set" of reasonable IAPs you recommend that a player should buy at the start to make the most out of the earlier missions? For example, I know for sure I will get the coin doubler. What else are the "best" values to get as a starter kit? I think some guidance from you will help a lot to clear up the confusion.

14. Bulk Paint

Well, like we said - we tried it the shareware way and the premium way and both didn't exactly work out. So we're trying F2P instead, but we're doing it 'nicely'. That's why Patron Mode is there - so we can cap people's spending or, at least, make it so that they really don't have to give us any more money - which is the antithesis of F2P.

Try the game, don't worry about the timer.

15. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    how much money is needed for the energy to go away? will the starter pack do it?
    and also, i want to echo the sentiment i fully understand you guys after the previous two games and monetising. But for what little it counts, i would attribute the failures not to the shareware or premium, but to this: extreme nichesation (yeap made it up just now)
    your games not only appeal to a niche crowd (puzzle and rpg) via gameplay, but even then, they get nicheier (yeap) with a very distinctive and risky art style. Any one of our puzzle battle loving tiny crowd that doesnt like one of the two, is immediately going away. So you are left with a very small target audience.
    Good luck regardless, i hope it is apparent that i care through my post and wish you success.

16. Bulk Paint

Right now there are 2 non-consumables - the Alchemist (coin doubler) and the Loyalty Card (reduces number of quests required for a free quest from 10 to 6). Both are available separately or you can get the Starter Pack, which gives you both, works out cheaper and throws in some Materials and Gold as well. It makes sense to pick up the Coin Doubler as soon as you can although, in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't really matter early on. Likewise, you only need to consider the Loyalty Card when you've got 5 quests under your belt. That said, don't worry about losing out on extra stamps - if you've got 6 or more stamps when you buy the better Loyalty Card, it'll keep the extra ones and add them automatically to your next card.

We're looking at other options too - like a resource gatherer that brings you gems, materials and gold each day, or a Patron Pack that insta-unlocks Patron Mode.

Also, it wouldn't be a Glyph Quest game if there wasn't a degree of confusion involved ;)

17. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    #17 y2kmp3, Mar 1, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    This is very good explanation and advice. Thank you. I will purchase those as you recommended.

What do players miss out if they don't purchase this Patron Mode at the start? Does this mode get unlocked with time if players are willing to grind? Are missions locked beyond some point without this mode?

BTW, I certainly sympathize that you must be facing some stressful period during this soft launch. I am glad to see that you are still able to keep a sense of humor in the meantime. I chuckled when I read this: "it wouldn't be a Glyph Quest game if there wasn't a degree of confusion involved". How true! :)

18. Bulk Paint

Nothing. Nada. Zip. Quest unlocks are based on how many quests you've completed - except for Boss Quests which require you to complete all of the 4 other Quests on their island first. None of these are affected by Patron Mode or any other purchase. It's not like the Shareware thing we did before - you can still play through the whole game for free (although it'll probably take a very long time and require a bit of grinding)

ANY purchase you make for real money (Alchemist, Loyalty Card, Starter Pack, Gem packs) will go towards Patron Mode. The only advice I'd give is that if you want both the Alchemist and Loyalty Card, you should definitely get the Starter Pack - it works out cheaper and comes with extra resources.

Our approach to this is to give the player as many options as possible. It's still entirely possible to play the game without spending a penny. If you want to be able to buy lots of in-game items and don't want to go back and grind for gold, you're going to want to have the Alchemist. If you want to be able to play many quests in a session, you'll benefit from having the Loyalty Card.

19. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    How much do you have to spend to unlock Patron Mode and remove the energy bar? That's the only thing I'm interested in with the IAP. I also didn't see that stated in the game so you should probably have some kind of pop up that explains how that works.

20. Bulk Paint

We're still playing with the actual value - that's one of the reasons why we're in soft launch. We were told to think of a number that we would find acceptable and double it, so it feels really high ATM.

We're also about to add a one-off Patron Pack that will unlock it straight up - although the price is still being debated and many have called into question the wisdom of doing this in the first place.

See the problem is that we don't want to trick people into spending tons of money. We're not greedy - when you've given us enough money, we're happy for you to stop giving us money - hence the Patron Mode 'cap' on spending. That's us saying "enough is enough". That, of course, flies in the face of conventional F2P wisdom which relies on the end user being able to spend an unlimited (or, at least, ridiculously high) sum of money to counter the 99% of people who pay absolutely nothing.

I guess it's all a balancing act really and we're still very much finding our way in this.