iPhone Avadon iPad port in the works?

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by simulated, Jan 27, 2011.

1. simulated

simulated Active Member

Aug 11, 2009
    I thought this was interesting..

A little context: Avadon is an upcoming cross-platform (Mac and Win) turn-based indie RPG, created by long-running developer Spiderweb Software (aka Jeff Vogel).

In the dev blog linked to above, he mentions in passing "This will probably be the last developer diary for Avadon: The Black Fortress. We hope to release it for the Macintosh at the end of February. Then the process of porting it to Windows and the iPad shall commence."

Which would be great news for WRPG-loving iPad owners (myself included). Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be anything else about the ipad version on the site. Still, one to keep an eye on. Spiderweb has a long track record with doing both mac and windows releases of their games, so an additional iOS port isn't as unrealistic as it may sound.

2. Jongjungbu

Jongjungbu Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    Reminds me of Temple of Elemental Evil, but not AD&D. Hope he is serious aout the iPad.

3. MacrosTheBlack

MacrosTheBlack Well-Known Member

May 23, 2009
    Illinois
  4. Marcus70

Marcus70 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2010
    Read a few articles saying Avadon: The Black Fortress HD coming this spring. I look forward to this on the ipad :)

5. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    kinda looks like Baldurs Gate... I'm gonna follow this one :)

6. dannythefool

dannythefool Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Germany
    If you just want to know what it's like, you can play the Mac demo: http://spidweb.com/avadon/index.html

Looking forward to the iPad version, will be interesting to see what the UI will be like. The Mac version is playable with the mouse, but the keyboard shortcuts are kinda handy...

7. simulated

simulated Active Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Sounds like the ipad port is progressing, though perhaps not without a bit of stress:

(via http://jeff-vogel.blogspot.com/2011/04/mixed-bag-of-fun.html

8. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Good question, but well I played the whole game with the mouse, at end I perhaps used sometimes the shortcut to pick objects on ground but not that much. So yes it's not perfect with a mouse, with many more shortcuts slots the game would have been more pleasant and comfortable but it works anyway.

I think the problem of this iPad version will be with a problem with the original game. The visibility of items on ground/tables and more, vs the play area size. I'll probably buy this ipad version for curiosity but I think I won't be able play it really because of that.

9. dannythefool

Dec 16, 2010
    Germany
    I'm confident the screen size will work. I've played many Spiderweb games at 1024x768 and 800x600 and the UI hasn't changed that much apart from looking nicer. In fact most of his previous games only used part of the screen for the topdown view and had permanent stats etc. displays on the border.

Btw., the Windows version is out as well now, for the unbelievers among us ;-)

10. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Yes all previous games but Avadon, I have quoted veteran of those games complained about this for Avadon only. In fact the UI has changed a lot with Avernum 6 and then some more with Avadon, and before some Geneforge probably Geneforge 5 but I don't play this series.

Now the games are fullscreen with a non fixed resolution which is a part of the problem and floating UI elements. But also with Avadon all graphics have been redone with all new textures much more nice but also problems to quote items.

11. Mivo

Mivo Well-Known Member

May 10, 2011
    Germany
    I've been waiting for this, and skipped buying the Windows version in anticipation of the iPad release. Jeff mentioned June as the release date, so it should be just a few more weeks. I'm actually a bit concerned about the possible price, but we'll see. (I'll buy it at any price that doesn't exceed the one of the Windows version, but I'd really like to see this become a popular iPad title -- and that won't happen at $20.+)

12. dannythefool

Dec 16, 2010
    Germany
    Newsletter confirms June:
    As for screen size, I have played Avadon on 1024x768 and found no issue. However that may be different when keyboard shortcuts aren't available. I'm still confident it'll work :)

13. jase23

jase23 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2009
    There is nothing available on the App Store like a full-fledged party-based Western rpg, and therefore Avadon or other Spiderweb produced RPGs are going to do a lot better in terms of sales than what Jeff Vogel may be anticipating.

I know that I could just get the PC or Mac version of Avadon, but I kind of prefer the convenience and simplicity and portability of having my video games with me all the time on my iPad, ready to launch quickly.

The key will be the UI for Avadon, no doubt. Can everything, including the various touch controls and options, fit on the 9.7 inch display?