Universal Real Racing 3 by Electronic Arts

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by matthew-13, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Diablohead

Diablohead Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Freelancer, PC game developer
    Nice news to wake up to, instant body repair is nice to have since it still costs you R$ to do so, 5 minute oil change is much better since it runs out so quickly.

Good move Firemonkeys! I know this is only for testing and may not stay but anything is better then how it was.

2. Diablohead

Jan 19, 2009
    It's the hastle of doing so, I use my phone as my main time source while I work in the evenings and also after forwarding a few weeks to skip timers, if I go back to normal the timers will reverse some what.

The new times right now are much better to work around.

3. killy billy

killy billy Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2009
    planet iphone/ipad
    We also can't get too optimistic here!
    Service/repair timers, part delivery and car delivery for the higher tier cars are still wayyyy to long.

4. Kerrby

Kerrby Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Australia
    Yep, instead of 7 hours it's now 3 hours for a repair. No game should take that long to be playable.

5. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Decision time again, should I save for the audi tt coupe or the bmw m3 coupe?

The audi is way cheaper and has better acceleration but the m3 has better handling and tyres...is that enough to warrant a huge cost difference? Also the m3 is a FR while the audi is a f4, what does that mean?

6. racer-007

racer-007 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2013
    At least the damage repairs is instant.

I don't get it, isn't this quite a good thing? No more wait times at all between races? At least now you can race in peace for five races before doing the services, then move on to the next car.

7. Diablohead

Jan 19, 2009
    I agree for the start of the game, the first car should be much quicker overall so keep you hooked, but once you get 3+ cars having to wait an hour for an engine rebuild is 'ok' because you can still skip it or wait an hour and 10 minutes.

I'm all for low times but I do understand that money has to be made here :p

8. hellscaretaker

hellscaretaker Well-Known Member

May 27, 2012
    Im a youtube gamer/streamer
    You MUST of seen some games that have timers of 24 hours ;)
    Speaking of timers wonder if that work BattleNations the move the clock forward

9. #949 wastedyuthe, Feb 15, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
    Let's not also forget that gold coins are earned each time you level up in the game (which is frequent- I'm level 10 on my second day) and those coins can be spent to rid you of repair times if you have no other car to race with.

Ooh, and zero wait time for repairs (not including service) for me now too yay!

10. killy billy

Aug 6, 2009
    planet iphone/ipad
    They will make enough money, even with "normal" timers!

11. racer-007

Feb 15, 2013
    There is no way EA will remove timers as otherwise the secondary currency serves little purpose.

Talking about that, can everyone confirm that when you level up you only get 3 gold coins now?

12. killy billy

Aug 6, 2009
    planet iphone/ipad
    Yup, you get 3 gold coins for each level up, but on level 5,10,15,20,.... You get 5 gold coins!

13. racer-007

Feb 15, 2013
    Used to be 5 and 10 previously.

I am pretty sad about this as my intention was to save and get some good "gold" cars. I never used them to speed up repairs (unless I cliked by accident, lol)

14. killy billy

Aug 6, 2009
    planet iphone/ipad
    Weird, It was always 3 and 5 with me and ive been playing the minute it came out!

15. Diablohead

Jan 19, 2009
    I saved my coins to get the MC12 80 coin car, level 13 right now.

I feel that it's a fair trade to lower coins for shorter timers, I presume that they expected more people to timer skip with the free coins and overestimated it.

16. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Both points are spot on.

What all the ragers seem to have missed is that the people behind this game love games.
    People can rage away on EA all they want, I really couldn't care less as EA is well used to that by now, but Firemonkeys in both their previous incarnations are easily the best developers iOS has been lucky enough to have and commit to the platform.

And one thing Firemint has always been good at (beyond developing great games) is listening to their fans and taking feedback seriously. That ethos is still present in Firemonkeys despite everybody thinking EA is pulling the strings. They are the bosses but they also know well enough to let the experts get on with what their doing.

There's very good reasons this was a soft launch like this and one of the important ones was to see how people interacted with the game as it was, what needed changing and improving.

They've taken very positive steps already now based on the opinion of people actually playing the game and making reasonable points about how it limits their gameplay.

Those that simply rage on about the evils of EA and freemium, lets not fool ourselves and think they were a factor because no matter what they did, or do, those haters are still going to hate. They were well prepared for that particular reaction.

However, those that actually posted or sent in feedback of actual gameplay impressions and waiting times and how it affected their gameplay, actual players, not haters, who expressed in a reasonable and comprehensible way, (as opposed to F EA/Fiemonkeys/Freemium/App Store/Eli/and whatever else they hated) were actually listened to.

Now they do of course still have to make a buck so there are obvious limits to how much they can pull it back, but lets be positive and thankful that we still have a Firemonkeys that is willing to develop the best games possible and listen to their loyal and supportive fan base.

I'm sure I'll flamed to hell now but I for one shall happily continue to support and praise the excellence of Firemonkeys and provide reasonable feedback, irrelevant of all the ragers and haters that are out there that don't seem to understand the basic economic structure of the App Store and the steps you have to take in order to monetize your product.

17. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    same here I just bought it, never knew gold cars even existed lol

18. milnic

milnic Member

Dec 23, 2012
    Here is too many posts with same topic. Which appear again and again.. So, many people don't know this..

Ok, then it was last time. I promise :)

19. krautboy

krautboy Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2011
    #959 krautboy, Feb 15, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
    Up to you ofcourse,but it seems the more expensive the car,the longer the waiting times.
    FR means that the engine is in the front and the drive is on the rear wheels.
    F4 means the engine is in the front and the drive is on 4 wheels.
    If you see an M first it means the engine is in the middle
    If you see an R first it means the engine is in the rear.
    Where you're engine is affects how your car responds. If you would drive an FF car you can easily drag it through a corner with the gas,whereas a FR car would spin if you did the same. The back would break out because the weight is in the front and the drive on the back. An MR car for this reason is mostly the fastest of all but also the hardest to control. Have fun experimenting!

20. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Yep, you're right, it was always either 3 and 5 as a level up reward.
    Never saw a 10 unless some were lucky enough to have a glitch.
    If there was a 5 and a 10 only combined with 1000 levels, that would make a hell of a lot of gold by the time one got there.