★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

David. // A Physics-Based Platforming Bossfighter!

03-26-2014, 04:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermenter View Post
Wowzah, I'm glad I've caught your interest. I like you, guy!

No free and no flash, but be on the lookout for a promo code soon!
Also, I'm not sure my game would benefit from GameCenter, honestly. Although there is an arena mode in which a highscore is kept, this game is meant to be almost completely introverted, with no distractions for outside parties (GameCenter in this case). The PC/Mac version DOES however include an extremely passive 3rd party leaderboard that works well with the flow of the game. Let me know what you think, and if you think David would in fact benefit from GameCenter.
Thanks, kind of going trough a rough patch so I needed that

I know GameCenter is painful (as with the whole Apple submission process) but I think GameCenter enhances every game. It adds a competitive side that makes every game more fun trying to repeat levels over and over until you surpass Roger, or Sink or Swim scores (Matt33 or Andy are out of reach for me). Its a thing we like here on TouchArcade and everywhere else I believe . And if the PC version has it implemented on the game already I think it will be really easy to add it here (except the Apple side of course). Some leaderboards counting time, deaths and score are always very welcome
03-26-2014, 06:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFrost View Post

I know GameCenter is painful (as with the whole Apple submission process) but I think GameCenter enhances every game. It adds a competitive side that makes every game more fun trying to repeat levels over and over until you surpass Roger, or Sink or Swim scores (Matt33 or Andy are out of reach for me). Its a thing we like here on TouchArcade and everywhere else I believe . And if the PC version has it implemented on the game already I think it will be really easy to add it here (except the Apple side of course). Some leaderboards counting time, deaths and score are always very welcome
I could not write it better, thanks.

And just saying, i recently deleted two nice highscore chaser because no Gamecenter was implemented at release (and never came later) and that's why people "forgot" to talk about it. Let people compare their score and they spread the word, hopefully.
Important to have it right from the start, imho.

03-26-2014, 06:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwertz555 View Post

And just saying, i recently deleted two nice highscore chaser because no Gamecenter was implemented at release (and never came later) and that's why people "forgot" to talk about it. Let people compare their score and they spread the word, hopefully.
Yes, agree. The highscoring chasers without GameCenter are always the first to go, always. They lack the competitive side that gives app that extra push for any game, much more for any kind of endless game.
03-26-2014, 07:00 AM
Oh boy, do this look great! Will check this out!!
03-27-2014, 03:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFrost View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwertz555 View Post

Interesting discussion, guys. Well dang, I might have to look more into it then. Even for the single player side of the game, I suppose I could integrate gamecenter with some sort of time-based score. Hmmn!
03-27-2014, 03:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebmat86 View Post
Oh boy, do this look great! Will check this out!!

Thanks for your interest, mate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by samqthegame View Post
Looks really cool, reminds me of some early Sega CD titles that worked a lot with early vector technology.

Best of luck!

Thanks! Although the software I used to build David doesn't actually draw using vectors, I did my best to make it look that way!
03-27-2014, 05:40 PM
Someone posted these impressions on TIGForum and I think they perfectly illustrate why I'm enjoying this game
Quote:
Long story short, I do not regret it.

A mediocre game would have lost my attention by now, but I've every intention of going back to beat what I couldn't before. This is certainly a game that's hard to do justice via images, video, or advertising. It's easy to write off for the "indie metaphorical shapes and minimalism" thing it's got going, but that's really just a vehicle for the gameplay. That last sentence was weird for me to write, but it's true; The gameplay trumps the whole "indie" thing the images reek of.

Perhaps the most crucial aspect that won me over was the tension of lining up shots. In most games, anything that slows down time is basically a cheat that removes tension and allows you to outsmart sub-par AI, but the foes in this game are so fast that it's necessary, and they're so smart + hard to predict that it won't even save you if you put yourself in a bad position. This is especially exemplified in the Arena where you start out with 1 HP, 1 shot, and no mercy, but you can build up from there to become an unstoppable force of pain. Even so, the game forces you to learn yourself before you get hilariously overpowered, and it still doesn't make the bosses on Very any easier.

I couldn't find any overt flaws worth mentioning, but there were a couple of wrinkles. The Flee encounter on Very using WASD is a small nightmare, but the game supports a 360 pad which allows for more sensitive movement via the left stick. The right stick controls the mouse, but using it for that is hilariously difficult and not very fruitful. The solution? Hold the 360 pad in your left hand, and use your mouse with the right hand! It's incredibly bizarre, but for this game it makes you a glorious god gamer of immaculate skill that allows you to beat Flee on Very with ease. It'd be easy (and tempting!) to tell somebody to git gud and just tough it out, but with such a better option at my disposal I'm simply not going back. If Fermenter is okay with this then call it a day, but it's something worth finding a more viable solution to / setup for.

Finally, there's the issue of price. It's not that it's too high, but rather it's likely so low that people won't feel it's worth bothering with. I asked for a demo specifically for this reason; I didn't want to throw down my card info for something that runs a measly dollar. Perhaps on a mobile device it would be different, but PC games at the dollar price point are often considered shovelware. This game is decidedly not, and it does not deserve to be in this category, so I would make an effort to combat this notion however one can.

Overall, a pleasant surprise. I'm keeping tabs on this!
As for me, I finally tried the arena and it's really cool. You earn points to upgrade your weapon, health, and armor, and each wave brings more and bigger enemies. Gets very challenging
03-27-2014, 06:19 PM
I'm such a tool, just came across this thread, I just saw the out now but so went off searching the pp store for it, div that I am, I shoukd read properly and I'd have seen it's out on PC now not iOS.

I've got something to look forward too now. Agree with others about gamecentre, I used to think it wasn't important and usually to me it's not but in games where highscores play a big part it's essential in my opinion, and gets people talking about the game more as they brag about who is the best.
03-27-2014, 09:09 PM
Quote:

Thanks for your interest, mate!

Thanks! Although the software I used to build David doesn't actually draw using vectors, I did my best to make it look that way!
Game looks really cool, will keep my eyes on this one for sure.
03-28-2014, 05:47 AM
Quote:
Interesting discussion, guys. Well dang, I might have to look more into it then. Even for the single player side of the game, I suppose I could integrate gamecenter with some sort of time-based score. Hmmn!
Awesome! And I played it on PC and we are in for treat. Love all those doors leading you to monsters and the look, it is a kind of beauty impossible to describe in words or pictures. Oh, we are in for a treat with the iOS version