★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

[BETA!] Blocky Farm - voxel-styled farm manager made with love <3

11-14-2015, 12:56 PM
Update #8 - Daily quests, watering system, changing animal names & bonus gifs

Past week was full of hard work for us. We have for you some big features and great bonus gifs. We hope you will like it.

Daily quests
Our goal in Blocky Farm is to engage user as much as possible. That why we designed three main layers of engagement:
First layer - Product orders with delivery truck - small orders for some products. Very easy to complete.
Second layer - Daily quests - a little bigger tasks to do: feeding animals, buying decorations, collecting products, doing other things. Playing game in general.
Third layer - Achievements - big tasks to do that will take many days to unlock.

So this week we almost finished daily tasks system. Quests are generated procedurally and for now there is more than one hundred combinations of unique tasks. There will be up to 3 available daily tasks at one time. New quests will appear every 24 hours.

Watering system
We were improving field building and crops gathering process. Thus we created well and whole watering system with usage of water buckets. It will be possible to water fields one time in the whole growth process. This will simply fasten crops production. But remember, well will have limited capacity.

Changing animal names
There will be also an ability to change animalís name.

Bonus
We have a small gift for you: bonus gifs from the development process.

One of mocked ideas: magical water bucket.

Donít mess with our dog.

Links
Twitter | Tumblr | Facebook
11-14-2015, 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by applicattura View Post
I'm getting jelous because of your hard working Every update it's getting much better, with such a huge working speed it will be ready soon
Thank you for your kind words! As far as I remember, your Don't Sink game is great too. I encourage you to take a look on the #8 devlog update

11-18-2015, 09:41 AM
I've almost missed the update, but now I subscribed the thread so it won't happen again :-D You took a huge project and I hope that you will end it and release some good farm manager :-) I can't wait when I see it with a final graphic and play with the dog

I guess that you will release beta so don't forget about me, I would like to be a part of this game :-)
11-18-2015, 12:57 PM
Update #9 - Mine, tool factory, gifts and refactoring

General code refactoring was planned for this week. Despite this we are still implementing features. Not so fast as in the previous weeks, but it still something.

Mine
There will be a special building in Blocky Farm - Mine. Player will be able to use tools (for example shovel, dynamite) to get ores (iron, carbon, even gold). Moreover it will be possible to send our horse with trolleys to the mine in the future. The horse will get treasures for us even when we won’t be playing the game.

Tool factory
This is a building that produces tools from ores. Different tools will be useful for different things. For example: user will be able to remove swamp obstacle with shovel or to dig into the mine to get more ores.

Gifts
Treasure chests was replaced with gift boxes. The main difference is that gift boxes will contain only one random item. We will transform treasure chest into more powerful item in the future.

Refactoring
Clean code is as important as a functionality for us. That is why we do some refactoring this week. It is true that clean code makes development faster and we want to do our best to maintain it.

Links
11-20-2015, 01:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by applicattura View Post
I've almost missed the update, but now I subscribed the thread so it won't happen again :-D You took a huge project and I hope that you will end it and release some good farm manager :-) I can't wait when I see it with a final graphic and play with the dog

I guess that you will release beta so don't forget about me, I would like to be a part of this game :-)
Thanks for following us!
Yes, we took a huge project. Of course initially the game idea was a lot smaller, but our projects scope evolved too much. And we feel good with it.
Thanks for your kind words and we will definitely remember about you after beta tests.
11-20-2015, 01:59 PM
#0 - Development start

-=-=-=-= POST FOR ARCHIVAL PURPOSES ONLY =-=-=-=-

Current state of the game
We implemented some game mechanisms so far but please take into consideration that WE ARE USING MOCKUP GRAPHICS:
First of all we created some voxel models:

Then:
Performance benchmark

Animals and building construction - first look

New building construction and animal assignment

Basic animal production

Animal state and info window

Farm happiness and experience level

Silo & warehouse.

Wheat field
11-21-2015, 09:29 AM
Update #10 - Treasure chests and first renders!

Hi there.
This week was full of code refactoring and bug fixing but we were able to implement one new feature. This #10 devlog update is our small jubilee, so we have something special for you!

Treasure chests as a premium item
After a long analysis and brainstorm process we decided to make treasure chests as a premium item. Chests can be obtained as a reward from daily tasks or for a small amount of money. Every chest will contain from 3 to 5 common items and from 1 to 2 rare, special items. More details will determine at the end of the development process.

First official graphics renders!

Scarecrows

Apples

Trunks

How do you like it? We would be thankful for your feedback!

11-26-2015, 12:45 PM
Update #11 - Game parameters, rebuilt shop & products collection HUD animation

Hello there everyone. We have some interesting features for you today. Just take a look:

Loading game parameters from remote bundles
The ability to load game parameters remotely is very important for us. It will allow us to balance key values without official updates. The flow of the process is to set proper value in our Google Sheet with parameters, then export it to JSON, generate Unity Asset Bundle with this data and put it on our server. Then game will try to download everytime someone will start to play. In case of no internet connection, locally saved data will be used.

Shop items with minimal farm level
Thanks to the previous feature we were able to add minimal farm level necessary to construct every building. It will help us to balance the game. After every farm level, player will get access to new buildings, etc. So now every item has one of three possible statuses:
  1. unlocked
  2. available to unlock but not unlocked
  3. not available to unlock
Just look at the gif:

Products collection & HUD animation
Item collecting process has now its dedicated interface animation. Just like that:

New renders
Barbecue Grill
One of the production facilities in Blocky Farm is a Barbecue Grill. It will allow us to produce some tasty food. There are 3 levels of development below:

Mill
On this render you can see a Mill and its three levels of development. Player will be able to produce food for animals.

Thanks for following us and see you this Saturday!

Links
11-28-2015, 07:46 AM
I was off for a week but I see that you were hard working Renders are great, the whole farm may look fantastic! Would love to see render of your dog :-D
11-28-2015, 02:13 PM
Update #12 - Loading screen, shaking trees, moving decorations and buildings

Hello everyone, here you have episode 12. of Blocky Farm devlog. Have a nice read!

Game loading screen
After remote game parameters implementation it was high time to add a game loading scene. It is as simple as that: game logo (donít worry - it is just a temporary placeholder ), some game hints and smooth progress bar animation.

Shaking fruit trees
You can remember that there are some kinds of fruit orchards in Blocky Farm. Every tree gives a fruit after finished production but it requires playerís interaction to collect. It needs just a single tap on the tree to shake it and dump the fruit on the ground. Then fruit is automatically collected to the barn.

Highlight decoration slots
Decoration slots is a great feature but now it is easier to find free slot for your decoration. Just look on the gif:

Moving buildings to other slots
We implemented this feature to give a player some freedom in placing buildings on the map. Of course every decoration will be moved with building too. As you can see, it works fine.

Renders
As always we have some nice renders for you: wheat, carrot and sugarcane fields on 3 levels of growth.

Wheat field

Carrot field

Sugarcane field

Links