★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
03-22-2017, 04:44 PM
Ignore the first part of the TA blurb. Card upgrading is a liminal mechanic that only comes into play on a limited number of occasions, as a tutorial and single player story mechanic. It has no effect on regular and competitive play, as non-upgraded cards make no further appearances (can't be crafted, will not appear in packs), and the upgraded versions of the card *are* the regular play versions (and branching upgrades are considered two entirely different cards).

There is no card upgrades during matches, no timers when you do upgrade, and upgrades have absolutely no impact on the meta.

What Legends is, is not the next coming of the digital CCG, but the finest evolution of the Hearthstone paradigm to date. It goes further in permutations to established mechanics and provides greater mechanical width and depth than both its daddy, or any of its other spawn. Card mechanics are more intricate and their wider implications are less apparent, TESL's design space is wider, and as a result strategies, combos and decks are more sophisticated. There is more room for skill and strategy, but also greater requirements for both. Lanes and runes change the flow of the game more than I first imagined, and now I can't play without them (games of Eternal, Hearthstone and the likes feel weird and incomplete, like a vital part of gameplay is missing).

It's made by a dev team who are refreshingly responsive, happy to communicate frequently with the player base, and quick to re-balance problematic or dominant synergies, with the express intention of keeping the meta fresh, varied, competitive and dynamic. There is an explicit ambition to limit RNG (though Dire Wolf/Bethesda could be even more ambitious in this regard). The game is also quite generous with gold and cards. On top of this, it offers the most comprehensive solo experience (next to Dire Wolf's other title, Eternal) I've found in a digital CCG, making solo grind to build your collection and practice the mechanics entirely viable. It draws upon the jumbled but immersive, stupidly detailed mass of lore of the Elder Scrolls setting, and goes as far in establishing atmosphere and immersion as a competitive card game can without becoming blatantly ridiculous (it's fairly ridiculous).

Also, face is NOT always the place.

The Elder Scrolls subreddit is really the place to be. But when you aren't, here are a few useful links:

Legend-decks, for all your netdecking needs.

Just about everything Reddit considers important for new players.

Justin Larson and CVH, a video content creator and a streamer you could and perhaps should be streaming right now.

Between the Lanes (and don't miss out on CVH's arena tier list), the dominant site for meta analysis and in-depth guides both sides of the subreddit.

Here are a few posts of mine back from the soft launch thread that might be of interest to new players:

Early impressions in the form of a rambling review

On the splendidness of solo arena, and the lonely people who play it

Offline functionality - the lack thereof - and why this might still be ok

Story expansion, what to buy, bits and pieces

And yep, iPhone support is ahead. June. The first major story and card expansion - the Fall of the Dark Brotherhood - arrives on the 4th of April. Yep, any new cards can always be attained in-game somehow, through soul summoning or by grinding enough gold to buy the expansion from the store. No non-cosmetic content gated behind real money purchases. And yes, you can be competitive (as in, among the world top 100, or even the top 10) as a f2p player.

And feel free to really, really pester me with questions. I'm invested. Almost embarrassingly so. I enjoy discussing Legends like few games before it. Against so much better judgement I'm a frequent Redditor in the TESL subreddit, watcher of streams aplenty, browser of decks esoteric and reader of many an absurdly detailed meta review article. I'll gladly gateway that stuff in your direction.

Vocalist of Neverlast
Game Center/OpenFeint/Plus+/[insert arbitrary game network, online character or multiplayer account here]: Ayjona

Last edited by Ayjona; 03-22-2017 at 05:52 PM.
03-22-2017, 08:09 PM
Well according to this post it's also for Iphone

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpo...0&postcount=22

but not seeing it, i do see it for the ipad

03-22-2017, 08:24 PM
Worldwide? Don't even see it in HK Store...

The Unofficial Touch Arcade's Captain Slow(TM)

Honestly, I was never terribly good at games. - Finch (PoI S2E16)
03-22-2017, 08:32 PM
This game is excellent. There's a chance it might replace Hearthstone for me for a while. I love the occasionally card level choice and the additional levels of strategy over Hearthstone, imho. I am an avid fan of hearthstone, not meant to diminish it it any way. This game is excellent.
03-22-2017, 09:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmike3 View Post
This game is excellent. There's a chance it might replace Hearthstone for me for a while. I love the occasionally card level choice and the additional levels of strategy over Hearthstone, imho. I am an avid fan of hearthstone, not meant to diminish it it any way. This game is excellent.
Yes this game sooooo good. I'm a little surprise it hasn't gotten much notice. I know Hearthstone is the premier card game... but this game is pretty close
03-22-2017, 10:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blebhertz View Post
Yes this game sooooo good. I'm a little surprise it hasn't gotten much notice. I know Hearthstone is the premier card game... but this game is pretty close
It might be better. * runs away
03-22-2017, 10:01 PM
It would get more notice if it wasn't iPad only
JS
03-23-2017, 03:41 AM
Already downloaded, gonna play it later
03-23-2017, 04:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blebhertz View Post
I know Hearthstone is the premier card game... but this game is pretty close
I would say Legends is far beyond Hearthstone in everything but card variety (which is mostly proportional to the age of the game and hard for a new CCG to compete with). Depending on your taste in presentation, HS might also be graphically more appealing (a common sentiment, though I don't share it).

But in the somewhat less subjective and *slightly* more quantifiable, such as mechanical variety, flexibility and sophistication*, design space elbow room and scope, developer attention and responsivity, balancing work and a resulting fresh and varied meta (even the top players can't agree if aggro, control, midrange, combo or tempo dominates the ladder at any given moment. It's wonderful), requirements and rewards for skill (the former not always an advantage for some gamers), deck building variety and possibilities, single player and story modes, and f2p viability/card access/more generous rewards, Legends occupies a very different space.

* The lanes and runes alone create an entirely different flow and offer many more tactical priorities than mostly removing big threats and otherwise going face. More than what was first apparent to me, and now I find it hard to play CCGs without them.

(This is not really that surprising or hard to believe, all the design chops and money behind Hearthstone notwithstanding. Hearthstone is explicitly not balanced for competitive play - thus Blizzard's adherence to RNG - and aimed at the largest possible segment of users.

Legends is still broad in appeal - I would have liked even less RNG and even more byzantine mechanics - but targeted specifically at the more dedicated end of the casual CCG spectrum as well as the entirety of the hardcore base, competitive players, and those who seek refuge from HS' RNG. And my own sad band of misfits - artifacts of the golden age of nedlessly complex TCG design, who want some Magic/Netrunner/L5R/etc in our digital card games to convince ourselves it was not all in vain, but who enjoy short matches and easily accessible gameplay more than we could ever admit in the face of the digital rebirth of our lost hobby.)

Even the aestethics consciously reflex this, in their more "mature" character.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pka4916 View Post
Well according to this post it's also for Iphone

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpo...0&postcount=22
No, that post only says it WILL be available for phones Which it will be, early summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrycupcake View Post
jesus christ! i wish a dedicated player like you would also THAT into elderscroll online
Funny thing, my Legends-inspired renewed interest in TES lore and reports of improvements from ESO Unlimited and One Tamriel just convinced me to create my first ESO character since beta...

Vocalist of Neverlast
Game Center/OpenFeint/Plus+/[insert arbitrary game network, online character or multiplayer account here]: Ayjona

Last edited by Ayjona; 03-23-2017 at 05:13 AM.
03-23-2017, 06:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggus View Post
Bleh cards should fit into the pocket, the way a phone fits into the pocket.
Oh my. This is the best logic I've ever seen on this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggus View Post
Until this game is universal it's invisible.
Bleh for you Bleh

"I seriously don't understand the whole burying your head in the sand thing and insisting that jailbreaking doesn't have anything to do with piracy." - Eli