The June 2017 RPG Reload Play-Along: Final Fantasy 5

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Shaun Musgrave, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Hello, gentle readers, and welcome to the RPG Reload Play-Along. Each month, we'll be playing an iOS RPG together, sharing laughs and tears in equal measures. The post on the front page is basically here to announce the game in question and give a few tips on getting started. The real action will be happening here in the TouchArcade forums, where you'll find a thread dedicated to each month's featured game. Sign up if you haven't already, post your screenshots, ask for advice, or just chat about your misadventures with others. We've got a great community of RPG fans here at TouchArcade, so let's make the most of it! As a little incentive, at the end of each month, I will randomly pick one of the participants and send them something small and silly from here in Japan. All you have to do to be eligible is, well, play along with the Play-Along!

Well, Reloaders, we've got a little bit of a fuzzy pickle this month. The featured game is one of my very favorites, Final Fantasy 5. I chose it for June to coincide with the annual Final Fantasy 5 Four Job Fiesta so that anyone who wanted to try the special rules could do that. One little problem, though. The pre-registration for the Four Job Fiesta started today, but the actual Fiesta doesn't get going until partway through June. Uh-oh! If you're playing the game the normal way, no worries. But if you want the tasty zest that comes with the Four Job Fiesta rules, you'll either have to start late or get creative.

In case you aren't familiar with it, the Four Job Fiesta is a charity event that challenges players to go through the game with a randomized set of jobs. It's probably not the best way to play Final Fantasy 5 if it's your first time, but those taking a return trip will likely appreciate the challenge. In Final Fantasy 5, you unlock new sets of jobs at certain points in the game. Ordinarily you can mix and match these jobs, and their abilities, as you see fit. The idea is to match your party to whatever the situation calls for, or just to play the game in the way that is most fun for you. The Four Job Fiesta assigns you one job at each point in the game, giving you a total of four when all is said and done. You can use any learned abilities from those jobs with the other jobs available to you, but you must have at least one of each job type in your party at once.

For example, if you pull the Knight from the first set of jobs, you must then switch to four Knights. Suppose you get a Time Mage next. You can have one Knight and three Time Mages, three Knights and one Time Mage, or two of each. Characters can switch jobs at any time, so long as you adhere to the "one of each" rule. The idea behind these rules is to force the player to consider new strategic options. The game is technically winnable with any combination of four jobs, but some of them are certainly more difficult than others. The mobile version of the game has some differences that make it even tougher in parts, depending on your party. Still, it's always possible.

If you want to play these rules for this Play-Along, you have a choice to make. You can wait for the official site and get started very late. The official event kicks off on June 19th, so you might find it to be a bit of a pinch. The game is about 30 hours long, and that's if you're fairly quick about things. If you want to adhere to the Play-Along schedule and play Four Job Fiesta rules, you can get a set of jobs from this unaffiliated site. Personally, I'm going to wait, but it's up to you. Just remember, you don't actually have to finish the game before the end of June. And I promise, July's game is fairly short by comparison. If you choose to wait, you can at least start the game and play as far as the Wind Shrine. That's the point where the first job comes into play.

2. RHess00

RHess00 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    This is the only FF out of the first 10 that I haven't played. The job system FF games have always been my least favorite. I like clearly defined characters better I guess. However, the Four Job Fiesta sounds interesting to me. I won't have to worry about customizing characters or try to figure out which jobs go with which situation if I'm forced to use the jobs I'm assigned. I was going to take this month off but now I'm not sure.

3. falcon815

falcon815 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    When I remembered that the Fiesta was in June, I figured this would be the pick over FFT. It's a bit shorter (typically), and I remembered a while back when Shaun and Eric did a Reload podcast on FFV (and discussed the Fiesta too, of course). I've never done the Fiesta, so I think I'll try it this year now that I'm actively using a Twitter account. The timing's a little weird for me, since I'll be at an intensive work training program from the 19th through the 23rd and I'm not sure how my Internet access will be then. But I'm leaning toward waiting for the Fiesta.

I've played FFV 3 times, so it's pretty familiar to me. Never done any 'challenge' games like I used to do with FFT, though. Looking forward to it.

4. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Yeah, Fiesta rules can certainly help those who suffer from choice paralysis. It can be tough in places but having seen your skills in previous Play-Alongs, I'm sure you'll do fine. Plus, this is my favorite Final Fantasy game! You have to play it!

5. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    Ok. You talked me into it. I saw on the website that jobs are being voted on. Does that mean everyone gets the same 4 jobs or are they random for each player?

6. Dr.Traveler

Dr.Traveler Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Of the first six Final Fantasy games this is and III are the only ones I haven't played, so I'm excited about this. I've been jumping about since the Final Fantasy I play along and playing through the other games, but now it's time for FFV.

I likely won't do the Fiesta as it's my first go at FFV and I really want to explore the jobs.

Here we go...

7. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    great choice! will start mine up asap

8. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Random for each player. The vote is for the party of whoever is doing the kick-off Run this year. Usually people try to saddle that person with the worst possible party, haha.

9. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    What always gets me with this one is how the animation of the characters in the dialogue box looks almost nothing like the characters especially Bartz. Is there a reason for this that I'm missing doesn't really bother me it's just odd. Already 30 mins in yay

10. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    Ok I get it now. Sounds fun. I don't do social media so I don't have a Twitter account but I guess I'll make one just for this. I'm going to wait until the official kick off so I can catch up on some Switch games.

11. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    III is very good you def want to play that one soon!

12. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    The answer is simple: the concept art used in the dialogue boxes was done by Yoshitaka Amano, a well-known artist who was the main character designer for Final Fantasy 1-6. They are the original character designs, but they didn't translate well to low-res pixel art.

So another artist, Kazuko Shibuya, was given the job of interpreting Amano's art into something that worked in little sprites with limited color palettes. Her work became somewhat iconic and emblematic of the series, so there's a lot of nostalgia for her particular style as well.

The problem is, as you have noted, that as the sprites get more defined, they look less and less like Amano's art. At the same time, his art is legendary, so Square wants to use it. So you get this disconnect, particularly from Westerners who received little exposure to Amano's art until a decade or more after the fact. Really, the most exposure Western players would have had was the character portraits in the status screen, and even those were usually adjusted as much as possible to resemble in-game sprites (see: Terra's green hair). So it seems weird to see Amano's art in a pure form next to the in-game art, even though it has always been there.

13. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    Thanks Shaun for that info

My starting jobs
    Bartz freelance
    Lenna blue Mage
    Galuf monk
    Faris black mage
    Strange starting group but I wanted to go at it like that
    I will be alright without White mage I will just stock up on tons of potions at least hoping that pans out for now ha plus I plan on switching lenna between white and blue

14. borb86

borb86 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2012
    My FF experience really started in the PS1 days so I may jump on this one. $21 CDN though #

15. Milotorou

Milotorou Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    You sure picking this game was a good idea considering a lot of us will be doing the FFV Job Fiesta later this month ?

Maybe that couldve been July's game ?

Ill be doing the fiesta so ill share my progress here once it starts #

16. Mariko

Mariko Well-Known Member

May 19, 2016
    It's great to see I'm not alone in my love of FF5! To me, this is where everything pretty much came together, particularly the job system. Usually when I mention my love for it, I'm either met with weird looks, or weird comments.

17. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Yeah, the timing definitely was off. I should have checked with Eric Koziol beforehand. On the other hand, if it were set as July's game, people would have had to wait on starting the Fiesta for 11 days or something. I may just extend this one through two months. The game is certainly long enough.

18. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    #18 Dailon80, Jun 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    Oh well on the fiesta I'm already in too deep haha
    Back at it again this morning
    I'm just over 2 and a half hours in
    About to go to torna canal all characters level 9
    I did just learn vampire with my blue mage too
    I'm thinking I'm leveled up enough so here goes

19. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    Siren didn't stand a chance :)

20. Milotorou

Milotorou Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    I think thats a great idea, as you said the game surely is long enough, especially for people doing it for the first time.

It will personally be my 2nd time and the first time doing the fiesta... and the last time I finished this game was in 2008 or something... so my memory's gonna have to work a bit !