★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

The June 2017 RPG Reload Play-Along: Final Fantasy 5

06-01-2017, 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Traveler View Post
Of the first six Final Fantasy games this is and III are the only ones I haven't played, so I'm excited about this. I've been jumping about since the Final Fantasy I play along and playing through the other games, but now it's time for FFV.

I likely won't do the Fiesta as it's my first go at FFV and I really want to explore the jobs.

Here we go...
III is very good you def want to play that one soon!
06-01-2017, 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dailon80 View Post
What always gets me with this one is how the animation of the characters in the dialogue box looks almost nothing like the characters especially Bartz. Is there a reason for this that I'm missing doesn't really bother me it's just odd. Already 30 mins in yay
The answer is simple: the concept art used in the dialogue boxes was done by Yoshitaka Amano, a well-known artist who was the main character designer for Final Fantasy 1-6. They are the original character designs, but they didn't translate well to low-res pixel art.

So another artist, Kazuko Shibuya, was given the job of interpreting Amano's art into something that worked in little sprites with limited color palettes. Her work became somewhat iconic and emblematic of the series, so there's a lot of nostalgia for her particular style as well.

The problem is, as you have noted, that as the sprites get more defined, they look less and less like Amano's art. At the same time, his art is legendary, so Square wants to use it. So you get this disconnect, particularly from Westerners who received little exposure to Amano's art until a decade or more after the fact. Really, the most exposure Western players would have had was the character portraits in the status screen, and even those were usually adjusted as much as possible to resemble in-game sprites (see: Terra's green hair). So it seems weird to see Amano's art in a pure form next to the in-game art, even though it has always been there.

06-01-2017, 07:30 PM
Thanks Shaun for that info

My starting jobs
Bartz freelance
Lenna blue Mage
Galuf monk
Faris black mage
Strange starting group but I wanted to go at it like that
I will be alright without White mage I will just stock up on tons of potions at least hoping that pans out for now ha plus I plan on switching lenna between white and blue
06-01-2017, 07:57 PM
My FF experience really started in the PS1 days so I may jump on this one. $21 CDN though 😪
06-01-2017, 09:47 PM
You sure picking this game was a good idea considering a lot of us will be doing the FFV Job Fiesta later this month ?

Maybe that couldve been July's game ?

Ill be doing the fiesta so ill share my progress here once it starts 😊
06-01-2017, 10:22 PM
It's great to see I'm not alone in my love of FF5! To me, this is where everything pretty much came together, particularly the job system. Usually when I mention my love for it, I'm either met with weird looks, or weird comments.
06-01-2017, 11:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milotorou View Post
You sure picking this game was a good idea considering a lot of us will be doing the FFV Job Fiesta later this month ?

Maybe that couldve been July's game ?

Ill be doing the fiesta so ill share my progress here once it starts 😊
Yeah, the timing definitely was off. I should have checked with Eric Koziol beforehand. On the other hand, if it were set as July's game, people would have had to wait on starting the Fiesta for 11 days or something. I may just extend this one through two months. The game is certainly long enough.
06-02-2017, 06:39 AM
Oh well on the fiesta I'm already in too deep haha
Back at it again this morning
I'm just over 2 and a half hours in
About to go to torna canal all characters level 9
I did just learn vampire with my blue mage too
I'm thinking I'm leveled up enough so here goes

Last edited by Dailon80; 06-02-2017 at 07:05 AM.
06-02-2017, 07:39 AM
Siren didn't stand a chance
06-02-2017, 08:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Musgrave View Post
Yeah, the timing definitely was off. I should have checked with Eric Koziol beforehand. On the other hand, if it were set as July's game, people would have had to wait on starting the Fiesta for 11 days or something. I may just extend this one through two months. The game is certainly long enough.
I think thats a great idea, as you said the game surely is long enough, especially for people doing it for the first time.

It will personally be my 2nd time and the first time doing the fiesta... and the last time I finished this game was in 2008 or something... so my memory's gonna have to work a bit !