Do the games that entertain us really make profit?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by linuslim, Jan 1, 2010.

1. linuslim

linuslim Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2009
    just wonder with so many games in appstore that entertain us numerous hours of gameplay, do they really bring the developers profit to keep them going to bring more games to us?

i wonder are there any developers that bring good game title decided not to design games anymore because of poor sales. just curious

2. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    what do you think bud?

3. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    They work for fried chicken and beer iirc. :rolleyes:

4. starmonkey101

starmonkey101 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
    #4 starmonkey101, Jan 1, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
    thats a good question! i have always wondered that

they spent months and months developing a game for the iphone only to have it

1. not be good and collect dust or just not get out to the public even if it is a good game
    2. be one like a "one hit wonder" (doodle jump, iblast moki, spider)
    3. be from a company (ie, gameloft, EA) and have every one buy it just cuz its from a big name developer

unless you are one of those lucky few "one hit wonders", i really dont see how you make THAT much money from games... apple takes a 30% share of every purchase on the appstore too... so you only get 70% of what u make :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

5. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

Doodle jump is NOT a one hit wonder. It has been in the top 50 since release!

6. linuslim

Oct 12, 2009
    so far not much news on sales of games. and i see a lot of cases where games are reduced in price within a week after they released.

this shows poor sales perhaps??

7. starmonkey101

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
    yes it is a one hit wonder!!! what other great games has lima sky developed? (rhetorical question by the way!)

8. linuslim

Oct 12, 2009
    i am interested to know the profit of doodle jump. i personally this is a good example to motivate others to do games.

9. linuslim

Oct 12, 2009
  10. starmonkey101

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
    #10 starmonkey101, Jan 2, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
    trust me, there are plenty of people that develop games... however, there are not enough people to develop original games. most devs just expand on other genres. look a line-drawing for example. started with flight control, and from there, there have been more than 100 "copy-cats" (if i may) these do not make an original concept, but they expand and improve (although not often) on a particular thing. and to this day, flight control remains the best and the top selling line-drawing game in the appstore. we dont need more devs, we need more originality. spider is a great example. along with minisquadron, jet car stunts, and labyrinth

zombiville usa is another example of an original game. how many side scrolling shooters are now in the app store? a ton. and how many have succeeded zombiville as the most profitable side-scroller? none. although many may be better and more involved (ie, inkvaders is more captivating), zombiville continues to dominate the charts

~star

11. starmonkey101

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
  12. starmonkey101

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
    it may...

13. linuslim

Oct 12, 2009
    not sure if should call it clone or copycats. that is how the ecosystem of games works. a success of a game genre does not stop at the first game. as game genre evolves we should also see interesting titles. i see a lot of good titles that evolves from original games and see values in them.

14. starmonkey101

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
    personally, i want to get involved in developing and coding because i have a great, original idea. however, i have no experience in development and coding and im pretty much starting from scratch in books and with lessons. maybe in a year or two, you will see my game in the app store. lol... :p:p:p

15. starmonkey101

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
    we should see game genres evolve and replace the older games in that particular genre... however, that is not how the app store works. people stick with one game, pass it on to others because it is the classic and that game stays at the top of the charts. as i had said already, although may successors may be better, it doesn't necessarily mean that they will succeed the original. :rolleyes:

16. starmonkey101

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
    #16 starmonkey101, Jan 2, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
    you may see some good titles that evolve from the original, but the original always sells more and stays higher in the charts. the devs of the "copy-cat" (sorry) game doesnt realize this and doesnt get as much profit as expected.

ok, let me give you another example

take flight control and 33rd division. 33rd division is more complex, there are more features and there are powerups and many maps and its clearly more captivating (IMHO and probably in many others) however, flight control was the first and therefore it will remain superior in sales.

17. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    No it's not. There are only 130,000 apps and it's happened multiple times. More like one in 6,500.....if you wanted to talk literally.

18. starmonkey101

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
    ok sorry

19. starmonkey101

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
    this thread has got me babbling haha... anyone have any imput? id really like to see if anyone agrees/disagrees with me :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

20. starmonkey101

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
    anybody? guess not...

how bout u, moderators? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: