Top 3 RPG games for iPhone

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by timedblades, Nov 18, 2013.

1. timedblades

timedblades Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2012
    There are a ton of RPG games out there that are available for the iPhone and tablet devices. However, a lot of them aren't worth purchasing, and if they're free, some of them aren't even worth the time it takes to download.

That being said, I'm going to put a list together of what I consider to be the top 3 best RPG games for the iPhone. Some of the games on this list may seem to be a bit off, but I promise you that these games are worth the download.

Please feel free to respond to this topic and list what games you would include on your top 3 list.

Dragon Slayers - Epic RPG

https://itunes.apple.com/app/dragon-slayers./id719396885?ign-mpt=uo%3D5

This game just went FREE on the app store as part of a black friday promotion the company is running. Therefore, I HIGHLY suggest you download this game immediately, before it jumps back up in price. You will certainly kick yourself if you miss out on this game.

Infinity Blade II

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/infinity-blade-ii/id447689011

If you want an RPG game that offers beautiful graphics, you'll fall in love with this game. In my opinion, this game has top of the line graphics. This is just one of those games that you love to just gaze at while you're playing it. The graphics will blow you away.

Chaos Rings II

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/chaos-rings-ii/id495153860

Chances are, you'll look at the price tag associated with this game and there's no way you'll even consider purchasing it, but you'll definitely be missing out. This game has wonderful graphics and they're right up there with Infinity Blade II. However, Chaos Rings has an awesome story and characters to go along with the absolutely amazing graphics. If you're serious when it comes to playing RPG games, you don't want to miss out on this one.

2. iSupah

iSupah Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Nice list bud.

3. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    Oceanhorn
    The world ends with you
    FFIV

4. SherlockEB

SherlockEB Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 22, 2013
    #4 SherlockEB, Nov 19, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
    Oceanhorn
    Ff3
    CHAOS RINGS Ω

5. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Alphadia II
    Avernum: Escape from the Pit

6. Appvism

Appvism Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2013
    UK
    I personally don't consider IB2 to be a rpg... though Dragon Slayers looks interesting, thanks for the tip! :)

Cheers,

7. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #7 undeadcow, Nov 19, 2013
    Kingturn Underworld
    Fall of Angels
    Final Fantasy Dimensions

Honorable Mentions: The Quest, Cavern, WarlordRevival, King of Dragon Pass, Dragon Knight IV, Knights of Phantom Castle

Edit: ...also WazHack and Mission Europa.
    Edit2: ...and Nameless: The Hackers

8. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    #8 bigred447uk, Nov 19, 2013
    1/ Kingturn Underworld
    2/ Mission Europa Collectors Edition
    3/ Fall of Angels

Honourable mentions : Aralon. Wazhack. The Quest Gold. Gurk III. Final Fantasy Dimensions. Cavern. Oceanhorn. (I'm counting SRPG and Roguelike so I don't see why the best Action Adventure shouldn't make the cut !)

9. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Hard to narrow it to three. Thought instead of listing my own top three, I'd throw out a few that are near the top that haven't been mentioned yet (and many of those already mentioned may be in my top three).

So struggling to narrow it down, here's a few favorites not yet mentioned:

Fantasy Chronicle - Yes, I know many think Kemco's RPGs are bland, but this one was top notch, polished and I think think easily their best of all of their releases to date.

Ash - the second one kind of blew and never has been finished but the first one had some of the best writing of any RPG on iOS

Doom & Destiny - a fun and often funny semi-parody that's a great RPG in it's own right.

Stone of Life - probably the best KRPG on iOS

Also, it's a port, but would put The Bard's Tale up there. And of the one's mentioned, I'd put the Chaos Rings series, The World Ends with You and Oceanhorn. Sorry, know this isn't exactly what you asked for.

10. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    My picks (cant have just 3, but i'll narrow as best i can):

Chaos Rings 1, Omega & 2
    Doom & Destiny
    Spiral
    Heroes & Castles
    Horn
    Devil's Attorney (!)
    Drakerider
    Dungelot

More best ones are the ports... We have KOTOR, TWEWY, the FF roster, Bard's Tale, XCom.

11. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    Final Fantasy Tactics War of the Lions
    Doom & Destiny
    Knights of Pen & Paper

The original FFT on the PS1 is what introduced me to RPGs. Nothing beats an amazing first! :D

12. Bernar

Bernar Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Portugal
    I loved Swordigo. Currently playing Oceanhorn.

13. GuyOnDrugs (GOD)

GuyOnDrugs (GOD) Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2013
    Star Wars: KotOR
    Aralon: Sword and Shadow
    The Bard's Tale

14. Junbugo

Junbugo Member

Dec 1, 2012
    Orc: vengeance
    Infinity blade
    Juggernaut: revenge of the sovering

15. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Ravensword 2
    Heroes and Castles
    Aralon: Sword and Shadow
    The bards tale

16. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Lots of games here aren't roleplaying games, say IB2 or Juggernaut.
    I am oldschool, I insist that an RPG plays like one. The real yardstick is if you can really play a role: make different choices that have consequences. Storytelling is also very important for me.
    That said, here we go:
    - King of Dragon Pass. Alltime favorite and current #1 on my list. Choices *have* consequences. Often much later down the road.
    - The Spiderweb games (Avernums, Avadon)
    - The Chaos Rings games
    - Crow: while nothing like an RPG (somewhat breaking my own rule above), it really draws you into the titular character and its world. Interesting storytelling too, and eyecandy.

Honorable mentions go to:
    Horn, for great worldbuilding, storytelling and eyecandy.
    The Quest series, for worldbuilding and all the nifty stuff you can do, like enchanting or potionbrewing.
    Kingturn series: while a tactics game, it has good storytelling, character- and worldbuilding.
    Sage Fusion 1 & 2, Shadowrun, Tunnel Tail (Warrior Mice as playercharacters, wonderful small details in the world), Baldur's Gate, Lili, Ash 1 & 2, the Ravenmarks for extra lots of worlbuilding and detail and the most different Elves ever (yep, topping my beloved Drow), Highborn for fantastic humor and silliness, Crimson:Steam Pirates & Tradewind Legends for being different. Elder Sign:Omens, for being fantastically Lovecraftian.

Still waiting for the best roleplaying game ever to get ported to iOS: Planescape:Torment.

17. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Well, before it was rendered useless because of the lack if support, I might have said Crimson Gem Saga. But since its broke thanks to newer a newer iOS I'll choose three others.

My top three would then be
    1. Chrono Trigger (so long and good)
    2. Ravensword 2 (gorgeous and solid 3D look)
    3. Final Fantasy III (so many choices in this game!)

My honorable mentions are QuestLord, Saturday Morning RPG, and Dragon Fantasy. Frane: Dragon's Odyssey was pretty good too, but different.

18. c.ihls

c.ihls Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Missing Gurk III here :D

19. RLennon

RLennon Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2013
    What? No love for Silversword? It's the only game that I keep coming back to.

I like Battleheart as well

I agree with one if the earlier posts in that I am looking for a real RPG. There seem to be a lot of games with 'RPG Elements', but not a lot of real RPGs like Silversword.

Are there any real RPGs that are flying under the radar? I'd love to find out

Rob

20. gemineye62

gemineye62 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    #20 gemineye62, Nov 28, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
    I'm really surprised no one mentioned Bastion.

I also really liked Ocs Vengence and Ravensword 2.

Thanks