iTrade announced

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by jaisor, Apr 16, 2009.

1. jaisor

jaisor Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Lead Software Developer
    Irvine CA
    #1 jaisor, Apr 16, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
    Hey all I want to officially announce the upcoming addition to fantasy stock trading - iTrade.

Here are the highlights:
    • App price: Originally free, then depends on usage we might have to bump it up to cover the server and data costs
    • Starting amount: $100,000.00 virtual money
    • Stocks available: almost all stocks from the Russell 1000 list
    • Transaction fee: $10 virtual money
    • Transaction limit: 50 transactions/day

You trade only when the NYSE is open, you see delayed quotes from the app but the transactions are placed with live quotes at the time of submission.

You compete with other players, and your screenname is displayed on the scoreboard with your previous transactions.

Every month the game resets, selling all user stocks, electing monthly winners and resetting the portfolio amount to a fresh $100,000.00 virtual money. However the server keeps track of your monthly gains (losses) and averages them in the overall score boards.

Here are a few screenshots.
    We have a few beta spots open so if you want to experience the game early send me your UUID in a private message and I'll hook you up with a binary.

Attached Files:

2. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    Well I sent my UDID# to you. I've been wanting to try one of these games except the last one I tried was really, really bad. This one seems to have a cool-looking interface and some colorful graphics. For free, I think this app will hit the Top 100 Charts in no time :)

3. jaisor

jaisor Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Lead Software Developer
    Irvine CA
    Done, let me know if you have issues with it or what you think. The NYSE market is closed right now so all your transactions will have status pending till tomorrow morning when the market opens and the server submits them.

4. hecklerx

hecklerx Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Switzerland
    I would like to be in the beta, I'll send you my uuid! Thanks! :)

5. CandyNJ66

CandyNJ66 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Writer
    I sent my UDID as well :)

6. jaisor

jaisor Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Lead Software Developer
    Irvine CA
    Done binary sent, let me know what you all think. If I keep getting too many more of these, I'll start updating the profile like once every 2-3 hours, its a bit of work to do it for each device. So for the next few - might take a few hours, sorry for the delay.

7. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    pm sent

i tried stockplay, which is expensive and total rubbish, i suspect from your screen shots you are a lot more finished than they are - every second screen says coming next version :)

8. FilthyCanadian

FilthyCanadian Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Ontario Canada
  9. Vester

Vester Well-Known Member

#9 Vester, Apr 17, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
    hmmmmm, hopefully it will be better than the real life stock market >:l

10. jaisor

jaisor Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Lead Software Developer
    Irvine CA
    Heh no problem, UUID is a unique identifier for each iPhone / iPod touch device. Developers are able to send beta's with Apple's Ad-Hoc distribution mechanism but the provisioning for that mechanism required the UUID for each device the beta will run on - kind of a protective mechanism so the compiled binary will not run on any unintended devices.

More information is available on the web, but here are some links:
    http://getsatisfaction.com/socialbomb/topics/discovering_your_iphone_uuid_for_beta_testing
    http://www.lexcycle.com/finding-your-uuid

11. jaisor

jaisor Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Lead Software Developer
    Irvine CA
    Ok I hope I replied to all beta test requests, if I forgot someone, please remind me again in one hour. Please post comments and opinions back in this thread.

Also one great tester already commented that we can charge $0.99 to $1.99 for this app. I want to gather more opinions, what do you guys think? I know nothing beats free and we would try to keep it free but we have a small concern about our server as it has not been tested with an avalanche of users.

This is our first exclusively server based game and a few good days selling at $1.99 will definitely help for a better server. What do you all think?

12. theone1007

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    May I post some screenshots of some of the bugs I mentioned? Or not the right time?

13. jaisor

jaisor Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Lead Software Developer
    Irvine CA
    Please do!

14. theone1007

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    #14 theone1007, Apr 17, 2009
    Here they are. As you can see, there are the n/a signs for the day high price, ask price, and bid price. Andy is in the high scores with a +6,000 or something like that but when clicking on his profile it shows net worth: $0 (this is in the last month tab of the scoreboard).

And as for the white screen, there it is. Doesn't load or do anything.

Also, the day low price is 43.83, but it is shown as a lower price 43.54.

Attached Files:

15. Vester

Vester Well-Known Member

ummmmmmm mine says it cannot be installed cuz its not verified, help! >:l

16. jaisor

jaisor Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Lead Software Developer
    Irvine CA
    Make sure you have installed the beta tester provisioning before you sync the app.

17. jaisor

jaisor Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Lead Software Developer
    Irvine CA
    Hey awesome iPhone skin! Some of the stock data is just not available for all stocks, the AAP is N/A for ask price even in Yahoo and Google. Not much I can do about that, maybe just hide the fields instead of listing their values as N/A?

The last month profile view is a little confusing I agree. I need to clean it up. Since the system resets every month there is no stock for last moth but since I have reused that screen from the current month - some of those fields remained and have confusing values. Will fix.

The white screen did load for me but it took a while. We use direct RSS feeds for those news and if the link is broken or takes forever to load it will show as a white screen. I think I can pop the "loading..." bubble on that view while loading and help alleviate the problem.

Thanks for the great post. I'll work on those issue the next few days and send an updated binary.

18. theone1007

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    #18 theone1007, Apr 17, 2009
    Glad I could help :) I want to make this game hit the Top 100 Paid or Free because this deserves it. Way, I mean WAY better than that 9.99 StockPlay game and the screens are gorgeous. The screens, icons, and everything is wonderful, and I believe that this is the best of its kind.

I'm gonna play around with it and see what else happens but otherwise that's the stuff I've found so far. Will post/pm/email you if I find any more :)

EDIT: Activision charts look a little bit... weird.

Attached Files:

19. jaisor

jaisor Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Lead Software Developer
    Irvine CA
    Thanks for the kind words. The Activision was not the only one that looked weird - all did, fortunately its a server-side issue that does need improvement. The data sent to the weekly graph does not contain all of the daily values. That is all fixed at the end of the day when a server job aligns the data with Briter system's - which just happened so the graphs look normal again.

I need to fix the server to properly include the daily values in the weekly graphs tho - but like I said server-side issue so I can fix it at anytime without waiting on Apple's review process.

20. theone1007

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    Ok cool. Sorry if I'm being a nuisance or anything, but my goal is to make your app sell and have people give good feedback about it.(if you decide on giving it a price) :).