Pixel Defenders Puzzle (by Gary Whittle)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Vovin, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Mirkwood

Mirkwood Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2012
    Game is so good! I'm so glad I decided to give it a purchase.

The tutorial was very helpful and informative, and the core mechanics themselves are solid, and very fun.

Loving what I've played so far!

2. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I agree it would be good to reward stock items for replaying previously completed levels if it can be done. Maybe placing certain restrictions (like only the last 3 levels or solething) so players can't just grind on stage 1.

3. Impressions

Impressions Member

Mar 21, 2012
    I just passed this so called "huge leap in difficulty" without even considering using a stock item. Before coming to the forums and calling the developers "greedy" maybe you should evaluate whether you're playing this game correctly.

That being said, I do agree that items should be refunded if the level wasn't cleared.

PS. AWESOME GAME!!! Thanks devs!

4. Dracil

Dracil Member

Apr 12, 2012
    I would actually like to see Endless mode give you money with which to buy items, kinda like how Triple Town does it.

5. shawntim

shawntim Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Male
    I'm having difficulty launching the game. It just hangs at the "Social Titans" screen for a long time. I've also tried deleting and reinstalling the app, but I can't get past that screen.

App's legit and phone's not jailbroken.

Anyone experienced this before?

6. formulae

formulae Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2012
    Hi shawntim. What specific phone are you using? And what iOS version?

Are you running low on HD space? Could you try freeing some space and trying to launch it again?

7. etonblue

etonblue Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Well worth the price (and in my opinion, you are probably undercharging). Put me firmly in the no-undo camp. There is no timer on move placement, so there is no excuse for placing a move poorly other than user error. Don't get me wrong, I do it all the time, but it's my own damn fault each time and you shouldn't coddle me.

Great game. I can't wait for the new levels :p

8. shawntim

shawntim Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Male
    Hi formulae, I'm on iPhone 5, 64Gb, running iOS 6.0.2. I have 382MB of physical space left, but i have no problems launching larger games like Horn, IB2 etc. In terms of RAM, I can reboot the phone fresh, and the app still hangs on Social Titans.

Oh and I'm downloading this from the Singapore AppStore. Any region limitation?

9. sfcl33t

sfcl33t New Member
    Patreon Silver

May 12, 2012
    Same thing happened to me. For some reason I am also unable to unlock level 10. I have 3 stars on the first 9 but it won't let me select 10.

10. aloepar1

aloepar1 Well-Known Member

May 26, 2009
    USA
    #90 aloepar1, Dec 25, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
    Same here. I'm stuck in level 9. I have 3 stars in all the levels except level 6 (2.5 stars). Any reason why level 10 is not showing?

Update: After redoing level 9 I was able to advance to level 10. I guess after you pass a level, if you dont click "next level", the game won't remember you passed it next time you play and will have to redo it.

11. Brimah

Brimah Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Same issue as above, will try to redo 9 and see if it unlocks.

12. formulae

Dec 15, 2012
    There shouldn't be any region limitation. You're the third person to have this problem. Though I'm not sure what's causing it, the other two people could launch it after making some extra space on the HD - no idea why that would affect anything though. Can you give it a try?

13. formulae

Dec 15, 2012
    That's very strange behaviour. There should be no reason why it won't allow you to advance. Regardless of whether you select "next level" or go back to the main menu, it should save your progress.

Are you guys selecting the tab (entitled 'II', the others being 'I', 'III' and 'IV') along the bottom to see the next page of levels (10 though 18)?

14. wstutt

wstutt New Member

Dec 27, 2012
    #94 wstutt, Dec 27, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
    Hello sir,

I created an account just to reply to you since you seem so responsive.

I agree with the others about how there should be some sort of endless attack mode with gradually stronger enemies coming in waves.

My biggest complaint so far is with regards to the shop items. I do think they should be refunded if you fail or quit a stage, and also should be acquirable by replaying previous levels. Right now I am on level 19, and the difficulty has ramped up so much that I think I need them, but am too afraid to use them because I still have a lot of levels to go. Since they are not renewable, it feels like I am being pressured to pay money for the packs of consumables, and it detracts from the experience somewhat. If we were able to grind the items out, it would make the pressure much less and make it feel like a more positive experience.

This is an excellent game and if you were to change the IAP model just slightly to allow for a grind, I wouldn't hesitate to pay more for the app, since it is easily a $4 or $5 game otherwise.

15. aloepar1

aloepar1 Well-Known Member

May 26, 2009
    USA
    Yep. When I selected the second tab "II", it kept showing everything locked. After replying level 9, level 10 got unlocked. It's been fine ever since. I'm in level 15 right now.

16. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    I have to say that this game kicks some serious butt! I can't stop playing. :) Not only that, but I got my partner in crime (and his GF) completely addicted to this game. Suffice it to say, we aren't making much progress on our next game at the moment. ;)

I love the fact that I can play this game with one hand. Perfect for times when I'm holding the new baby in the other arm.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but it might be nice if there was a # of turns needed to acquire 3 stars at level end. Not a big deal, but a few times I've thought I did pretty good only to see that I got a half star for turns.

Anyway, great game!

17. etonblue

etonblue Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Okay, I'm beginning to come to the conclusion that I suck at these match-3 games. After flying through levels 1-26 without much trouble, I cannot, for the life of me, even advance to stage 3 of level 27, which I suspect has a lot to do with a fundamental lack of understanding of the basic strategy of these things (never played one before). Anyone have any tips, pointers, general strategy advice for a relative newb?

18. formulae

Dec 15, 2012
    It's in the works ;D

19. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas

:O

Saweet! I can't wait.

20. formulae

Dec 15, 2012
    Thanks Mike! I've been playing Mikey Shorts as it happens (which is awesome) so the can't-stop-playing-ness is reciprocal ;D

Just to let everyone know, progress on the 1.1 update is coming along well, with the following features already completed:
    • Achievements
    • Endless Mode Leaderboard
    • Full iPhone 5 and iPad support (full res on both)
    • Mute button now obeyed
    • Colorblind settings

With more to come before the update ships some time this month :)